Sign in to follow this  
annie

Proposed amended statement arrived

Arrived back from holiday last Thursday (went really well) and our proposed amended statement finally arrived that morning (after 2 letters to the LEA and one to the Director of Education) IPSEA said we should have received it by the 17h May.

The LEA had agreed to the amendments at our last meeting with them (in April), even though we knew things weren't going to be that straight forward.

The LEA have added to part 2 Alex's diagnosis of depression and a sentence that it is a barrier to his learning as it affects sleeping, motivation and attendance.

In part 4 it says 'Alex's special educational needs can be met in a mainstream school. ****** ****** is an appropriate placement :wallbash: Last July, we received in writing from the LEA that Alex's statement would be amended to read that his placement would be in the ASD unit at the school. We have never received an amended statement saying this.

Alex has been attended Education other than at school since April (as agreed by the LEA) this should have been on the statement.

Part 6 says 'Referral to the Occupational Therapy Service'.

'Referral to the Speech and Language Service'.

We've heard nothing from either services.

I contacted IPSEA last Friday and I sent off ANOTHER letter to the LEA requesting copies of the referral letters (calling their bluff). I also wrote that I was puzzled by the placement as Alex hasn't been at the school since November and part 3 says that the SENCO at the school should establish short-term targets etc for IEPs.

In the week that we were away we also recieved Alex's school reports. The one from the old school mainly said about his difficulties and he should just 'get his head down' it also said about his bad attendance.......glad they noticed as he hasn't been there since November 2004 :wacko:

The school reports from Education other than at school were glowing B) ....proves we've made the right choice.

Is it just me or have lots of us received our proposed statement when school has finished for the holidays :wacko:

Annie

>:D<<'>

Edited by annie

No, not just you .... ours should have arrived mid-January and finally came in June.

I'm not impressed.

I have seen cases where people have taken their LEAs to the Local Government Ombudsman over it, and won. Its probably time more of us did this. They think they can get away with anything.

http://www.lgo.org.uk/educ.htm

Look at this link on findings of maladministration, and the consequences - scroll down to the bit about SEN.

Our next annual review is as soon as we go back to school .... I'm not looking forward to it.

:angry:

Thanks for the link................very interesting, but sad that people have to resort to going to the Ombudsman just to get for their child what they should be getting anyway.

My son will be 16 in September. I can't wait until we don't have the education merry-go-round to deal with.

Good luck with your annual review.

Annie

>:D<<'>

we went to the ombudsman after winning a parental preference case at tribunal

the point was to stop the lea doing it to more people - the tribunal actually stated in the decision that their admissions policy was illegal

we won and the lea were forced to alter the policy, they still mess parents about but it is easier to win now and twice this year I've managed to help people win without tribunal which I am told they never allowed before.

we got a thousand pounds for stress etc - the ombudsman insisted it was 4 figures as that way they would have to explain it to the auditors as they couldn't hide it in the petty cash which apparently is another trick they use to hide their activities from those that would scrutinise them

stressful but very satisfying!

Zemanski

Hi Zemanski,

Wow B) that's fantastic. Not that you had to go to the Ombudsman in the first place, it shouldn't have to happen. But the fact that you won your case and your LEA were made accountable for what they were doing.

Priceless ;)

I love hearing things like that.

Annie

:thumbs: