Hi, I'm Mitch, new to the forum. We have two boys 13 and 10, we are waiting at the moment for our 10 year to be assessed for possible ASD/OCD. He was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when he was 4 years old with having severe speech and language disorder. We are now having difficulties with his behaviour, he has compulsive behaviour which affects the rest of the family. He often gets very annoyed, shouts, slams doors and no matter what we say to calm him down, he just does not listen but he soon forgets what the issue was, while the rest of the family are upset!

We are finding it very difficult and thus putting an enormous strain on the family. Does this sound familar or are we going mad!

My boys are younger and have different issues. I can relate to going through a bad patch, though. When my middle son was four and five he hurt his baby sister so often that she had started to cry silently. At the time we would have remortgaged to find a solution and it was breaking our hearts. Things have changed completely now and he only hurts her occasionally (due to our golden labrador, Lola, who has a lovely bond with him). As you are experiencing them bad patches feel all-consuming, but don't necessarily stay that way, and sometimes something unexpected makes the difference. I know you know all of this, but when we were going through our bad patch I found other people's success stories helpful. Hope things improve, and that someone replies to you who has more specific understanding.

Thank you for that. I know things will get better. I think at the moment our son just seems very anxious. I feel his OCD has got worse this year, he goes around the house tapping objects and his brother. This happens every night, he has always had to have a routine especially at bedtime and it just takes such a long time for him to get to bed. We have seen a Community Paediatrician who feels he does not have typical features of ASD as he has good eye contact and he was able to sit nicely throughout the 1hr 15mins consultation! But she has referred him to be assessed in detail for ASD.

Hi Mitch, I can relate to you. My son did similar things when he was younger and in his case got worse as he got older. I hope the same won't happen to your son. It is great that he is going to be assessed in detail for ASD, hopefully you won't have to wait too long. Once you have the asd confirmed should it be that then you will be in a position to get help that you need for your son. Do update us on how things are going. Your son could be aspergers rather that asd, have you considered that, or has anyone brought that possibility up to you?

Hi Jeanne, both myself and my husband think our son has aspergers and as he has got older it seems to show more. We will just have to wait for the assessment, we have been waiting since January so hopefully not long now!

Hi

I'm new on here but I can totally relate to your post, we have days like that too with my 7yr old. We've been through the assessment process for ASD a few years ago, to be told "its his age" "he'll grow out of it" Now he's getting more angry and violent, so I've gone to a different GP who agreed within 5 mins of seeing him, that "there's definitely something" and is referring him again.

So.....in answer to your question.....yes it does sound familiar, and nice to know we're not the only ones going through it, you're not alone xx

Hi hollypoppy,

Thank you, It does depend on who you see with these assessments. We have seen quite a few different Paediatricians now and this last one seems to be fairly understanding. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your son to be seen.

Welcome

This sounds really familiar, autistic rages, meltdowns and shutdowns are upsetting for all involved. I tend to call them behavioural seizures to put them into perspective. Sounds like he cant communicate in words what he is trying to tell you so can only communicate with actions when he gets so worked up.

"multicoloured mayhem" is a useful book ive found, although im not really a parent it can feel like im a parent of my parent because my mum is in denial about my autism, other disabilities and others feelings.