Noskcaj86

what are the names of all the different forms of asd?

Hi, interested to know what all the different forms of ASD are, such as Aspergers syndrome, classic Autism, PDD NOS etc. Today i was told that Jack probably doesnt have Aspergers and its more likely ASD... This confused me a bit as I thought ASD was an umbrella name given to all the different forms of autism or is ASD a form in its self?

Thanx

Hi

ASD is the umbrella term. There have been different 'names' given to how people present over the years but recently within the DSM 5, which is the diagnostic manual that psychiatrists use in the US, Aspergers has been removed and now comes under Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I believe it is because there is so much crossover between the different 'types' of autism that people have. In this country, although (I think and if I'm wrong someone will correct me) psychiatrists do not use the DSM 5, it still has a lot of influence so many diagnostitians are using the term ASD instead of the previous terms.

Aspergers has been the term to denote people on the Autistic Spectrum who have 'normal' speech development but have difficulties across what is known as the 'triad of impairments', High Functioning Autism is not actually a 'real' diagnostic term but is used for children with average to above average intelligence (like Aspergers) but who have speech delays/disorder, PDD NOS is used for people who have many of the traits within the 'triad of impairments' but not enough to denote a diagnosis of Aspergers/HFA. Classic Autism can denote someone who is non-verbal and has difficulties (sometimes more pronounced or 'severe' demonstration) across the 'triad of impairments'. This often can be accompanied by learning difficulties but not always - some children with Classic Autism remain non-verbal but demonstrate average to above average intelligence via non-verbal communication and others can actually move along the autistic continuum to a 'higher functioning' form of autism through gaining verbal skills and reduction in their more 'severe' autistic traits and development of self care skills etc. There are also 'autistic-like' conditions like Fragile X Syndrome.

Hope I haven't confused you further.... :rolleyes:

No Lynda, you have not confused me more. The lady we saw today said its probably not Aspergers because he had a servere speech delay (which after 2 1/2 yrs speech therapy of which he spent 1yr in the language unit is now mild). So i think by saying ASD she probably means HFA? Just a guessing game until the official diagnosos!!!

I just think the early intervention my son received was totally amazing and probably life changing for him. So grateful for the help he had early on :)

He is a selective mute. He can speak but choses not to basically.

Jack is a selective mute at times, when he's tired or stressed he wont speak at all, no matter how hard I or someone else tries to get a conversation out of him. But other times he doesnt stop talking.

My son is believed to be HFA, but on autism.org website there is a new diagnosis - PAD pathological avoidance disorder. I think my son has that - but I'm not a doctor,

Hi

ASD is the umbrella term. There have been different 'names' given to how people present over the years but recently within the DSM 5, which is the diagnostic manual that psychiatrists use in the US, Aspergers has been removed and now comes under Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I believe it is because there is so much crossover between the different 'types' of autism that people have. In this country, although (I think and if I'm wrong someone will correct me) psychiatrists do not use the DSM 5, it still has a lot of influence so many diagnostitians are using the term ASD instead of the previous terms.

UK diagnosticians have no business using the DSM criteria for it is designed for use with the American Psychiatry and medical care industry.

The fifth edition of the DSM is an American development. In the UK we use the World Health Organisation's International Classification of Diseases (ICD), so the DSM does not directly affect NHS patients. Prompt and accurate diagnosis and recognition of mental illness and related health problems is the cornerstone of high-quality health services. That should be our focus in the UK.

But an interesting article linked above - note the reference to industry and the removal of scientific fact

We haven't got the American system yet, but it's coming