A-S warrior

the penguin hunt.

As alot of you know, my nan passed away in april. i was woken in the night with the news and the the first thing i did was sign into this place and post the news. so as i shared that with you, im going to share this.

we were all given money from my grandad to buy something to remind us of nan, i was going to get another tattoo, but i thought well she doesnt actully like tattoos and its just an excuse for me to go under the needle again. so i had a think about it and decided to start a familly heirloom.

she loved penguins, and her nickname was nanny silver. so i thought i,ll get a silver chain and a penguin charm, and pass it on to the next born girl in the familly on her 18th birthday. the next born girl will be my new cousion holly, who is due in september and was the grandchild of my nan, as shes my uncles daughter (familly trees are confusing arnt they?) she can then pass it on to the next girl to be born and add a charm if she wants too.

the only problem is finding a penguin charm, i flat out refuse to order it online as that destroys the sentiment. i went all over town today and couldnt find one, so now i have to go on a bit of a travel. i will find one if its the last thing i do. you may ask you have 18 years to get it why are you so worryed? well i know what im like and i,ll probably end up spending the money, so i have to do it now so the charm is safe. so im going to try arundel this week, as i know that place is a gold mine for this kind of thing.

basically im just sharing this little story and will update this topic as i travel. will i find the penguin? wait and see.

A-S Warrior why do you not commision a penguin froma jewelry maker and then you can have an input into exactly what it might look like. What was your Nans favorite colour, why not incorporate a semi precious stone for an eye into the work reflect this colour for example.

As you say you have time on your hand. I think this is a wonderfull idea and one not to cut corners on it is that good. There are a number of artisan jewelry makers out there and to model a penguine in wax and cast it in silver is not an expensive process in many ways. You might have to add a bit not sure what your budget is, my thought is, so what. There are penguins and then there are penguins and I would like to think it is a cheeky penguin to reflect your own personality for example.

My favorite penguin story is that the dockers in Liverpool used to run a dockers book. The book was a collection of item that individuals would like to aquire should they somehow happen to pass through the hands of the dockers being unloaded off the container ships and into the back of a lorry. Strong rummour had it that the was a pet penguin listed as a want in the book. Eventually a consignment of 24 penguins arrived in the port bound for Chester Zoo from South America. By all accounts one of them somehow escaped and managed to jump overboard on arrival and was last seen swimming up the Mersey. I doubt that is in fact true what is possibly a fact is that the item penguin was crossed off in the dockers book now and someone has a somewhat unusual pet.

Great idea A-S Warrior take your time on making the right decision, just a thought.

A-S Warrior why do you not commision a penguin froma jewelry maker and then you can have an input into exactly what it might look like.

What was your Nans favorite colour, why not incorporate a semi precious stone for an eye into the work reflect this colour for example.

As you say you have time on your hand. I think this is a wonderfull idea and one not to cut corners on it is that good. There are a number of artisan jewelry makers out there and to model a penguine in wax and cast it in silver is not an expensive process in many ways.

You might have to add a bit not sure what your budget is, my thought is, so what. There are penguins and then there are penguins and I would like to think it is a cheeky penguin to reflect your own personality for example.

Great idea A-S Warrior take your time on making the right decision, just a thought.

Good ideas here - pretty much what I would have said...

If this route is more expensive than you are able to afford - then I'd trawl back through the jewellery shops - and ask if they have catalogues for pendants or charms and see if they can order one in for you - gotta charm the shop people a bit but I've done it once before for a present for my mum so it's possible - maybe not very possible - but possible nevertheless.

Good luck :)

good posts, as far as money goes, for something like this im sure other familly members can chip in if i cant afford to pay the whole bill (pun intended) lancs you mention favorate colour, well ,my nans favorate colour was turquoise so i think a turquoise stone would look increadible, maybe turquoise eyes? i,ll still do a bit of travelling beacuse i like to get out of the house, problem is if i make it look too good then holly might not want to pass it on lol. agian i will update things as they happen.

You could also consider using the turquoise as the colour for the tummy of the penguin - my sister had a charm that was like that and it looked effective (it was a bear - and the colour was used to contrast against the silver to make it 2 tone)

i like it, i like it. i think the tummy would look cleaner too. it shouldnt cost too much espeshilly when its in silver and it isnt going to be big.

It shouldn't cost that much - and another possible way to save some cash is to do what my mum does - she gets her old bracelets and stuff and she goes to a place that melts it down and makes new stuff for her.

You'd have to get a quote and check me on that though cuz I am just assuming that if you have the silver it will cost less - even though the process of them melting it down will cost something - it might be less than buying the silver in the first place... Also assuming your family has bits of silver lying around... but it can add more meaning too in a way by recycling things that are already in the family.

The price of silver is higher than it used to be.... that's why I am suggesting this (it used to be dirt cheap a few years ago in comparison to gold but the price gap between them has lessened over the last decade).

PS - my mum pays between 40 quid and 120 depending on what she's having done - it's usually rings... the amount of metal in them is similar to that of a charm - and also my mum usually uses gold so I don't know if silver would lower the price or if she's paying mostly for the process of making things....

Turquoise isn't too expensive at all and you can get some nice variations of it - from quite clean stones to one's with line's running through that can add character. (I had a passing interest in gems and rocks and fossils lol)

much to consider, i,ll talk it all over with the family, with all the posts mentioned here. i think we could be on to a winner with these ideas. alot can happen in 18 years, whos to say i wont add more to the chain in that time. wow i,ll be 40 when i pass this chain on :unsure:

You mentioned going to Arundel, could you travel to Brighton ?

Although I don't know Brighton well, there are lots of small interesting shops, especially in the part called The Laines. Maybe you could find a jeweller there who would be interested in your project ?

You mentioned going to Arundel, could you travel to Brighton ?

Although I don't know Brighton well, there are lots of small interesting shops, especially in the part called The Laines. Maybe you could find a jeweller there who would be interested in your project ?

brighton would be a good bet but im so bored of going there lol, however it could be the ideal place. the lanes can be a bit hit and miss but i,ll see when i get there.

much to consider, i,ll talk it all over with the family, with all the posts mentioned here. i think we could be on to a winner with these ideas. alot can happen in 18 years, whos to say i wont add more to the chain in that time. wow i,ll be 40 when i pass this chain on :unsure:

Kinda mind blowing how different your life could be in 18 years isn't it?

Good luck with the plans :)

Kinda mind blowing how different your life could be in 18 years isn't it?

i,ll probably still be in this arm chair typing away on here, i wont be kilamanjaro or everest, i,ll be crab nebula.

There's plenty of nebulas to choose from - I like the Tarantula, Eagle, Horsehead, Carina nebulas... and the War and Peace one - although I like them all - especially when they take images using different light waves....

So you don't fancy using the skull and crossbones nebula for your member title then?

Wasn't being sarcastic mate, was being honest - I never know what you will say or do next - it's interesting.

The "yeah yeah" was me meaning that 2030 is too long away for me to comprehend in terms of names :)

found one! just what i was looking for, found it in chichester. the shop was a real nice place, it was like a batcave for all sorts of weird and wonderful jewlrey, they had a charm for everything. the shop had a sence of magic as i walked in. certainly not your everyday highstreet jewlers. who would of thought it? every other jewlers i went to looked at me like i was mad when i asked for a penguin.

now im looking to add a turquoise gem stone to the chain. not going to change the charm itself, beacuse it looks fantsatic on its own.

not that i was going against the advice here, its just when something feels right, you just have to trust yourself. plus penguin charms are very hard to find.

Well done always think when you really want something in life for the right reasons fate tends to deal you a good hand and these things arrive to us, cool.