Sign in to follow this  
Tez

Who in the LEA decides whether or not to assess?

When an LEA has received all the relevant advice it has requested in order for them to decide whether to carry out a Statutory Assessment, who actually makes the decision and what are their qualifications to do so?

Also, when an assessment has been carried out who actually sits on the panel to decide on whether a statement is required and if so what it should consist of and what provision should be provided, and what is their qualification for doing so?

Hi Tez

A lot of LEA's use Multi Agency panels to make such decisions as it takes the responsibility away from the officer. (I personally believe that the decision is made before it even gets to the panel - but that is because of my own experience!)

The panel is chaired by the SEN LEA Officer and the panel can consist of LEA Officers, Sencos, Ed Psychology, Headteachers, Paediatricians.

All sounds wonderful - I am suspicious about who sits on these panels as I note that panel members can be sourced from these areas but when I spoke to someone in one of these areas, I was told, off the record, that they are not able to get the true high calibre professionas to sit on the panels as they are busy with caseloads! So I suppose that technically, you could have a panel made up solely of LEA officers - as we are not allowed to know who sat on the panel and made a decision about our child - how can we be sure.

From my own experience, I was told that parents are not to be told the make up of the panel and that notes and minutes are not available as it compromises the confidentiality of other cases being discussed and for this same reason you are not allowed to attend or have an independent person attend.

I have been told, that sometimes, the panel will approve of a SENCO from your childs school attending, purely to ensure that the correct information is being discussed, although they are not allowed to contribute!

There we are! Another flaw in the system for our kids!!

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi Helen,

When Alex's case went before the panel, I heard from a little dicky bird that his SENCO was on the panel.

After all the grief that we had with the school, guess who was the only person on the panel that disagreed with Alex having a statement?

Yep, you guessed right.....his SENCO.

We got the statement. :D

Annie

:thumbs:

Hi Annie,

Your posting serves to highlight the difficulty that I have with these 'independent panels'.

I beleive that they have persons on their who ore in opposition to the parent.

When I queried mine, (it was a dispute over school at part 4 and is going to Tribunal) I wanted to know who put my case to the panel. The officer told me that her remit was to present the parents case. How can you I said, when you are also asking the panel to disagree parents choice. Anyway, the officer said she was capable of presenting both sides.

I managed to get an 'outcome sheet' from the panel meeting after some months and there was not enough to establish that there had been balalnced evidence presented.

I still am very suspicious about who exactly was on the panel - but no one will tell me!

In my LEA, I would absolute and complete transparency to avoid parents feeling that there is collusion against them by the LEA.

Best wishes

HelenL

HelenL,

I totally agree with you.

It's no wonder parents are suspicious.

I would like to see a parent (totally unconnected to each case) on the panel. Parents are allowed on a school's board of govenors so why not let one be on a SEN panel.

Annie