Sign in to follow this  
jayjay

MOVING HOUSE

Hi i am new here i have been scouring the site for some time reading bits and bobs my son is not diagnosed yet but we are going through the process as school believes he has aspergers ( sometimes i think he has other days not) the concern i have at present is that we have decided to move to a new area but will still keep son at his school as not going far my son is 5 by the way, anyway he has been in tears everytime we mention moving and he says that he isn't moving he just wants to live here and thats it not sure how to deal with as this is a bit new to me please could anyone help. thanks :unsure:

Hi Jayjay

I can relate to this. My son was just 2 when we moved house and I'm still hearing about it (he's 9)! Of course we didn't know about AS at the time, but he was quite traumatised and wandered around clutching the one thing the movers left behind (a beanbag chair). He's like this about all new stuff - for 3 years he cried after every green car he saw, when we changed ours. He has a beautiful room with dinosaurs painted on the walls, but still yearns for the old torn stripey wallpaper that adorned the walls when we moved in 7 years ago.

I guess with AS you are best to prepare the child as much as possible - maybe visit the new area, get him a picture of the new house and his new room. If he's like my son this will help a little, but not totally reassure him. I mention often that I'm thinking of changing the kitchen or the colour of a room so that it isn't too much of a shock when it happens, but he's still upset. Sorry, not much help here - I'm sure others will be by to give better advice. Welcome to the forum

A

My eldest son with AS was 11 when we moved house. He is now 18 and he would still love to go back to his old room :(

At the moment we are planning a new three piece suite and already he is telling me that the one we have now is fine it's worn in. It's worn out and we will soon be sitting on the floor :lol: But I know that he will not be a happy bunny :robbie: for many weeks when we do buy a new one.

People with autism do not like change because it's not predictable and even at 18 David likes things to stay the same. I only wish you could see his room :o No I don't really it's terrible. He has every state of the art piece of hi-tec equipment you could ever hope to find in a bedroom that was last decorated when we moved house when he was 11 years old. :o Eventually my husband will give him a sleeping draft and you do the necessary while he is sleeping ;)

Carole