mrsmoulds

Unsuitable housing.

What housing options are there available for people with ASD as my son is dreadfully unhappy at his current house, we managed to get him a sheltered living bungalow but he's the youngest on the street and totally isolated and lonely.

Social services says he doesn't meet the criteria for social care services and they can't help. What supported living options are out there and how does one go about implementing them?

Edited by mrsmoulds

I take it he is unhappy because being the youngest, he doesn't feel he fits in, but I am surprised you managed to get a sheltered living bungalow, as they are in big demand for elder people.

If it is you are seeking something aimed more at his age group, I know of nothing other than that some authorities have for troubled youngsters, drug users etc. But I suppose it is like everything everything is based on point scoring and a deficit of points means more suitable anything is just not available.

In fact Britain is particularly poor when it comes to anything to help anyone and ASD, well the government does not recognise it as a disability, so what hope local government.

I think the sad fact is many with ASD are living wherever they can get and just putting up with the negatives, or family are involved to make sure their family doesn't go to seed.

Myself I live in a private accommodation, all my neighbours are oldies, we all keep ourselves to ourselves and rarely see each other, I do not live well, I starve myself and I need telling to eat, clean, shower and tidy up as well I just exist, but now and again friends come around and say what they say as family, they have forgotten I exist. I am not good at living on my own, but that is the way it is, so I have to get on with it. But when I do see one or two of the oldies often it is they say they thought I was away, because they had not seen me for weeks and my flat was so quiet as no tv, I live very quietly. I also don't fit any criteria for better housing to meet my needs.

does your son have a learning disability with his autism? I am asking, because I am in a supported living accomodation for adults with learning disabilities (i am changing to diverse abilties) if your son does then you could contact social services for help. Otherwise have you tried NAS look in your area if there any autism specific places.

My son has a mild learning disability and ASD so initially we were referred to the community learning disability team as my son was being financially exploited and having all his benefits taken, he's very trusting and vulnerable, so he had a community care assessment but because he don't meet the critical / substantial needs they couldn't do anything for us.

then he qualifies for a social worker to get him into a supported accomodation . i know that they only qualify for critical to substantial cases, but they need to assess him first and then find him a place

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4009653

double check social services arent making excuses not to help you. See if you can find specific examples

including what was written in his disability benefits forms.

Social Services are really being helpful regarding my son Glen's situation. Glen may have to move next year to a different care home nearer to where we live but only if a care home is found that can meet his needs. Glen is a very complexed young man, he has ASD and moderate to severe learning difficulties. Do let us know how you are getting on get back on to social servies. Having a learning disability should help your course so to speak, that's what I've always found in the past.

NAS and British Association of Social Workers (BASW) produced an information booklet about assessing autistics (at either end of the spectrum) but my social worker appears to have completely ignored their guidance. Should i take the matter up with the BASW?

An organisation ive heard positive things about is a community based project known as Keyring.

http://www.keyring.org/Home the idea is the residents within a cluster of homes help each other.

So any talents your son has eg fixing computers could be swapped with another resident that

had talents he didnt eg cooking.

Have you as parents had a carers assessment? That's how our family got help.