Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

The social aspect

Before I post this, please excuse me if I'm in any way ignorant, this is all really new to me so I'm learning.

A lot of our Child Development Team think that Logan shows many autistic traits (obsession with spinning, flailing arms, no speech at all yet, head banging, being in his own little world being a few), but he is still a fairly social child (obv we wont get any proper diagnosis for a while as he's only turning 2).

He does spent a lot of time in his own little world and doesn't have any real understanding of situations probably 70% of the time, and can play up in unfamiliar surroundings. He doesn't avoid eye contact etc with people, and will play peek a boo etc with strangers but doesn't like to be touched by anyone he doesn't know, and even those he does its on his terms ie if my daughter hugs him unexpectedly he can freak out.

This may be a how long is a piece of string question, but I've heard 'he definitely has a lot of autistic traits but he's very social' so often that I worry we'll end up with the wrong diagnosis. I'm assuming there is a huge range of what is normal social contact in ASD individuals?

Should they write off ASD possibility or is it still likely?

Lynne

Edited by LLaverty

Hi Lynne

Some childen are overly familiar with people and the main thing to remember, is that no two kids are alike - they are like Stauts Quo - same chord - different tune!

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi Lynne

As Helenl53 as said no kids are alike, they can have a diagnosis of ASD even though they have eye contact, be sociable and many other things. I wouldn't write off a diagnosis of ASD as he's still very young (not sure how young a child as been diagnosed).... :unsure: My son likes cuddles alot off me, kisses me, some kids dont. My son can make eye contact sometimes, be sociable and talk too much about same things but some children may be the opposite and not speak if you know what I mean. Let us know how things go and there's plenty of threads and member's to get help from.

Take care >:D<<'>

Amanda

I have one son with ASD who likes his own space and does not like you in his face. I have another son with ASD who is in your face and also in your space. He is far too social but inappropriate and it causes him no end of problems. Having a tantrum right now because of this.

Carole

Wow Carole I can relate to that mine are the same.

One hates noise the other has to make as much as is humanely possible.

One hates to be touched, the other loves to touch and stroke and hug.

One would rather you never spoke to him the other craves any kid of social interaction although most of the time what social interaction you get from him is inapropriate and he has no understanding of personal space.

Of the two I would say the younger, noisier, more social child is the most challenging at times as he has no knowledge of the boundaries expected of him and usually walks headlong into trouble.

I would argue that both boys have problems with social situations and expectations and although both children are different, both personalities have very significant needs in social situations.

Thanks so much guys. I'm finding that I'm having to justify to a lot of people why we think its likely he'll get that diagnosis because the general consensus (from people with no or little knowledge (ie most of my friends/ family)) is that ASD sufferers are not social beings, therefore in their eyes Logan having autism is not a possibility. He may not infact end up having it, but it is a distinct possiblity that we've had to accept so I figure learning about it is the way to go. I think though that our paediatric consultant is pretty clued in so hopefully will keep considering all things.

Lynne

I think it is probably fair to say that most people (outside of this forum ;) )do not understand the autistic SPECTRUM. Our ds is very sociable, chatty and loving, like lots of other's on here I guess. However there are some circumstances he can not cope with.

It is hard to change the stereotype that others have but I think you are right to continue with assessment or else you will be always wondering.

Best wishes, Elainex

Minxygal sound like our two sets of sons have a great deal in common. ;)

I certainly already have far more problems with Matthew (social son) than ever I have had with David (un-social son) I find it very difficult to explain the social side to Matthew who just keeps getting it wrong. It's heartbreaking watching Matthew and not knowing how to help :(

Carole