Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

Had Ed Psych report this morning.

It basically backs up everything I have said about my son and again, backs up my ASD concerns.

One sentence in it though is concerning me as I never knew he did this. Does any of your kids do this and is it ASD related???.

Quote 'It is reported that he will touch certain posters as he goes along the corridor, having to walk again if he has not touched them properly.'

I know that OCD does this but I have no worries or concerns about him having that.

J has an 'occasional compulsion' if there's such a thing, whereby he can't walk directly across the floor in any of the rooms at home but has to follow a particular route across the pattern. In the kitchen where we have black and white square tiles, he has to play chess with himself being the queen. It's not all the time, but when it strikes it can take him several minutes to get from one side to the other.

Karen

x

I remember Luke Jackson had similar rituals ,touching certain objects in his room.I think OCD type behaviours are quite common in ASD is it not a co/morbid along with ADD, ADHD, and all those others :wacko: .Of course I could be wrong.

My DS has a habit that if there is a low garden wall which has the staggered bricks (can't think of how to describe it, but one line up of bricks has say five bricks in and the next one has four so it goes up and down - hope that makes sense) he has to touch each of the top bricks on the recessed ones. Drives you mad cos it takes forever and god forbid you try and get him away before he has finished.

:wacko:

If he wants to get somewhere and you are in the way he will not walk around you he will just wait until you move!

Caroline

Tyler's mum, what you describe is a typical ASD trait. I would assume your ed psych has used it as an example to back up the dx.

My son used to have to touch every bit of furniture before he left a room, and would go back in to finish off if he was made to leave before he'd completed the job!

I wouldn't worry about that statement at all; it sounds like your ed psych backs your suspicions and an example like that is a good back up.

Lauren

The school that Mark attends is only for children with autism and so I suppose we have more opportunities to notice things like this. Loads of the kids do similar things, not only posters but in Marks case he knocks on things as he walks along. I think it's a reasurrance thing. :)

It can get annoying though, especially when the dog goes mad because he thinks its the door and it's actually Mark on his way to the loo. I asked Mark why he does it and he says it makes him feel good.

MY dad has aspergers ,my brother and i have ocd and my daughter has aspergers, so in my experiance there seems to be a link .Actually my daughter is showing signs of ocd ,too ime scared she has picked it up off me by the way i act :huh: I have also read somewhere the two are linked.

Wow!! Thank you all for your replies. I honestly didn't expect to have so many when I signed in. :D

It's reassuring (if that's the right word to use! LOL) to know that it is linked to the ASD. Like auren said, looks like it's a good thing to have when I'm in the mddle of a dx process. I know a copy of the report has gone to the Pead who I hope will then show it to the Autism doc. A LOT of what he says backs up the ASD theory but he also thinks that my son may have ADHD too. Wonder if that's in with the ASD or another dx waiting to happen!! :blink:

Thank you all for helping me understand this. :thumbs:

Sorry I know I am coming in late here but from what I know, and my own two ASD kids, I would say that it is a very common trait. It is OCDish but then again there are many bits of that that come through in Aspergers. I have also found that sometimes, but not always, it can be worse when the levels of anxiety are high. My eldest can usually control his urge to give into his compulsion and obssessions but not when he is very stressed. However he is still unable to own an odd number of certain things like CD's and DVD's. You should see his face if he receives one as a gift. :o Really it is not funny as I have to get there before he actually touches the item because the mere thought can make him feel physically sick. :(

The other side of this is that my youngest son can often become more complusive when he is hyper, so it's not always down to stress.

As for the ADHD well where I live they do not go in for multiple dx's - seriously. I am pretty sure that Matthew has a good few ADHD traits but I am always told that that too goes with ASD. My eldest probably also has Dyspaxia but again I was fobbed off. Maybe because it would cost the system more money?

Carole

Edited by carole