Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Kris

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team

Cant cope he needs to move out help

Recommended Posts


Im drained i just cant cope anymore ive had enough ive given all i can give.My son is 22 he will be 23 in January and to be blunt im sick of him being inb the home,hes problamatic,controlls everything,refuses to wash unless you realy force the issue,eats us out of house and home causes arguemnts i cant take anymore.


Our daughter leaft homne 4 years ago shes married with a child of her own,he even complaines when our granddaughter his neice visits and spoiles it.


He was officiouly diagnosed with autism a year ago though we knew it was no surprise.


Him and my husband bicker and argue constantly last night was horrendous and ive just reached the end.


He needs to be in a flat or something of his own supported living oh I don't know.


What do I do how do I go about it anyone else done this or in the same position.


I feel so guilty hes our son I love him hes better of with us but were getting older and we need to know hes safe and looked after.He can do some things but he would I guess need checking on supervising.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to services offered by the National Autistic Society in your area.



Link to services offered by Mind in Yorkshire and Humberside area.


There is also the mind infoline.

"Mind Infoline

Our team provides information on a range of topics including:

  • types of mental health problem
  • where to get help
  • medication and alternative treatments
  • advocacy.

We will look for details of help and support in your own area.

Contact us

Our lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (except for bank holidays).

0300 123 3393
Text: 86463

Mind Infoline
Unit 9
Cefn Coed Parc
CF15 7QQ"




Advice from the mind helpline.

"What can I do if a friend or relative will not seek help?

Sometimes you might feel that a friend or relative is becoming unwell and want them to seek help from a professional or other source, but they will not always agree.

There can be many reasons why people might refuse to seek the help that you feel they need:

  • It could be that they want to solve their issues on their own, and see professional help as a weakness.
  • They might actually be taking steps to find support already but not feel comfortable telling you about this
  • Sometimes people who have had a bad experience with a GP or other support service in the past can be reluctant to try the same route again.
  • For some people, a symptom of their mental health problem is a lack of awareness that anything is wrong. This is usually called a lack of insight, and is common in people diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

It is important to try to build trust and communicate positively with the person so that you can both understand where each other is coming from.

It is common to feel frustrated if you think someone is not trying hard enough to get well, but try not to make assumptions about how they feel. If you are able to make time to have an honest conversation and show them that you value what they are telling you it can be easier to move forward together.

If the person you care about is unable to recognise that they are unwell you can still try to build a trusting relationship. Focus on trying to identify with the emotions that they are expressing and the things that they are most concerned about, rather than the things that are most concerning for you. This might help you to agree that asking for extra support and treatment could be helpful."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks trekstar


Ohh hes a paine but i know he cant help it


Last night he was shall we say kicking it of againe anyway i said to him look i cant be doing with this anymore it makes me ill (i have a diagnosis of BI polar stress makes me iller) if you cant at least try to get along with people in the household then you are going to have to move into a flat of youre own.............he started shouteing that will suite me im 22 im fed up of liveing at home so i said ok then if thats what you want ill contact the services and explaine the situation and they will need to speak to you and acess youre needs and we can take it from there take some time to realy think about it and we will discuss it further............well he shut up instantley and appeared to be in deep thought...........suddenley he started makeing cups of tea,and being pleasent..........maybe he realised hes better of at the moment liveing at home and hed best not rock the boat..........who knows............hes not said anything about it since..........


Im going to speak againe to him later this week explaineing the full implecations of him moveing out ie cost,tiume scale the fact he will need to up his game a little re doing things in the home so its known he can look after himself with a little help.


Ohh its so draining.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a number of different angles you could try to get help. My family got help for me in the end because my Gran applied for help as my carer.

I've just done an online search and found bipolar uk support groups unfortunately none in Huddesfield itself, nearest would be West Leeds.



Helpline for those affected by bipolar.



Story about a son who spends all day watching you tube videos (I appreciate this is about a child but the same principles apply).



Organisation that helps carers in your area.


Hope these links help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it helped then see if you can ask for their help again as a carer with needs.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now