sesley

what if Wills and Kates baby has autism?

they would be perfect ambassadors for autism awareness and as Royal patrons for the NAS raising the autism profile to a new,positive and important heights.

Someone mentioned to me that they feel Diana was dyslexic at least.

Why would they? They are just two normal adults in my view and they would react as they would and there is no way of knowing what you would do until you are faced with that as a reality. For sure they might have a few resources at their disposal but that is not what parenting is about in my opinion.

If the kid was they would get the best treatment possible without a shadow of a doubt and what life have they got in front of them compared to the rest of us, hardly a worry is it.

i am not wishing them but not all autism is bad, its time it was given a positive media attention rather than all the negatives. and it would highlight publically autism awareness, in the past even the royals locked away rellies not quite right,they would not get away with that now.and autism needs a higher profile in our society. as a human difference with some disability,the same as someone in a wheel chair or a guide dog.

Edited by sesley

Jahmene Douglas on the X factor is a prime example of positive media attention. He turned around what the papers were saying about his family and joined Women's Aid 'i am a real man' campaign.

Speaking of wheelchairs selsey i often introduce my wheelchair to people in an attempt to break the ice. It is quite funny when i say to them "me and smeg head went out the other day" or "i took smeg out for a wheel the other day".

The dogs reminded me of the Children in Need night where a dog really improved the life for a young autistic lad. i think his parents wrote a book about their son Adam.

i went to a World AIDS day remembrance service on the 1st December. It became totally different to what i expected. Now they celebrate the lives of the people who died and they people who are still living. Also the advances in treatments mean that 50% are living into their 50's with HIV. There were stories of people on deaths door having treatment and going back to work months later. It was really uplifting.

My local branch has done an Autism Heroes awards ceremony each year. We celebrate those who have helped and supported autistics and myself and others speak about living with autism. i even got an award for my gran because she cared and guided me for the past 15 years.

As princess Diana appeared to be at least dyslexic that leaves 25% of her genes going into the pool for Wills and Kates baby. So we could have a neurodiverse baby then again we could also have an NT 1. i dont mind as long as they do their bit and support charities and good causes preferably ones close to our hearts.

There's already been an autistic British royal - Prince John, youngest son of George V and uncle of the present Queen (although he died before she was born). Re neurodiversity more generally, Princess Beatrice is dyslexic.

the kings speech says volumes?

sometimes royals have to get out of their cave.. and put in!

...and they usually do...

when it comes time when they have to get out of their pit of luxury they will to stand up for us peasants!

it they don't want purpose do they have?

I like the way the queen has unspoken overriding authority.

she never speaks, but when she does she tries.

let us not forget her family didn't leave the country during the war....

they stood to be bombed just like the rest of us. that means something.

the kings speech says volumes?

sometimes royals have to get out of their cave.. and put in!

...and they usually do...

when it comes time when they have to get out of their pit of luxury they will to stand up for us peasants!

it they don't want purpose do they have?

I like the way the queen has unspoken overriding authority.

she never speaks, but when she does she tries.

let us not forget her family didn't leave the country during the war....

they stood to be bombed just like the rest of us. that means something.

Is getting out of one's cave a euphemism for raising awareness? The titular hero of the King's Speech developed lung cancer due to a smoking habit, but far from raising awareness, the royal establishment hushed it up. Kitty Kelley relates that when George VI was dying, the Queen Mother made him wear blusher in public to disguise his appearance. As for the royals' war effort, don't forget that they were exempt from food and clothing rationing. (Christopher Hird, 'Myths, Lies and the Royals' in Mandy Merck (ed.), After Diana: Irreverent elegies)

It might be also worth mentioning the case of the Duchess of Kent, who caught rubella during her fourth pregnancy and was made to have an abortion rather than give birth to a disabled baby (link). Or what about the disconnect between the Queen Mother's patronage of Mencap and the two learning-disabled nieces she never visited? (another link)

I find this OP very very offensive, both from the perspective of a mother and a person with a dx of AS.

What if the child had cancer or that pesky 23rd chromosome had a few extra bits and the baby had downs? You almost seem to wish the child ill in your eagerness to obtain a champion for your cause. William and Kate may indeed lead a life of privilege but would that help them if they had a child on the spectrum. A child who from birth will be under intense scruitiny and if interest to millions of people would wide. As said it may be a life of privilege but also one of responsibility and expectation. As parents trying to fulfill many roles, there struggles may be different to many of the text of us but also the same. The same fear and worry about your child. The same frustrations and heartache.

Edited by dekra

Also I might add even in this millennium there are people that have been locked up in psychiatric facilities for being gay or an unwed mother, sent there decades ago this is the only life they kniw. These people either die in an institution or are so institutionalised when the new care in the community preference for mental health became prevalent these poor souls with nothing actually wrong with them had no idea of how to reintegrate into society.

Edited by dekra

i think mostly,

humanity never does what is right.

they do "what appears right to the biggest tribe" :-( @ the time.

(and hence they always change what they think is right depending on who their uplines are? welcome to being a politician.)

because humanity NT's are never about being decent. they are just about wasting 99% of their resources "fitting in" and just 1% doing what is actually good for people.

i think a non NT in power would have value. we would do what is right.

we wouldn't care about kick backs to powerful businessmen, we wouldn't care about following the majority. we would just do what is right. end of.

from time to time you get one of us in power.. but we quickly get assassinated :-(

royalty isn't any different. they are just puppets. they have to do what they are told.

what a weird thread.. we are all just typing in a load of random stuff. i'm not sure there's anything coherent here.

so i thought i'd chip in my weird 5 penny's worth :)

Re neurodiversity more generally, Princess Beatrice is dyslexic.

"Princess Beatrice said it had only been when she was in secondary school and could take part in events such as public speaking that she felt able to do well." She certainly comes across as more articulate than her cousin-in-law Kate.

Princess Beatrice urges young to speak up for themselves

You might just as well ask "What if one of Wills and Kate's children turns out to be gay?" Actually someone has already asked the Duke of Cambridge just that...

William worries about "pressure" on his children if they come out as gay

Edited by Aeolienne
correct third person of verb

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:14 PM, Aeolienne said:

"Princess Beatrice said it had only been when she was in secondary school and could take part in events such as public speaking that she felt able to do well." She certainly comes across as more articulate than her cousin-in-law Kate.

Princess Beatrice urges young to speak up for themselves

Check her out at the Made by Dyslexia conference - 2 hours 34 minutes in...