Please can someone advise me. I've had a visit from someone from the Financial Assessment Team regarding the ESA benefit. All I wanted was advice on Glen's behalf for next year when his education ends. Glen's social worker referred me to the assessment team. However the guy that came said I had to claim for ESA now and should have done from when Glen was 18, I explained that the funding had been granted until Glen was 19 and that Glen shouldn't be paying anything until then. This guy though was very persistent and said to claim NOW.

I have tried contacting Glen's social worker but she is out of office!!

Can anyone tell if they are in a similar position to Glen or no someone who is, are you entitled to ESA whilst still in full time education whilst in a care home? I would really appreciate your replies. Many thanks.

This is what the government website says but it doesnt mention care homes grrrr

http://www.direct.go...jured/DG_171891

Found the NHS choices website mentions something about residential care, might have more luck looking there.

Really hoping you arent going to go around in circles between social services and health

http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/guide/practicalsupport/pages/carehomes.aspx

Also the MENCAP or NAS websites;

http://www.mencap.org.uk/all-about-learning-disability/money-benefits-and-assessments/money-and-benefits

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care.aspx

Really hope 1 can help you, there is also your MP if you have a good relationship with 1.

Edited by trekster

Hi trekster thanks for all your help. I am hoping to make the claim by phone this morning via the jobcentre, it is easier and quicker to make a claim by phone now. I've been advised to ring between 8 & 9am which is what I'm going to do. I will let you know how I get on. I can print the forms out online and fill them in but I would rather do it by phone if I can. It's looking likely that Glen will get esa but I don't know for use until I've spoken to them. Most of the esa will go straight to Essex County Council to help pay for Glen's care, Glen will be left with just over £20 a week but thats £20 a week that he hasn't got now so I can keep it in my account for him.

All this pressure from social services for a £20 sounds like a cost cutting exercise on their part pressurising people to claiming things they really arent going to be able to use.

Can you get a Personalised Budget for Glen?

Edited by trekster

Hi Trekster, a Personalised budget, what exactly is that?

http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/housing-benefits ...

...mentions housing and benefits in your area

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Health-Social-Care/Care-for-Adults/Advocacy-AES/Pages/Default.aspx

...for advocacy services

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Business-Partners/Partners/Adult-Social-Care-providers/care-providers/Pages/Default.aspx

...explains 'self directed support' in your area. i think you can get a personalised budget as a carer.

http://www.essexcares.org/

...section for carers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/social-care-network/2012/jan/17/personal-budgets-way-ahead-social

...guardian newspaper questioning if personalised budgets are the way ahead for social care.

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care/care-and-benefits-for-parents-and-carers/direct-payments-guide-for-parents-and-carers.aspx

..direct payments.

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care/care-and-benefits-for-parents-and-carers/carers-rights.aspx

...carers rights.

http://www.essexcares.org/articles/125/41/A-Trail-Blazing-Local-Authority-Trading-Company/d,Blog%20Details/

...a year ago mentioning the criticisms of community care overhall.

The idea behind the personalised budget is that people have more choice and control over their care.

" Self-directed support (SDS) is a system of social care that lets people take control of their own lives and support.

Under the old support system, social services and other professionals assessed you and then told you what services they were going to provide. In this system, you get to say what you want out of life, and plan what support would be best for you. Find out more by following the links below."

Can Glen communicate his needs to anyone? (verbally or otherwise) or do you have power of attorney over him?

Sorry if this is TMI and i really hope you can manage to get help for him.

There should be a self assessment form for ESA on here;

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance

....should give you an idea of Glens problems. If anyone wishes to dispute this have them turn up without warning to Glens

care home and witness his behaviour. grrr

Thanks very much Trekster, I appreciate it. I've got to ring jobcentre plus tomorrow to place a claim for esa for Glen on the phone so hopefully that will go through ok. I will let you know. The financial assessment I had done last week, I had a letter from them to say Glen should definitely be able to receive esa so tomorrow hopefully I will know. Glen will only get about £23 a week out of it though at the council will take the rest for help towards his care in the care home.

I do have power of attorney over Glen now, it's recently come though, he is unable to communicate his needs to anyone, he has not got the mental capacity to do so. He would literally have no idea as to what was going on regarding benefits or anything for that matter. I am also his appointee regarding his DLA etc.

I made my claim for Glen regarding ESA over the phone this morning, it seemed to have went ok. They are going to send for a letter to sign and I have to get a medical report from Glen's doctor. So it looks like Glen will receive ESA as I was told by the financial adviser who came to see me last week.

I also had a visit from a guy from connexions regarding doing a LDA for Glen, but as there is no point in Glen receiving education beyond next July he said it is not worth doing an assessment because unless I agree to Glen having further education an LDA isn't necessary and he also said it is highly likely Glen will be placed back in Essex next summer in a residential care home. I do not want to put Glen through more education when I know it has never worked for him over the years, School has always been the one thing that has made Glen the most anxious in his life.

JeanneA your welcome, I love to read your caring posts about your son. I'm currently trying to decide what to do about my education as i have just failed my postgraduate degree in Autism. i am devastated and it was only by about 8% and my tutor told me it would pass.

Hi trekster I am very sorry to hear you failed your degree. Are you able to take the degree again? do let me know what happens and please don't blame yourself too much, it's the taking part that matters and if you get the chance to retake the exam then thats is great. :-0

Hi, I just wondered if anyone could help me who like me has applied for ESA at some point, were your first payments similar to mine. I've had 2 payments gone into my account one of £30.45 and one of £40.60 I presume they are ESA payments as I'm not due any other money going in. I will have to ring the benefits office up tomorrow to find out whats going on.

I was told 2 weeks ago that Glen would get just over £71 a week, so I don't know why I've only received 2 small amounts so far. Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this? The claim is from the 10th of August, Many thanks.

I've got a medical certificate for Glen now ( called a med 3) and I am just about to post it off to the job center. I do hope that it will be sufficient in getting Glen's ESA money through.

Hi, I just wondered if anyone could help me who like me has applied for ESA at some point, were your first payments similar to mine. I've had 2 payments gone into my account one of £30.45 and one of £40.60 I presume they are ESA payments as I'm not due any other money going in. I will have to ring the benefits office up tomorrow to find out whats going on.

I was told 2 weeks ago that Glen would get just over £71 a week, so I don't know why I've only received 2 small amounts so far. Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this? The claim is from the 10th of August, Many thanks.

that does not sound right- usually paid every 2 weeks at the weekly amount. 142 if he gets £71 a week usually it be £142 in the starting date usually the amount is low then suddenly increases. what is glen on WRAG or the support group?

I've got a medical certificate for Glen now ( called a med 3) and I am just about to post it off to the job center. I do hope that it will be sufficient in getting Glen's ESA money through.

I got those a long time ago to get me claimed.

JeanneA your welcome, I love to read your caring posts about your son. I'm currently trying to decide what to do about my education as i have just failed my postgraduate degree in Autism. i am devastated and it was only by about 8% and my tutor told me it would pass.

cant u retake if its so close to passing time- i was like that and passed 2nd time as was so close

Well done to you SP for passing 2nd time thats fantastic, I hope you do the same trekster please let us know on here if that is your intention to take the exam again.

My son got ESA six months ago, but he recently had to have a medical, which he failed. Because Nick can go to the supermarket and doctors on his own they say that he has no communication problems and is fit for work!! He has had three failed jobs due to social difficulties but it makes no difference!! His medical interview was carried out by a "healthcare professional" with no experience with autism!! So be warned you will have to have a medical in a few months, so good luck!!

Thanks soraya thats not great to hear. It's been hard going so far trying to get ESA, and the thought of Glen having a medical in a few months feels me with dread to be honest. I know Glen will never be able to work, he is as his GP put on the medical certificate, "permantly disabled" sad as that made sound, but it's true, although is that good enough for these benefit people???

Looks like I've finally had some ESA money for Glen in my account this morning, I haven't worked out how much yet but it does look like quite a bit, hopefully all that is owed to my son so far. All thanks to the medical certificate I guess.

I haven't been told what group he is in as yet Kirsty, I presume I will get a letter regarding that it that what happened to you?

Put it this way he should be in the support group considering (no disrespect to him) he's unable to work and this is a permanent state.

Once they get a medical certificate, ESA put you on the assessment rate. This continues until they make a decision and you are put into either the WRA or SUPPORT group, then you get more money. This should happen within 13 weeks of first applying.

is that good enough for these benefit people???

*cynical reply warning*

Not likely Jeanne, not having a pulse seems to be the only criteria that gets you deemed unfit for work these days. Except for the ones that have been on it for years for ingrown toenails etc.

*cynical reply warning*

Not likely Jeanne, not having a pulse seems to be the only criteria that gets you deemed unfit for work these days. Except for the ones that have been on it for years for ingrown toenails etc.

Dekra thanks for the warning re the cynical reply warning. Totally get your point ESA is very difficult to claim.

JeanneA I hadn't realised your son wasn't on previous incapacity type benefits, my response would have been different if I had known. I really hope Glen gets put on SG ESA.

Thanks for all your comments, I hope Glen gets put into the support group, I guess I will have to wait and see. I do hope he doesn't have to go through any kind of medical assessment. The GP put on the medical certificate that Glen's disability was permanent, but even that probably won't be enough for these people?

Thanks Kirsty, Glen's GP did write a support letter and did the medical certificate. I'm glad you didn't have to go through a medical.