Noskcaj86

Social worker??

Is it normal to get assigned a social worker if you have a special needs child?? ours is a social worker from the disabled kids dept, but just wondered how many people have one for there child and who doesnt? Also is it ok to turn them down if you dont want a social worker or someone from another support agency??

I never had one, was never offered and never asked, not sure how to go about getting one if you want one or what they actually do. I don't see why you can't refuse to have one if you don't feel confortable or that it is relevant for you, depends on what they're offering I suppose. Could be useful one day or you might not want to be 'on their books', so to speak.

~ Mel ~

Yea i was just assigned one without asking... then i thought what if i dont want one?? But she seems helpful so far so will see how things go i guess. She works with childeren with ASD so i think it should be helpfull, its just the fact shes a 'social worker' thats putting me off i think lol

Yes I did get assigned a social worker from the special needs department for my son. I would definitely stick with her and see how things go.

It was suggested to me (I can't remember by who) that it would be helpful for me to see a social worker to find out what services and monetary help were available to my son on his own and to us as a family. Towards the end of last year I was interviewed by a social worker for the Children's Disability Team who was very approachable and knowledgeable about services in the area. Her role is quite different to social workers who are part of a Child Protection team, ie. her central focus is not on protecting the child or monitoring difficulties within a family but is to provide information and support. For us, it was felt that it wasn't necessary to have a permanent social worker as things are going well and my son already accesses a lot of activities which aids his development and I chose not to access support workers. However, in order for us to get access to certain services we need a social work referral and the referral cannot be made any other way. Therefore, we are due to see the social worker again to fill in the relevant paperwork for a referral to a social activities group which runs locally.

I did raise the question of having a social worker aligned to me mt care needs /support plan etc. Ihave been told directly this "system" is rarer few between! Sounds like a 'postcode lottery' and was told by a nurse at MHT don't know if because I'm an adult funding cuts etc which so frustrating to be honest! XKLX

ok thanx, everyone sounds positive regarding social worker :) im meeting her on the 4th for an interview so will see how it goes.