Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

When is bullying bullying?

My son has AS and is 8, he constantly complains about being bullied at school. Often it is not by the same child but there is one boy he has been "attacked" by in the playround, younger than him, on a couple of occassions. When I bring it to the attention of the school they shrug it off and say that the other boy has "undiagnosed problems" and takes things the wrong way!

Is that my sons problem? I don't think so! If the boy needs help then he needs help - go get some for him, but if my son lashes out then it's unacceptable behaviour.

It seems when a child has special needs that are not clearly identified it is classed as misunderstood but a child that has a DX should know better. :angry:

If the school has acknowledged that the other child has problems and that these are affecting others in the playground then it would make sense for them to at least monitor the situation more closely and help identify the triggers. If the other boy takes things the wrong way and lashes out because he feels he is being 'got at' then he too must be having a pretty miserable time of it. Unless the school actually addresses these issues then this situation will continue. :(

I have been through this scenario a lot of times. In the end I had to question whether or not my son was really being bullied or just taking everyday playground stuff to heart. My conclusion is a mixture of the two. Most propably someone has been horrible to your son, but maybe your son is taking it more to heart than most would. I try to remember when I was little at school. Yes there were some horrible gits out there, but I personally believe this is merely training for life to come. You will not always be there to defend him. I probably sound harsh and uncaring - quite the opposite - I feel that helping my son to deal with his own problems for himself will help him in later life.

By the way I am obviously not condoning bullying in anyway. If you feel this is the case go to the head and make your feelings know right away.

My son gets alot of abuse from 2 children at school both have behavioural problems. There,s name calling , kicking , thumping etc.My son will be deliberately wound up by them and lash out very often hurting them :oops: .I,ve been into school many times and they now see the situation more clearly and keep an eye on things.We have also started a home/school diary and I use this to write exactly what my son has said about incidents on the playground. It has helped alot, as I don,t want my son to be so wound up that he acts violently,he also reads situations wrong and sometimes thinks an accidental push or shove is deliberate, he,s having social skills to help with this.I,d keep an eye on things and maybe a diary go into school and report any problems as they occur , good luck.

hi i4tbb had the same prob with twin1 xexplained to teacher i thought he could not read social cues she then started to tell him to be careful who he played with still have probs with both being bullied but me an hubby tell them to stand up for themselves have to do it cannot keep fighting their battles hard enough at home to seperate the twins from their little brother cannot fight their battles at school as well hope i dont sound negative just my view keep smilin luv karin xx

my nt son keeps misunderstanding situations and lashes out he gets excluded about once a fortnight.

I think this is a direct result of having a brother with ASD, who constantly teases him.