Sign in to follow this  
Charlie C

Can you have Aspergers and learning disabilities at the same time?

when i was assessed at 14 for A.S my IQ level came back spot on '70' exactly so where would this leave me then??? im now young adult so may have changed lot over time?um? i have dyspraxia too though suppose this counts as specific LD though! confusing!

XKLX

There are lots of different assessments for IQ/cogntive ability.

Because of the speech and language difficulties associated with an ASD it is always advisable that some non-verbal cognitive assessments are also carried out as those on the spectrum tend to do better on those types of assessments.

And as different skill sets are assessed, and then combined to give an 'average' cognitive/IQ score, those on the spectrum tend to have a spikey profile and often have SpLD as well as areas of ability. For example my sons scores range from 92nd percentile [where he would achieve higher than 92 out of 100 children - to less than the first percentile for other skills.

His cognitive ability was assessed as around average. Some higher scores, some average, and a SpLD [where he scored 71]that bought his overall score down to 90.

My understanding, although it maybe wrong, is that those who have alearning disability tend to score at the lower end on many of the skill sets.

But, as I've said, it often depends on the assessments being carried out.

And anyone who has seen the Amanda Baggs video on You Tube [in my language], is often shocked by the assumptions they make during the first part of her video, compared with her typed dialogue in the second half. They seem to be from two totally different people. One severely retarded, and the other eloquent and gifted. Yet it is from the same person.

Edited by Sally44

An IQ test (intelligence quotient) is a very crude way of measuring someones intelligence.100 is the average. 95% of people score between 130 and 70 and would be considered withing the rang of "normal". Anything lower than 70 would indicate a learning disability.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/General-Learning-Disability.htm

Edited by chris54

I have autism and a learning disability. they tested my learning abilitiy which below 70 is clast as a learning disability. different number means different learning disabilities going from mild-moderate-severe. The test they use is called WECHLERS but that test is different to the one that tests for your ASD.

intelligitcalabiltiyreport2.jpg

also was declined aspergers because i had a speech and language delay as a kid and something call expressive and recptive difficulties so they diagnosed me with autism

Edited by Special_talent123