Sign in to follow this  
jools

pull ups and eye q

does anyone know if either of these can be got on prescription?

my 7yr old (8 next week) can go through 2 pullups a night due to the amount he wets and its costing me a fortune. his name is down for the enuresis clinic but i've been told the waiting list is huge.

as for eye q........it was briefly mentioned by camhs that i could give it a go if i wanted to.

i get the impression from the people i have seen that when we eventually get to see the physciatrist he will probably suggest medication for his attention and i admit i'm not keen just yet.

i want to see other things put in place at school first to see if that makes a difference and if they are prepared to pay for medication for him i'm wondering if they will let me try eye q first??

Hi Jools, I have been told that you can get the Omega oils on prescription, although I don't know if it is eye q. A friend gets it for her son.

With regards to pull ups I asked our continence nurse if our son can get these free. As he only uses 1 a night we are not eligable as I was told you need to be using 2 or more to get them free.

Denise 2 :)

My son uses at least 2 nappies a night but the Special Needs Health Visitor who completed the application said it didn't matter how many he used as he is 7 now and its because of his special needs that he is given them free, its worth a try, saves me a fortune.

I have never been offered any fish oils on prescription and my uncle is a pharmacist and said he's never had one for them handed in at his pharmacys, but I usually buy the Haliborange ones and they are usually on a 3 for the price of 2 offer in Boots.

Hi

I get free nappies for my son from my Health Visitor - had to fill out a very long form, as is the case for most things, but got there eventually. Think you can get up to 4 free pull-ups a day.

I also managed to get eye-q prescribed by my GP, but I know others haven't been so lucky - think its a case of asking and see what they say.

Good luck!

eye q was a no go :shame:

and she didn't know about pullups. if i ring her back next wednesday she will hopefully have found out by then.....fingers crossed!

Mine don't do pull ups, they only provide nappies, done through the local continence service (part of NHS), I just have to ring up to reorder once assesment was done.

ive not tried eye q on prescription, didnt know it was possible to get it. may try it though as our docs is quite co-operative one of them is studying aspergers and is very interested in it so hes always up for something connected with it. B)

Hello Jules

Em maybe your health visitor might be able to find out about the free pull ups.............................. Tjat is how i got the supply for my little boy.

Elaine

have finally got in touch with the health visitor who says nappies are a no go!

the incontinence service won't provide them because he doesn't have a dx.

she suggested that if the pullups are costing us too much we just take him out of them :wallbash:

i'm not prepared to do that......we have 2 wet beds a night as it is and thats with him wearing pullups.......he (and us ) would be totally knackered if he wasn't wearing anything........and then i can just imagine how many meltdowns we would get each day due to lack of sleep.

i really don't think that is the answer.

Hello

What a nightmare. Maybe you could contact the national autistic society who might be able to help you? They have a counsellor service and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Let me know how you get on.

Elaine

x

HI,

I get eye-q on prescription. I asked the doctor and he was OK about it. Ds did have a tantrum when we went to see him, which might have helped. But it sent ds wappy. He was so hyperactive. I tried and stopped it twice. Each time after a few days, ds couldn't sit down. He wore himself out. then once I stopped it, a couple of days later ds returned to his normal self. I'm thinking of going back to doctors to change it to something else.

pim

Hi Stephanie

It is a fish oil supplement ( omerga 3) It can help with concentration etc. My son is now pronouncing his words alot better and seems alot calmer. I first saw it on a BBC documentary and thought I'd give it a go. I have put my little boy on this and the difference is really positive. Though, it may have an adverse reaction to other children..

If I was you, I would give it a shot and if it does not work then at least you tried it.

Elaine

x

My son who is 8 years old (will be 9 in Feb) is on two pull ups a night. I hadn't even thought about trying to get them for free! My eldest child who has no dx was wet through the night until she was 11 years old. She did eventually grow out of it thank goodness as she refused to wear any protection and it does get kind of irksome (understatement) having to clean mattresses and bedding every day.

My son usually wakes me up half way through the night when he needs a change of pull ups and pyjamas. Some days his bed is unscathed but other days I have to change the sheets. He has a dx of language delay and autistic tendencies... does anyone think I could get pull ups free?

Lauren