A-S warrior

The wisdom thread. (for wise grumpy old men with plenty to say)

I'll start:

'You gotta know when to fold em'

Sometimes in life, your hand just isn't strong enough. its not failure to fold, and call it a day. If a task, job, mission or anything is becoming detrimental to your health or just making you generally unhappy, then one could argue the steaks are to high, and not worth the outcome. so dont ever be ashamed to fold, and try your luck on the next hand your delt. life is a game of poker, some hands are worth the gamble, some are just to weak and will only end up in defeat. If you know deep down, your confidence is low, your cards are too weak, and you feel the failure comming, fold before you get in too deep. when you get delt a royal flush or 5 ace's for goodness sake stay in the game and never quit.

Of course this is just my words, but i think when this thread gets going pepole are going to add exellent posts, look forward to hearing them, i love wisdom from the old boys! (and girls)

First off great idea for a post Ben but this old dog tends to disagree a little bit and would rephrase your thoughts a slightly different way.

What I would say is you have to know when your hand is good enough and take the risks because that is how we learn. I think a lot of people would have a good idea what constitutes a very good hand and they might know what is a terrible hand but the majority of hands in life are simply not that clear cut. I think a big mistake many people make is they believe everyone elses hand is going to be stronger than their own and so they back down far too easily and throw their cards in.

I agree that being pig headed and battling away when things simply just do not work is stupid and it makes sense to save your energies and direct them into other projects. A lot of the time I would say my biggest successes in life have often come from a tricky start. Very often we are not too sure what might be involved in doing something at first and as such we fumble around and make mistakes which is never nice. But by doing so we start to understand what the game is about and start to look at the strengths and weaknesses of people around us and learn from experience.

If I had to describe my approach it would be even when the hand looks weak I would decide to hang around for a bit change a couple of cards and see what the reaction of the other players is because a lot of them might just fold in that timescale. At that point you may decide a couple of players look very strong and fold. For sure hanging in for another round or two has cost you a few chips. Personally I would not be down on myself rather would say I have learnt important things by hanging in for a bit. The secret of course is not to gamble big in such sceanrios but keep investing at a steady rate.

From an autistic perspective this can be difficult because often I think in black an white terms, all or nothing. It takes quite a bit of discipline for me to hold a bit back to try and play the game at a steady rate if I am not too sure. When this old dog was younger he took big risks and would put everything into projects and gamble away, sometimes it paid off sometimes it didn't. As I have got older I wouldn't say I have become risk averse and catious rather I am a lot more calculating and might think a bit more, after all experience has to count for something, but we have to be prepared to do things to get it in the first place.

Nice to know that 'wise girls' have been added in as an after thought;)...Welcome back Ben...:)

Wisdom is in knowing and wieghing up all factors before dealing your hand...sometimes our over confidence can create situations we cannot handle, lack of confidence and lack of knowledge of the situation can similarly place a person in a dangerous position...so Balance and knowledge are the keys to use for a successful outcome to any situation...SO SAYS A WOMAN, you do know the fundemental rule of life.....women are always right;)P!!!

I'll start:

'You gotta know when to fold em'

Sometimes in life, your hand just isn't strong enough. its not failure to fold, and call it a day. If a task, job, mission or anything is becoming detrimental to your health or just making you generally unhappy, then one could argue the steaks are to high, and not worth the outcome. so dont ever be ashamed to fold, and try your luck on the next hand your delt. life is a game of poker, some hands are worth the gamble, some are just to weak and will only end up in defeat. If you know deep down, your confidence is low, your cards are too weak, and you feel the failure comming, fold before you get in too deep. when you get delt a royal flush or 5 ace's for goodness sake stay in the game and never quit.

Okay, in your hypothesis what would you call the situation where deep down your confidence is great beyond belief, but you keep a lid on it through fear ?

For that is my problem, I know what I am capable of and have worked out all the angles and know it will not only work, but it will excel, but I reside in fear of my potential because I have a lifetime of negativity that has done well to smash my surface confidence. But in relation to the oft black and white thinking, if I can start, I cannot start small I have to go at it full bore and not stop even if it kills me for that energy that lies deep when it is released it will not be stopped I know that as it will drain everything out of me in a single minded attack after which there will be nothing left, I will have achieved my potential. I have edged on that deep energy in the past I have seen what it can do in business and I have achievements to prove my methodology works, but I have put a lid on it as I do not want it to evaporate on meaningless things.

But I have hinted on something in the above that young people cannot perhaps yet comprehend and that is what life can actually do to you for where the young might be looking at a future they can make for themselves, those older look at a future stained by the past as we were educated to the truth of what life in our society can actually be like as it is true from school age the education starts where the child like can do anything bright new world is forged into the reality where the higher to try to go the more there are to try and pull you down to the level they were ulled down to and those that don't want their position challenged.

But for us old grumpy farts, maybe we need to spend more time with children to be re educated into the fact that we can achieve despite what society throws us, because society will only dumb us down if we let it and we have let it so insidious it's action was.

My sense is this country, this society we live in is old and it is tired and although it very much needs an injection of life- part of it cries out for it, but that is rumbled over by leviathan that is our negative mindset as our society it is too damned conservative and stuck in it's ways.

As for an example, the post war decades, the 1950's and 1960's where it was a bright new world, the mood I am told was a good one where hope was everywhere, what happened, how did we come to this, or was it those shining decades were a blip in a steady decline that is common to post empiric societies ? Because one has only to look at history to discover what happened to the bright empires of the past, the Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians, look at those societies now, but look at them a few decades and centuries after their decline, i do believe we in our society are feeling it and with us the Yanks too, but they won't take it lying down, they are too young for that.

The short awnser to your first question is, no. There's a fine line between bravery, and stupidity. It's a matter of being sensible. It takes a brave man to fold. If my conifidence is low on something, it's low for a reason; forinstance, if i was to get into a boxing match with lenox lewis on saturday night, having no in ring experience, would it be brave or stupid to step in the ring? would it be a sensible desicon to throw the towel? (extreme circumstance i know, but that can translate to other areas of ones life)

As for the rest, you may be over thinking things a bit too much. Or i'm very bad at reading, and i mised something.

Thinking is my passion, I do a lot of it and through it as said I work out all the angles from many perspectives so I know what I attempt always works and it has been proved in the past where I had to in one job do it secretly because I had an idea I had to test and the boss was unsympathetic, that was until he asked why were the company's finances £35k richer than they should have been at the end of the year, where did this money come from, my manager handled it from there on and I didn't lose my job, but I took the idea with me when I quit through that unsympathetic boss who had become stingy after netting him £150K extra over three years as well as the extra business, my private venture attracted and the positive advertising.

But as regards a hypothetical round with Lenox Lewis as you suggest, maybe you wouldn't, but maybe I would, why, because there is always more than one way to skin a cat and so I would put all my energy into using the most powerful muscles in my body that have the advantage of range and do what a pugilist least expects of an opponent and kick him in the unguarded goolies.

Think with disapline;

Negative thinking is bad,

Positive thinking is delusional

Disciplined thinking for the win.

There is no such thing as a bad experience. just a learning experience.

Edited by A-S warrior