SidiousUK

New addition

As my old dog is getting on a bit and on his last legs I have bought a new puppy to occupy me out of "office hours"

I see this as good therpy as there is nothing more likely to take you out of a routine than a baby animal and I am enjoying his company a lot but feel sad that the old one (my companion for almost 14 years) will not be around much longer. We had such great times together and sometimes I wish I could go with him when he suffles off to the big bone yard in the sky.

I plan to enter the new dog into trials he gets older. He may get on well, he may not, it is the taking part that counts and it is another reason to leave the house.

It's funny that I can't stand it when humans act like complete idiots or do not do things you tell them, but babies and animals I cope with fine,

Sidious I think there might simply be more variety to choose from when it comes to animals and fining a good fit is far easier. I know for example I am a Border Collie person they suit my personality. I have gone from having five and am now left with one who is 15. He does not have the temprement to deal with another pup or two and so I will wait until he passes away before deciding what to do next.

I have been researching into breeds but I kind of know what the answer will be. For me if the world was full of border collie people, focused, attentive, hyperactive, playful, a bit stupid in many ways and childlike at times then I am sure I would get on fine.

The new pup is a German Shepherd and the old one is a springer spaniel.

I've always had shepherds or springers

just find animals eaiser to deal with.

I was in France one with a girlfriend and I was told about the vicious guard dog next door that was chained up.

On a walk around the area, I found the guard dog and it was quite happy having its' belly tickled. It was not vicious towards me at all.

I'd like a greyhound or a lurcher - but my current dog has various issues - having another dog would make a lot of them worse...

It's sad though when a dog gets older, it's so easy to get attached - mine used to have brown in his hair on his face and neck and it's grey now and it's a reminder that he's in another phase of his life, will miss the little guy when he dies - hope that won't be for a few years yet.

I think in a way the best thing about having pets is they teach us about lifes cycle. It is hard when they get older and when I lose a dog I am always upset. I tend to find they make me think about my own position in my own life cycle and that things will not always remain the same and things will become more difficult as I age. I feel they help me focus on what I have going for me today and to use tomorrow to the best of my abilities because I will not be on this planet for ever. At that point I can be recycled and as you often say Sidious maybe my carbon structure can be used as building blocks for something fresh and vibrant.

Just a thought.

I think in a way the best thing about having pets is they teach us about lifes cycle. It is hard when they get older and when I lose a dog I am always upset. I tend to find they make me think about my own position in my own life cycle and that things will not always remain the same and things will become more difficult as I age. I feel they help me focus on what I have going for me today and to use tomorrow to the best of my abilities because I will not be on this planet for ever. At that point I can be recycled and as you often say Sidious maybe my carbon structure can be used as building blocks for something fresh and vibrant.

Just a thought.

Good point.

I think it also reminds us to try and enjoy things more and take things as they come... two things that I don't find easy to do... but a reminder is a good thing as we all can forget things at times...

Edited by darkshine

Have to agree with you Lanslad.

My first memorable experience of death was when our one of the family pets died.

When I had my diagnosis I was asked what would I feel like if my parents or my daughter died - I said it would not bother me and the thought of it now still brings the same feelings.

I was then asked what would happen when my dog dies - I said I would be devestated, which I will be.

There is some ongoing research about the benefits of pet therapy on autistics. i really hope your dog will help you when the older dog dies.

i lost a rabbit when i was a child but it didnt really affect me. My great (only) grandad dying however did when i was 12 but i have recovered from that enough to discuss him without feeling upset. i completely understand that loosing a pet is as bad as loosing a human relative (although accept that you Sidious has a different experience).

Congratualtions on your dog considering how long your dog has lasted im sure it will be a fine addition to your family.

i think animals are easier to understand than humans, there are books that explain all types of animal behaviour very little literature on why someone definately does x type of behaviour (the literature that does exist can pass off autistics as 'naughty' which i find really offensive).