Sign in to follow this  
smileyK

How many days is acceptable???

Three days a week seems acceptable. You need to leave a day between sessions to let your body and muscles to recover. If you go too often you are more likely to injure yourself.

i can't seem to leave a day in between and still feel bad if don't go still feel guilty like something missing for whole day if don't go and if don't go normally in morning make myself go in afternoon have go sometime during the day my drug do you think 4-5 is OTT then???

4-5 times a week seems excessive. If you really do have to go every day try to work different muscle groups so that your muscles have time to repair inbetween.

i do now try at least alternate time on machines (especially treadmill and cross trainer) also levels on them too so body doesn't get used to it! and try swap days of using other machines such as bike etc i always go on treadmill & cross trainer can't live without them two machines i would DIE!

Hi there! I try to go for a jog 3 days a week these days (don't always manage it though!), but in the past I have experienced the compulsion to exercise more than may be healthy. I live by rules. I always said that Sunday was a day of rest. I'm not especially religious, but it was a good excuse for that rule! And if my Mum said to me "you may only run for 20mins today" I would find that easier to stick to than if I tried telling myself the same thing - I would always push myself too much and my body couldn't recover. Would it be possible to mix in some lower intensity stuff, as A-S Warrior said, on the days in between the gym? Maybe walking or something? I do understand the guilt you describe though. For me it became a lesson in making new rules, that were a bit kinder to myself. Flippin' hard work though!! :)

I also feel guilty on the days I don't exercise but after a series of neck, back and knee problems I am trying to be sensible. My exercise routine is Monday - Zumba class, Tuesday - gym, Wednesday - Zumba class, Thursday - gym, Saturday - swimming. I try and go for a walk on a Sunday if the weather is fine but that still leaves me feeling guilty on a Thursday. I have been obsessive about exercising for the last 30 years despite hoping it was something I'd get too old for.