smileyK

my friend is thinking of going on baby food diet?

Please get this idea out of your head Smiley right now! Baby food is called BABY food because it is specifically made for BABIES and the nutritional requirements and portion sizes for BABIES.

I've had a little look at information about this diet.

It is advised that you eat between 12-15 jars per day to get nearly enough calories into your body. I have bought a lot of baby food over the last few years and I can assure you that this will be a very expensive diet apart from anything else!!

It looks like people do lose weight but as babies' tastebuds are undeveloped, savoury baby food is deliberately bland so it sounds like it is an incredibly boring diet. One commenter was only eating the fruit purees as it tasted better :rolleyes:

If your friend has the same on-going difficulties as yourself, I would suggest that inexpensive, homecooked food incorporating a good mix of the different food groups would be much more beneficial for her :) .

the only 'fad' diet i agree with is the atkins diet, that really does work, really! works. but you have to have a good relationship with food and a healthy mindset and you have neither one of those. just work on your mindset before you do anything, the babyfood diet is pwahahahahahahahahahahaha HA! HA! HAHAHHA!

ahem, that.

Yes it does exist.!!!

It doesn't sound like a good idea, as I see it baby food is called baby food because it's for babies - and have you tried the stuff? It aint that great, like goopy ###### :sick:

I would not recommend going to a diet that is based on this type of food - we have teeth because we are adults and don't need to subsist on inappropriate foods.

I do not understand why people go on diets anyway - if you really want to be healthy than a balanced and nutritional based lifestyle option would be best, and as part of that lifestyle, reasonable exercise should make up part of this.

I absolutely hate the fact that I am forced into "eating" liquids or near liquid foods because if I don't eat them I will die - it makes me angry that people would opt for diets such as "baby food" when I'm struggling like hell to keep up an intake of solid foods.

I do not understand why people go on diets anyway - if you really want to be healthy than a balanced and nutritional based lifestyle option would be best, and as part of that lifestyle, reasonable exercise should make up part of this.

well said my friend, thats what i preech all the time, good old fashioned balnced diet, never know it to fail.

Why does your friend want to go on this diet? What attracts her to this particular diet? Has she tried other diets and these haven't worked out?

Personally I don't think diets work. The mantra "eat less, do more" does not work. Our bodies are not bunsen burners that can just burn calories just like that.

I shudder to think of all the additives, sugar and salt that is contained in baby food. I don't think this is a healthy way to go and your friend should seriously reconsider before she makes herself seriously ill

smileyK

This is a serious warning to your friend.

DO NOT GO ON THIS BABY FOOD DIET AT ALL COSTS

Baby food contains MSG (monosodium glutamate) which is a dangerous neurotoxin. It can cause headaches, migraines, seizures, schizophrenia, manic depression...the list is endless

Please do not let your friend go on this diet

Personally I don't think diets work. The mantra "eat less, do more" does not work. Our bodies are not bunsen burners that can just burn calories just like that.

this is true, the number of calories burned is completltey irrelivent, its more about the metobolic reasponse of the body that will determine fat loss. thats why you should keep calories at a good level and not too low, and why you should do full body multi joint exersises, i.e squats, lunges etc. excessive cardio and calorie restriction isnt the way to go and you,ll end up going backwards in the end. (building fat burning muscle) and looking like a starving ethiopian.

this "friend" needs to read less celebrity magazines, and study more human physiology and bio mechanincs. the truth is in the science, not cosmopolitan.

oh and the 'my friend' thing is the oldest trick in the book, i know its you, and anybody that doesnt know its you is as stupid as this diet is.

I once saw an xray of someone who swallowed their toothbrush - I expect a baby spoon would be similar - not easy to pass - but I might opt for the spoon over the toothbrush :lol:

I once saw an xray of someone who swallowed their toothbrush - I expect a baby spoon would be similar - not easy to pass - but I might opt for the spoon over the toothbrush :lol:

i,ll opt for both over baby food, it will have more nutrition in it.

I would say that baby food will do no harm because of its make up, its pretty bland, I must admit I have a fondness for a 'Farleys Rusk'. I have even seen baby food on the table at a feed station of a triathlon, personally I would grab a bunch of bananas every time.

My real concern is that this is nothing whatsoever to do with the contents of the jar, have 15 jars a day and you could live off it I am sure, there are worse diets out there for example a handfull of grains many poor ###### have to live off in the third world. My concern is for what these jars stand for. It is easy to transpose the concept that these are in fact a meal. Well in fact they are not because any baby would need at least two of these to constitute a meal.

From experience I can see that an easy way to limit calorific intake and control eating behaviour is to assign false values to something and make it represent something else. I for example could believe that a pot noodle is a meal, but it is not appropriate for me because I have been out training and am down by about 1700cal today because of the exercise as such 5 pot noodles might be a meal but I can think of better ones to be honest. But it is easy for me to con myself, I could say a pot noodle is a meal just as you could say a jar of baby food is a meal. I could even tip it out on a plate and set the table and go through the rituals of eating a meal, but at the end of the day whilst this might con one side of my brain and make it feel in control common sense tells me its a load of ######, I know it is.

And as such Smiley I have a choice to make tonight do I decide to take on my eating disorder and challenge that side of me which says undereat, or do I fight against those false beliefs in the hope I might have a better life in the future. Believe me I face these challenges each and every day and so I am not dissmissing what you say. At the end of the day eat the baby food there is nothing I can do to stop you all I can do is decide things for myself. I want to train tomorrow I have a long bike ride penciled in, but if I don't eat tonght and get my body back in balance the chances of me spending 5 hours on the bike are not very good, as such i can either do what I want to or do the right thing and force the calories down.

The advice holds true for your friend, its universal.

Just a few thoughts.

@lancslad i might start a topic on eating disorders, i had one (albeit a mild one) when i first got into bodybuilding. i think it could be a good discussion, will welcome your input to, a) is it a good idea for a topic? and b ) would it help anyone?

@lancslad i might start a topic on eating disorders, i had one (albeit a mild one) when i first got into bodybuilding. i think it could be a good discussion, will welcome your input to, a) is it a good idea for a topic? and b ) would it help anyone?

It might help me, eating is a daily battle - and not just one battle - I have to have it at least 4 times a day in order to get anything into my body at all.

It is now 5:30 (ish) and I have "eaten" a milkshake and a banana

I just want to be able to eat!!!

Would you say my friend has an ED???

yes, yes, yes and yes!!! if she diddnt have an eating disorder she wouldnt have to ask the question. anyone with any basic knowledge knows the fundamemtnal is a complete diet with all the needed macro and micronutirents

It is now 5:30 (ish) and I have "eaten" a milkshake and a banana

you may be suprised with the content of my topic then, im a huge advocate for intermittent fasting, and i have the science too back it up. but more on that later.......

dont mis read my post though, wait until my topic before you think about anything, my post was very vauge.

Edited by A-S warrior

you may be suprised with the content of my topic then, im a huge advocate for intermittent fasting, and i have the science too back it up. but more on that later.......

dont mis read my post though, wait until my topic before you think about anything, my post was very vauge.

I'm not reading anything into anything - I'm just going through another war zone on this because I get tired of every day being a battle.

I have to note though that (controlled) fasting hasn't been much good for me in the past - it just makes me never want to eat again.

I'm not reading anything into anything - I'm just going through another war zone on this because I get tired of every day being a battle.

I have to note though that (controlled) fasting hasn't been much good for me in the past - it just makes me never want to eat again.

oh right, lol not good. yeah dont fast then, i fast daily for 16 to 18 hours but im sure to break my fast with a good meal, i eat in an 8 hour window and cram in 3500 to 4000 calories, and have alot of fun with it all. but thats the only reason i do it, beacuse i like the benifits of fasting, i have a good healthy mindset and i love, really! love, eating big meals.

for someone living with an eating disorder this invites the actions of anorexia, binging and purging and so on. so i only tend to reccomend it to someone whos got a sound mindset.

Edited by A-S warrior

I don't know if what I have has a name :lol: its part sensory, part phobia, part dislike of food, part hatred of things in my mouth, the whole process is abhorrent to me.

Despite this, I have little choice, I have to battle it out. I guess it's one of them stupid things where I just wish it wasn't a problem, it effects so many things, even something as simple as meeting a family member for a sandwich just fills me with fear and restaurants are a living hell.

I'll probably sit back and read whatever you post and stay out of it for a while cuz there's other people who can get some real use out of it (if they desire) and I wouldn't want to kill it with my negativity - I'll be watching the next space for it though, and will get involved at some point I imagine :thumbs:

Eat proper food and exercise sensibly :)

what do you think my friend should do if you were them???

scientific reaserch! ignore whats in magazines and turn to science. maybe even enroll on a physiology or biology course. and i wouldnt be the worst idea in the world to consider a nutrition course either.

treacle stomach lol

Years ago there used to be an advert for golden syrup (which my family called treacle) where the spoons danced and sung "stick it on your (toast, cereal, whatever)" that advert made me actually throw up and I haven't touched the stuff since.

The word treacle still freaks me out :oops:

Years ago there used to be an advert for golden syrup (which my family called treacle) where the spoons danced and sung "stick it on your (toast, cereal, whatever)" that advert made me actually throw up and I haven't touched the stuff since.

The word treacle still freaks me out :oops:

molasses is worse, its like eating tar.