Sign in to follow this  
Fagsandbooze

diagnosis

Hi Fagsandbooze,

I understand how you're feeling.

We spent years knowing something was wrong with our son and wanting a diagnosis, so we knew what exactly was wrong and how we could help him.

When we finally got the diagnosis, even though we were relieved, everything finally hit us. All sorts of things started running around our heads.

I think we went through every emotion there is.

These feelings are normal.

The important thing to remember is that your child is the same child you had before the diagnosis.

Give yourself some time to take everything in and please don't be hard on yourself.

Annie

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Edited by annie

I think we probably all go through this post dx. I know we did. Even when we knew what we were looking at pre-dx to have it confirmed is still a bit of a shock. It can hit people different ways (and at different times) but, it is a normal reaction.

Give yourselves a bit of time to come to terms with things. No doubt you will have lots of questions flying round your heads (from; is it our fault? to; where now?). You'll find plenty of support on here.

Take care

Phasmid

Fagsandbooze, it's perfectly normal. Suspecting a dx is not the same as actually getting the dx. Even if you know within your heart that your suspicion is spot on.

When my first son got his dx I didn't react very much at all. I felt within myself that I'd accepted his condition and went straight to the GP for a referal to have the diagnosis by and ed psych confirmed by a child psychiatrist.

Even with the dx and subsequent confirmation I still didn't react much. I think for about a year I'd buried my head in the sand, with the deluded belief that I was tackling the dx head on. I did all the usual things, read books on the subject etc. But it wasn't until about a year ago that I finally took the bull by the horns and decided that if my children were going to be helped, that help had to be instigated by me.

Just go with the flow of your feelings and arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can find. You'll find your way and come out of the other side feeling strong and empowered.

Best wishes and a big hug >:D<<'>

Lauren

I'm still waiting for my sons ASD assessment to be finished but when he was diagnosed with ADHD it hit me like a brick, I thought there was always something not quite right, but when he was diagnosed it really hit me

Big >:D<<'> to you and your family.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I know how you feel, my ds got his dx 2 weeks ago & it's still difficult for me to put into words how I feel, just numb I think, on the bright side, my son has found life a lot easier since he found out & seems to be finding it easier to tell me how he feels.

Give yourself time to take it all in, I've just ordered some books that were recommended by our paed so I'm going to absorb myself in them.

Just remember everyone on here is here to support each other >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It'll take time to sink in hun. Make sure you don't feel guilty for feeling relieved because we all do it, at least thats one fight out of the way for you, now you can work towards getting the support you're gonna need. >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> hi koala here we felt very numb when we got kierans dx we knew what the prob was but when someone tells you its like a smack in the face but 6 months on it gets easier to cope with your child is still the same child and you are the same as parents a great big hug goes out to you take care koala >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>