Sign in to follow this  
stinger

going out

is there any advice anyone can give on me getting myself out of the house i've tried a councilor(sp) and various other things but i have this feeling that somethings going to happen to me when i go out

I have found seroxat helpfull for my anxiety but it has side effects. I have been on it for years. The other thing that i think is helpfull is to just do the thing you are afraid of and eventually it gets easier maybe you could try just going a small di stance at first. Deep breathing from the stomache i also find helpfull. karen :)

I also tell myself there are risks in life but do i really want to spend my lfe cooped up in the house not going any where. Thats risky too. I tried counciling and fond it cr**p !!!

Stinger,have a look at this page: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=141&a=2313

It is about befrienders,volunteers who will go out with adults to give them more independance,it isn't meant to be a fulltime thing,but a befriender could sometimes help with going to the shop with you or on a day out somewhere etc.

As someone who has struggled with agrophobia a little in the past, what worked for me was structuring a few trips where I knew exactly where I was going, how long I was going for and exactly how I was going to get home afterwards.

I found the structure really helpful and it gave me confidence. Try buying yourself a treat while you're out that you can have when you get home ( Cream cakes worked well for me ;) )

Good luck!

My daughter is the one with AS and she can not bear getting served in shops shes 11 . She wont do it , i try to get her to but it makes her have a meltdown maybe this could be why you feel so stres sed going to the shops . :) karen

My AS son now aged 18 had a total breakdown pre dx aged 11. It has been a huge battle to regain his confidence to do anything. Leaving the house was a huge issue. In part this was due to the fact that he had been hit by a car and was having flash backs. He has never really liked going out and shopping but he has amazed me during the last two years. However we have found sto make it easier for him.

If David is having a down day we do not force the issue of him going out. He himself can decide how he is feeling. Even when he is having a good day we time our shopping trips to begin an hour before the shops close. By the time we arrive there is usually only 45 min to 30 mins of opening time left. So David knows he is not going to be stuck in the shopping centre for ever. Most shops are gearing down and you get served quickly. That means less queing. After we shop and if David still feels OK we go for a drink or something to eat.

Even socially we time our outings. David hates going to the cinema when it's light as he is more aware of the crowds. He finds it easier in the dark - so that is when we go.

These are things that have worked for us as a family but everyone is different.

take care

Carole

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy might help but not in the short term, as there's usually a massive waiting list for it.

Karen

x

hopefully when i restart college it will become easier as im fine when out with my parents or friends i just find it difficult when alone but im going to try and overcome it

I have an allotment now and that gets me out of the house and at least I can talk with others there about vegetables and things to grow. Other than that, I live pretty much as a recluse, it saves offending people as I'm apt to do. I don't mean to, I just don't understand social cues and other things.