Sa Skimrande

The Underdog ?

Now I wish to ascertain if this is and aspie type thing or something else, the fact that in my case I tend not to follow the the hue and cry with any topic that is presented and it has been remarked on before I always tend to support those that everyone else thinks is wrong.

Take the current Savile case, sentiment is rife, the majority seem to think because someone is different therefore they are wrong before the law has had chance to prove on way or the other.

Myself, I believe in the rule of law and will not condemn this person until the law has had chance to act and because I will not condemn before the law decides I feel I am being looked upon as wrong at best as I have had many conversations on this sole topic.

But there was another years ago where public sentiment acted against a person and the police engaged in dishonourable actions in order to entrap. At that time I was vocal in not believing the rumours and the police entrapment and I was ridiculed for my belief, yet it was proved this person, this loner with learning difficulties was not wrong and so I was vindicated for being right all the time through the negativity.

And so I ask if others here being ASD also don't follow the majority thought, is it an aspie thing in that we believe in rules and so eek the law, or is it not aspie and in fact somthing else ?

I don't know what underdoggedness has to do with it but yes I see where you're coming from and society in general seems to have this primary belief that the media and the stories they tell are always the truth and nothing but the truth.

But I was educated to look beyond what I read and to question things. But if I roll back the clock to the time before my education (which would uncover my natural tendencies) I would say that I often saw a side to a story that no one else saw. I still do this and time and again I am proved right in the long run.

I do worry where society is going though and I think we all have just cause to be sceptical about quite a lot of things.

For example why is it that inflation has massively increased the cost of goods and services while the National Minimum Wage has only increased by a few pence? Why is it that employers do not seem to have a clear legal obligation to ensure they're paying fair and decent rates of pay to reflect on the work being done and simply default to the NMW rate no matter what? Why is it you see thousands and thousands of truly gifted and talented people not being offered jobs when clearly they have the ability to do them? You see the way I see it is this: unless society wakes up and realises we're all being short changed there won't be a future because no one will be able to afford anything any longer.

I believe little what the media comes out with. Often they are told what to print and publish. I look deeper into things rather than take/accept things at face value. I believe us aspies think very differently to the "masses" (excuse me if this term offends anyone). We are heading into an Orwellian state and being told what to think. Personally I think the Saville case is a cover-up in order to distract people away from what is really important )i.e. the global economy, jobs, wages, unecessary wars, children going missing etc). I remember Jimmy Saville from the 1970s but don't remember any hype then about the wrongdoing he is accused of today. The poor guy's dead and buried for goodness sake. Haven't the people that tell the media what to do got nothing else better to do? Do they really think we are all shallow? I believe we can all think "outside the box" and draw our own conclusions from things - yet get ridiculed if we follow the flow.

And so I ask if others here being ASD also don't follow the majority thought, is it an aspie thing in that we believe in rules and so eek the law, or is it not aspie and in fact somthing else ?

I can only speak for myself, so I don't know whether it is "Aspie thting" or not. I certainly don't run with the herd, I have my own thoughts and tend not to be influenced unless I fully understand and agree with the other view point. I tend to have a myriad of thoughts/images about things, often conflicting, these can run concurrently and I don't need a conclusion. There are so many ifs and buts to make it worth while following any particular chain. Events in the future can eliminate or reinforce some of the possibilites in a grid/matrix sort of way,and an answer might emerge. Given enough facts I can reach conclusions quickly.

You mentioned the Savile case, I never liked his TV persona, but I have never met him so I have no opinion, I don't know the facts, what is on the news is just hearsay, so it means nothing to me at the moment.

I agree with you on this law, I try not to prejudge situations.

Following rules isn't a preoccupation for me, generally what I do falls within the law and I have never fallen foul of it. Truth and honesty are the most important rules for me, being ridiculed is par for the course if you are not mainstream, sure it hurts, but I find being untruthful more painful.

Edited by raydon

I think I remember having seen Savile in person once and he was in a VW motorhome in the Chilterns, I was out there as I used to volunteer for the Chiltern Open Air Museum, but out of place he looked as he still wore the shell suit and to me I think the memory is that of a gaunt scrawny bird, but I am not fazed by celebrities they are just other people to me, chances I wouldn't recognise them anyway as I don't 'see' the people behind characters but as a kid, I liked his show but I didn't like him were all my friends were big followers of Savile, he was 'cool' apparently something I just never got.

But from what others have said on this I am getting the impression you may be like me in that we don't follow the herd and by that we don't ascribe to the herd thinking.

But yes for all this to be raked up now, this is feeding a public frenzy which is keeping public attention off other stuff I agree and it does not seem very professional for the police to be releasing tidbits of information to the press, it is as if they are complicit in playing a game just like the media does at whose order is a good question and why. But this is character assassination the guy is dead, he cannot defend himself but what is worse out of all this, is all the charities set up in his name and charities being funded from his will are trying to disassociate themselves from him as lets remember something, he is estimated to have raised 40 million pounds for charity, not including charities benefitting directly from his will, one I know of is getting 5 million, definitely not small change but how people forget the good when the media churns up the bad.

But some of the stuff I have read from people who have posted on various newsgroups, ye gods having read what I have, there is no hope for us and thank the gods we do have better people in law as that lot with their kangaroo justice need to be kept down.