hollypoppy

lack of understanding in hospital

Hi

I just wondered what people experiences were of being treated in hospital for non-ASD problems?

The reason I ask is, that I work in a Hospital and one of our patients has Aspergers. His admission is through a totally unrelated medical condition. Luckily, through personal experience, I have an understanding of Aspergers and hopefully am treating my patient sensitively. I have heard various staff members using expressions such as "a bit odd", "he's a bit precious" " doesn't want to help himself" Staff also getting annoyed that he doesn't want to do things in "order" ( such as getting washed before breakfast)

In actual fact, he has been taken out of his own surroundings, placed in an environment with completely different routines, staff coming and going all day and evening, lots of noise, having needles stuck in him...the list goes on. the chance of sensory overload, I should imagine is very high!!

I'm not blaming my colleagues for their attitudes, I think it's ignorance and lack of understanding, but with just a little training we could make patients lives easier in this environment

It would be interesting to hear anyone elses experiences, staff or patient, good or bad

Hi Holly, I have autism and I am already worried im going to be sent into a mental hospital- which i believe can leave us vulnerable with non autistics? People with ASD like set routine, and change of routine can distress us. For me I need a lot of notice when things are going to change such as 2 weeks in advance not at the last minute. Also loud noise we are sensitive too - alarms set me off. I have my hands on my ears humming away its even harder with fireworks and thunder because there loudest to block out.

For me I need a lot of notice when things are going to change such as 2 weeks in advance not at the last minute.

Hi!

This is why I think medical staff need more training into ASD, especially in cases of emergency admissions to hospital, where there is no time to prepare for the change in routine.

This is precisely why I am observing and learning ASD (and related disorders) in my clinic, emphasising with parents and dealing with such patients more sensitively because many of the doctors do not understand or have the time to understand.

The problem is in an A&E department, staff do not have the time to "take stock" of a person's condition...they are there to save life. They would not be told anything about the patient apart from the condition they are brought in with

also i think it be helpful that autism alert cards are given out- like i had problem with opticians. It basically has information about autism in it. or you can go straight to www.autism.org.uk and get a batch of autism leaflets?

I was in hospital as an emergency admission 9 years ago. I went in with an unexplained serious stomach pain, and woke up after surgery to find I had been treated for peritonitis, had a tumour removed from my intestine, and had a colostomy. This was more surprises than I think most people could take in a day, but as an (undiagnosed) aspie I had total loverload, not helped by hallucinations caused by weird drug reactions. A fair number of the nurses were vile and uncaring bullies, and not just to me either. It was a horrendous experience.

Incidentally, clergy often get ill treated in hospital: the wise ones do everything they can to avoid their real occupation beng found out.

How many people is your patient expected to share with? Include all the random visitors and the number of staff.

There are around 14 visitors to the home im staying in per week and that is quite overloading to me.

Today one of them insisted 'you know my name' but she knows im autistic and yet doesnt recognise name blindness.

i find outpatient visits overloading.

As suspected NAS have a guide;

http://www.autism.org.uk/working-with/health/patients-with-autism-spectrum-disorders-guidance-for-health-professionals.aspx

Edited by trekster

Yow whats up dawg.

When I was in one particular psychiatric unit it actually felt like being in jail, you get m. I was there on a section 2 and things have got far worse (as if they weren't already bad enough).orst thing is staff are so overstretched, they have no time to talk with you. Doors to the ward are kept permanently locked. No belts, not even dressing gown belts, no polythene bags, aerosols and so on yeah you get me. Toiletries are kept locked up so you have to request them and staff keep your mobile phone charger, innit. Staff have to take you out for a smoke but they never seem to have the time to do it. Only 3 scheduled 'cigarette runs' per day if you are lucky. They didn't listen to what I said in ward rounds, medication was prescribed without my preferences or my needs taken into account and if I refused, I was taken to the seclusion room to be injected. If you don't calm down immediately, you are locked in there until you do. Windows on the ward only open about 4 inches so the heat is unbearable. Most of the staff have an attitude problem that is far worse than the patients who are really ill. I heard the ward manager storm into a public area on the ward and snap that the patients were pissing her off. She was so rushed off her feet that she never had a good word to say to anyone and was constantly stressed and harassed and impatient and angry with everyone, including her staff. If you don't drink, you can't go far a smoke, if you don't eat, you can't go for a smoke, if you don't take your meds, you can't go for a smoke, if you shout, you can't go for a smoke, infect if you don't 'behave' like a well person, you are forbidden a cigarette. My smoking needs were supposed to be assessed when I arrived on the ward and I was supposed to be offered nicotine replacement therapy... Not even mentioned when I arrived. There were notices up inviting you to fill in a patient survey, I asked for one and nobody could even find one for me. I had to ask several times in order to get my phone charged each time it required it, I could be using the toilet and a member of staff would unlock the toilet door from the outside and walk in. I could go on and on and on, I am so upset once again by my experiences, I would be terrified to tell a professional if I felt suicidal incase I end up back there.