Sign in to follow this  
jomica

BBC: Should I worry about .... jabs?

Did anyone else see this BBC 1 programme (7pm last night) - "Should I be worried about ...... jabs?"

Gorgeous (but rather small for my liking) presenter Richard Hammond - best known for Top Gear - and his wife were trying to decide whether to let their daughter Willow have an MMR jab.

So, in true "should I be worried about ..." style, Richard went off to find the truth about MMR jabs. In the first part of the programme he talked to a consultant about how jabs worked and why protection against MMR was needed. However, after due consideration (mostly of the media stories and from talking to other undecided parents - he discounted the Wakefield stuff because he couldn't find anyone of sufficient clout to back it up), little Willow got three single jabs from an NHS GP who also offered a single jabs service. They just couldn't be sure enough to go down the MMR triple-jab route.

In the final bit of the programme they projected a large message onto the side of the Houses of Parliament at midnight (how many MPs saw that then?? - well, until it was on TV last night) saying that parents wanted the truth not politics when it came to their children's lives.

Nowadays I do wrestle with the idea of MMR myself, but back then (early 90s) all my three children had it - the first two because I didn't have any inkling about the possible autism link and the third, on the basis that the other two had had it and it hadn't had any noticeable effect. I don't know (and frankly, don't waste much time considering because I have my hands full anyway!) whether my third child's autism is anything to do with it. It is a fact of our lives.

What did you think about the programme? It didn't do much to improve confidence in MMR, I don't think - but it didn't come to a real conclusion either .... just that more work needed to be done and more openness be seen to enable people to feel confident.

I didn't see the programme last night

I've never thought there was a link between MMR and Autism, I read a lot of the research as my son was due his just as they hype started and have continued reading it.

I would still get a child vaccinated now for the main reason I know someone who lost a family member with Measles and since then due to the fact that people are not immunising Measles started going around her youngest daughter who was 9 months old at the time caught it and was seriously ill. I seen the stress she went throught thinking she was going to loose her aswell. I don't believe it is worth the risk of children going blind, deaf, brain damaged or even dying due to Measles.

Just my opinion of course

Yes you definately should worry about jabs.I hace learnt this from bitter experience.My daughter had her first mmr at 14 months no probs whatsoever.She carried on developing completely normally.Her social skills were fine she was described by another parent as the life and soul of the party.She interracted beautifully loads of friends chatty and bubbly.In other words a completely normal little girl.When she was four she had her mmr booster.Within a week she was beginning to loose her speech, she seemingly couldnt hear me she couldnt understand me.She began spinning, walking on her toes, grinding her teeth and sleeping for about four hours a night .This was a little girl who had gone through the night at 12 weeks and I had never had a disturbed night since!She had no desire to interact would hide under the table in wardrobes, in the playschool dressing up box etc.I am sure you all know what I am describing here.Thats right within a month my daughter had become severely autistic.Imagine how I felt.I blamed myself.I felt as though I had lost my daughter, people were crossing the street to avoid us.The upshot was gt ormand street diagnosed late onset autism with the cause being the mmr vaccination.They said the link couldnt be proved!!!Yeah right not much it couldnt.They told me she would never recover.I was one of the lucky ones within six months she had recovered, unfortunately I never will.The flashbacks the panic attacks the worry over my son who seems fine etc etc.She is now 8 and a half and is at school and doing well and you would never ever know.PLease think carefully.

I watched this programme last night whilst clutching my nine month old baby to me and holding my 4 year old ASD son to me. I wanted to watch it but I also did not want to watch if you know what I mean.

I do not think that the MMR caused Julian's autism. I think he was probably born autistic and certainly had some odd habits as a baby but he was shuffling when he was eight months, smiling and cooing and starting to say mum mum and ess (the dog), normal physical development and then he had his MMR, the physical development has continued as normal (he is very very tall for his age and passes for at least 5 if not 6) but all speech stopped, he started hand flapping, rapid head movement and what we call GI Joe eyes where he looks at one spot but moves his head from side to side (i have tried this and it hurts). This continued to happen and still does, his temper got 100% worse, he started to bite, kick, scream, hit, head butt walls etc etc I could go on for hours.

The long and the short of it is in my opinion he had ASD but giving him the MMR exacerbated it and made it so much worse. I am at the horrid stage now of deciding what to do with my youngest. I am reluctant to let him have the MMR but am aware of the need to protect my child. My main problem is that there is nowhere around my way that is prepared to do the single jabs so it looks like I am off on a little trip to see if I can find somewhere that will. If anyone has any ideas or knows of a surgery or clinic that does then I would be more than grateful to hear from you. I am prepared to pay whatever it costs to get these done individually.

But again this is only my opinion.

Caroline

I would not - and l will not give my son the MMR vacination.

A very close friend of mine had the same experience as cee cee, her child was absoulutely 'normal' (hate that word) up until four days after her jab. Then her little world fell apart. She has since been diagnosed as severly autistic - cause being, MMR jab - by a Dr at Great Ormond Street (this is for all to see on her notes). He went onto say that there were a few children who seemed more likely to have this 'reaction'. I can't remember them all but the two i do remember are.. 1)If the child has any history of bowel problems 2)If a parent has any kind of auto-imune illness. (I will ask my friend and get back to you with the others.) The Dr said how frustrated he is with the denials from the government, to his mind (and many of the people he works with) there is a very definate link.

There doesn't seem to be this link with the single dose jabs - so given the option i would be happy to do that. My GP refuses, and therefore my son hasn't been vaccinated.

I think it comes down to personal choice - do abit of homework, then see how you feel.

sorry for ranting.......this one gets to me :angry:

It must be hard for parents now to decide on what to do for the best, I know my views and they only came from personal experience. My son had developmental delay from being very young, didn't sit until he was a year, walking was almost 2, they pressumed he was just 'ignorant' at hearing tests, slept for 4 hours max a day at 12 months old (not changed much) , all makes me wish I had rejected the excuse of 'he was born early' and insisted on it being looked into, but I don't believe the MMR played any part in it as these differences with my son were so apparent before the vaccine.

Edited by lil_me

Hi '

My son is 8 and been diagnosed with hight functioning autism nothing to do with the MMR I refused to have it done for him, my daughter had her MMr when she was 5 under hospital supervision because of multiple allergies and a very nasty one to eggs. I started when my son was nearly 5 (before he was officially dx) to consider having it done but he then caught mumps so decided it was better to leave things alone just in case, I often think that autism may be partialy due to an immune system problem (as we have various immune system illness within the family) and somehow the MMR which is a triple vaccine may increase the problem . There are now people asking for separate vaccine for measle mumps and rubella it could be an option especialy for autistic children. It may be an idea to consider it ??? :rolleyes:

I watch this programme...and O who is 8 and AS got really upset....that his favourite presenter Richard Hammond was talking about Autism....

I was going to complain to the BBc....but he did not really do anything wrong....

Me and O had a chat..and he was fine....well he watch top gear on the Sunday...

Hi

Just thought I would add my opinion. DS has had the MMR. In my opinion his difficulties can be traced to birth. I had such problems with breast feeding him and various other little quirks which I now realise were indicators of what we have now. His problems appear to be mainly sensory. I am currently preparing myself to get an absolute explanation of why he has n't got AS as I sense the professionals are moving away from this idea. The more I read Tony Attwood the more convinced I become. Anyway that is another story......

Basically I really feel for anyone whose child has been severely and instantly effected by the MMR. However, I remain on the 'jury is still out' side of the MMR causes Autism debate.

I think children should be immunised to protect them as well as babies and the elderly, pregnant woman etc.

In our case I don't think the jab made any difference. I am a teacher and have a science background. A lot if my studies involved considering statistics and the possibilties of various things happening. I remain a skeptical. Statistics can be used to prove anything you like if you know how to use them.

I think the most useful research would be a study into the link between autism and the immune system. Then people could choose based on their own family circumstances whether the jabs are right for them or not. There ought to be a test to see if a child is likely to react so severly to the vaccination.

Unfortunately there are many instances where action may result in disaster. The chances are very low but look at women offered amniocentisis which can offer answers yet could cause the miscarriage of a healthy baby.

There is no easy answer. There is no blanket you should or should not. I decided to risk the chance of complications because I would rather have him immunised than not.

If we ever get a proper dx I will have to think again when it comes to school booster time.

I'm also in 'the jury is out' camp.I think that people want more research,rather than bland reassurances.

When Gareth (now 19) was young,there was a huge question mark over the Whooping cough vaccine-with some children it seemed to cause learning difficulties.I gave him the vaccine because i'd nursed some very ill babaies with whooping cough but I can remember the fears that I felt as if they were yesterday.

My other concern is the younger and younger age that vaccines are carried out and the multiples that go into each vaccine.I'm glad that I don't face the dilemma over vaccines but feel that it will be a minefield for my children when they become parents.xx

Com didn't have any vaccinations till 9 months old when he had tetanus, diptherea and whooping cough jabs.

He reacted to the whooping cough jab - developed a serious hacking cough that lasted over a year and left him with a strange 'vocal tic' that sounds like a gun going off every so often.

We were advised not to let him have any further innoculations but to give him the mumps jab only if he hadn't had it by puberty (at the time this option was available, now, when he should have it, it is virtually impossible to get on the NHS)

looking at Com's development he was showing signs of his autism from birth - difficulty feeding, didn't want to be held, intense interaction and eye contact .....

I'm glad our GP advised against MMR, not because I think it would have caused more problems (although it may have) but because I know his autism wasn't triggered by the jab so I'm not left wondering.

Dot didn't have MMR or whooping cough jabs.

However, when she had whooping cough at 14 months it was misdiagnosed by a stupid doctor who refused to acknowledge the possibility of whooping cough and said she had a chest infection. He prescribed an antibiotic (which I was very reluctant to give but did when the cough didn't get any better) that caused long term bowel problems that put her on the failure to thrive list and 7 years on she is still being treated - she only had one dose!

the moral of my story:

if one thing doesn't get you something else surely will

you can't win, you can only make the best decisions for your children you know how based on the evidence you can get hold of and on the advice of professionals who don't always get things right.

Dot hasn't had an antibiotic since that one dose and apart from the on-going bowel problems seems healthier than most kids. She has other things to contend with - severe dyslexia and dyspraxia and a weakness in her back that causes stress fractures but again these were present at birth as her early development shows (apart from the dyslexia which obviously doesn't usually rear its ugly head until a child starts to read and write).

we deal with what comes and try not to worry about what went before - I know it's important to be sure you are doing the right thing and the campaign to make vaccines safer and to get justice for those children damaged by them needs all the support it can get but like I say, if it's not one thing it will be another.

ho hum

Zemanski