Mannify

I like this

I've honestly no idea how to direct you to it, Special. It's a photo of a bull-fighter having a breakdown because the bull refuses to fight him despite his injuries. The bull-fighter quits after that and becomes an opponent of bull-fighting. It's quite an amazing photo.

563327_442768082423291_1002261482_n.jpgOh, I've done it.And the text says this:

This incredible photo marks the end of Matador Torero Alvaro Munera's career. Hecollapsed in remorse mid-fight when he realized he was having to prompt this otherwise gentle beast to fight. He went on to become an avid opponent of bullfights. (The look on this bull's face says it all for me. Even grievously wounded by picadors, he did not attack this man.)

Torrero Munera is quoted as saying of this moment: "And suddenly, I looked at the bull. He had this innocence that all animals have in their eyes, and he looked at me with this pleading. It was like a cry for justice, deep down inside of me. I describe it as being like a prayer - because if one confesses, it is hoped, that one is forgiven. I felt like the worst ###### on earth."

"Cows are amongst the gentlest of breathing creatures; none show more passionate tenderness to their young when deprived of them; and, in short, I am not ashamed to profess a deep love for these quiet creatures."

Aw, somebody appreciate my bull thing.

That sounds so bad :lol::devil:

The "bull thing" is alright... kinda would hope he'd had that realisation before stabbing it a few times though - but hey I'm really cynical tonight :oops: and at least he thought about it at some point....

What I find amazing is when you think about events in amphitheatre/arena type venues - especially in more distant history and it's pretty incredible how far people will go when they have a crowd behind them cheering for blood :D

:lol: Walked into that one.

What I find amazing is when you think about events in amphitheatre/arena type venues - especially in more distant history and it's pretty incredible how far people will go when they have a crowd behind them cheering for blood :D

I don't see how shouting "Off, off, off" on Britain's Got Talent is much different, though. It's the same mentality of anonymity through mass action. Things haven't changed that much.

Edited by Mannify

True - elements still exist in many forms and reality tv is a big culprit - they just manage to try and put a slant on it that it's "just for entertainment" but that's probably what they thought centuries ago too ;)

Although I will add that I am less compassionate for the people than I am the animals - the people often choose to engage in such behaviours, animals being forced/bred/encouraged to fight in these ways is not something I really agree with...

There are circumstances that are harder to draw lines on though - such as certain types of working dogs, for example police dogs, and various other uses of animals in military scenarios - and then uses for science - tricky area innit? Cause there can be justifications as well as accusations of cruelty...

Maybe I should shut up :lol:

I don't think the gladiators had much choice, really. I also think that contestants on BGT are deluded about their abilities and are thus seen as fair game somehow.

Animal cruelty is a topic in which I don't often engage because it's just too massive. I became vegetarian when I was 12, having made the connection between animals and meat at the age of three and protested for the next nine years (although I liked sausages and burgers, so they didn't count until I became properly vegetarian). That said, like you say, some medical stuff has been very important. I don't know. Too big.

You are right Mannify, it is too big an area - I guess part of me is reticent because of previous debates....

I think I'll take AS Warrior's advice and continue to "shut up" - for now at least ;)