Sign in to follow this  
Lindyloo

Disneyland Paris

Got back safely from our 5 days in Disneyland.

First thing you may be interested to know was that I was able to get a Blue handicapped visitor's card for Luke by only producing his DLA documentation. THis helped a huge amount as it meant we had very little queueing. We did get a few odd look, taking two 'normal' looking children through the disabled route. But we had no problems at all with the disney staff. And Luke did oblige by having a meltdown at one ride because the first train went without him and he had to wait for the next.

THroughout the 5 days we had a lot of little issues with Luke, but luckily nothing too major and he seemed to enjoy it, in his own way. The biggest problem was that he would not go anywhere without his beloved top trumps cards (the latest obsession) and if we sat down for more that 2 minutes he kept trying to get them out to play. They did come in handy though when we were waiting in position for the parades :P

We actually drove over and stayed in the Davy Crockett Ranch, which I would recommend to anyone. It meant that we could take plenty with us, keep the horrors amuzed with DVD player and other things. We also found the cabin much more relaxing than the hotels. There was no busy dining hall - just collect breakfast from a little hut and take it back to the cabin. There were also shutters on the kid's bedroom window, which we closed. For the first time ever, Luke slept in until 10.30 one day (he is usually up between 7 and 8) Is it possible to get shutters fitted in this country ?

SO, on the whole, we had a pretty successful few days.

Hi glad you had a good time. We are of in october and our consultant said she would write a letter so we did not have to queue. I am going with my mum , H (as) and my nt child of 3, did all your family not have to queue or just your asd child? because i can see it is going to cause problems if H does not have to queue but C does! We went to legland recently without a pass and it was a disaster h refused to wait for anything!

Hi,

They will allow up to 4 people to use a blue card, so you should be ok. It actually says that the card enables you to use the special enterances (in most cases this is actually the exit) In most cases this does mean that you do not queue, as they will put you on the next available ride. We only had to queue once, when thare was a bit of a backlog of wheelchairs wanting to go on Blue Thunder Mountain.

There are also special areas for the parades and shows.

Have a good time :P

We haven't got a diagnosis yet but could have done with this in Florida 2 years ago. Meltdowns in evry single queue. Bumping, bashing, crying and ranting!

She is off to seniors in Spetember and will have to queue for her food! I have already thought she needs to have the same person t go to lunch with everyday to help stave off the meltdown which , OF COURSE, probably won't happen at school but as soon as she sees me!!!

With or without a diagnosis my fingers are permantly crossed that we get the support we need!

What is it with Queues anyway!?

I took my kids to Disney Paris a couple of years ago. One of my two ASD children is very sound sensitive and walked around for the whole 4 days with his fingers in his ears and had several fainting fits (he used to faint when stressed). So much for giving your kids the time of their life!! :(:wacko:

my ds can tolerate most noise but is distressed by very loud sounds, we are planning to go Feb - can anyone tell me if it's REALLY loud, starting to worry a bit ;) Thanks

Elaine

im so pleased your holiday went well,its lovely to see them enjoying themselves isent it,my sis just come back from where you went and she loved it

Hi Elaine,

Luke is not good with some loud noises (vavuum cleaner / lawn mower / thunder) but we did not have many noise related issues. The last couple of minutes of the stunt car show over in Studio shook him up a bit, but we were on the front row so it would probably be ok from further back. The show itself is so good (Luke loved it) that it is worth taking the risk in my opinion.

The general background noise of the park did not seem to bother him at all.

Linda

:P

Edited by Lindyloo

Elaine

It's not that loud. We were really puzzled to what noise was actually bothering my son. My other son who has AS wasn't bothered at all and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

I can only assume that it was one of those noises heard by ASD kids that other people don't notice. They are impossible to predict so you can't really avoid them!

Lauren

ElaineM - we went in February half-term and had an absolutely awful time. Still lots of queuing (we weren't bright enough to take our DLA letter), sub-zero temperatures. We stayed at Davey Crocket Ranch, which was the best part of the deal. Our son (ASD) hated it, had constant meltdowns and generally made sure that no-one else could do anything. We considered going home early and would have done if it wasn't for the swimming pool at Davey Crocket, which was the saving grace as far as all three were concerned!

Hi Jonica we al;so went in February and loved Davy Crocket. I hate satying in hotels with my son. I recall one night when efused to go to sleep and had tantrum such that french neighbours were banging onthe walls at 1 oclock in the am. We didnt have special needs pass but dont yet have DLA. Is it possible just to use dx letter which we did a few weeks ago at Legoland which made a difference.

hi all

we went in june and it was fantastic!

we got the blue card for katy by just telling the staff at "city hall" about her problems- we did have a letter from the health visitor to say she aspergers, but we had left this in the hotel room-oops!

we got to meet the characters without queuing and on the rides, and we were able to go in the disabled areas to watch the parades, which really helped, because we could keep katy away from the crowds.

needless to say katy did have a few issues, but it was much easier than we expected!

we got katy an autograph book which gave her a purpose to approach the characters- before that she was happy to view them from afar, ie "well, i can see them from here!"

the main reason we went was because we all needed a hol and katy is obsessed with the disney princesses!

we were so impressed we are planning another trip! and because she is still obssessed with the princesses so its the easiest hol to have!!

sharon