Sign in to follow this  
templek

holding on to bad memories....

This was a constant problem i have espeically holding on to events from childhood and school which should be distant foggy memories or trivial concerns. In my last relationship my ex kept telling me i sound like a broken record and appear addicted to bad memories, maybe i just like beating myself up reminding myself of my failings?This made me assume i was manic depressive and went for counselling which did not help, i later found i have Aspergers, or the symptons are exactly how i act, since i have not been diagnosed.

So is holding on to bad memories typical of asperger sufferes?

I do this all the time. I don't know if it's Asperger's or low self esteem that causes it though I'm afraid

They are called bad memories for a reason. It's not as easy as simply cancelling the thoughts as it is kind of still going to be stuck there. Giving time, it can improve, but there are scars.

You're not alone, Templek. Holding on to memories, good and bad, is a very big part of my life. I try hard to push away the bad ones in favour of the good ones, but it doesn't always work. My childhood memories are quite vivid. Loss haunts my life, and has done so ever since I was a child. I'm forever yearning for what was, and for what could have been. My biggest losses were the loss of my childhood itself, followed by the gradual loss of my family. Memories can be very painful and I'm prone to sudden tears if I think too deeply about my life. Small triggers can set me off. Good memories make me sad at all that I've lost, but bad memories make me angry at the stupidity and cruelty of the NT world.

I think it's common for aspies to have good long-term and poor short-term memory - often along with a good memory for facts and information. My poor short-term memory is one of the factors that causes my executive dysfunction.

This is a problem for me too. I often lie awake in the middle of the night fretting about things that I did or said ten or twenty years ago or things that people said to me. I think it is just that it is impossible to go back to rectify these mistakes that makes me focus on them. If I could resolve the issues I wouldn't have to fret about them but I can't change what happened so I just go over and over tings in my head with no solution in sight and am unable to move on from them. I try to tell myself that, yes, that did happen, but it is not happening now and I should learn from past mistakes and will not make them again, but sometimes this doesn't help.

~ Mel ~