Sign in to follow this  
baddad

playstation parental control

Hi all - Ben was looking through the kid's bible yesterday (AKA the new Argos Catalogue), and I thought some of you might be interested to know about the 'PS2 Game Guardian' on pge 1680. Basically, it's a lockable timer that can be set to operate between 15 minutes and 4 hours. I know some really struggle to enforce time limits for their kids, and that some kids need very defined timetables for their own peace of mind, so in either case this sounds a very useful piece of kit.

Hope that's useful to someone

L&P

BD :D

PS: Ben's first item on his Christmas wish list: "Real World Golf" on page 1678 - 3D motion sensor and miniature club, so you actually PLAY the round of golf yourself rather than using a pad... I know another Ben who'd be keen on one of those VIPER ;):lol:;)

As a games player I will immediately understand the problems with curbing time on games which can't really be explained to anyone who has never bothered to play through a game themselves.

What if I am allowed half an hour on a game where I have reached a point which requires longer for me to progress?

Games are now more complicated and often have what are called 'randomised instances'. This is like when I'm stuck in a place with a complicated puzzle to solve, but to stop me from solving it easily by remembering what I did last time or by looking in a book or on the internet, certain factors about the puzzle are randomised.

Games are inherently just large puzzles. If I can only have half an hour at a time to play, I then have to return later to an instance where the rules have been changed, so I have to start over and over again, trying to do a two-hour puzzle in 30 minutes.

Imagine a crossword, jigsaw or a game of chess changing words, shapes or places everytime you're told to take a break from it every half hour and you can imagine the frustration. You will never complete it.

I am all for negociating limits as my mum never did with me and possibly harmed my emotional development as I never completed a single Zelda game until Ocarina of Time on the N64(Do not laugh, the Zelda games are very emotion-provoking and are listed among "our team lost the world cup final" as one of the few occasions in which men are allowed to cry). But I would prefer the supposed 'moderator' to actually have some grasp of what they are moderating.

Hi Lucas

My elder son David is and always has been a Zelda fanatic. In fact the screen saver on our PC at the moment is The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask B)

The only down side is that I have literally cut plugs of games machines to stop David from playing on Zelda :o But he completed every single one of them and David would also agree with you re moderation.

Carole

Edited by carole

I might get one of these for my other half, he'd go nuts with me if it switched off and he haddn't saved the game tho :lol:

My son also lovely his catalogue, blasted the woman in argos when they ran out once :rolleyes: had to go round families houses to find a replacement as his brother had ripped his

A ripped argos catalogue :o:o:o thats happened here too, major meltdown :wacko:

I think the timer is a very good idea, if it was used properly, I mean if you told the child that when the timer stops the game, then times up for now, obviously if you just set it without the child knowing then they wont grasp it and probably think the PS is broken and try to repair it :lol::lol: .

Zelda is BIG in our house too, even my 3 yr old absolutely loves it, we bought him a little Peter Pan dressing up costume, but he thinks it is Link, if anyone says "oh, look its Peter Pan", he goes mad and shouts "no, Link", he also has a sword and shield :blink:

They are all ready going on about the new one coming out in January :rolleyes: .

Brook

Lucas -

Absolutely sound argument you put forward, and completely identify with your frustration should the 'shilling run out' :lol::lol:

I'm sure you'll agree though that not all games are quite so 'now or never', and that some players may have problems moderating for themselves. This COULD be a better compromise then 'Turn that ************* thing off, your tea's getting cold', especially if the consequences of a cold tea can be a wrecked bedroom!

Happy Zeldaring

BD :D

Guest flutter

in this house i give the tea warning

then get told they have to find a save point??? ( lord of the rings)

1/2 hour later, it is still on , on pause we have tea and off they trot :wacko:

and this is daughter and hubs lol and he is worse when he goes on it!

Zelda is BIG in our house too, even my 3 yr old absolutely loves it, we bought him a little Peter Pan dressing up costume, but he thinks it is Link, if anyone says "oh, look its Peter Pan", he goes mad and shouts "no, Link", he also has a sword and shield :blink:

They are all ready going on about the new one coming out in January :rolleyes: .

Brook

Brook,Twighlight Princess isn't out till at least February,and even then, I doubt it will be out ,it's such a major game they're not going to risk it going gold and rushing it out into shops until it's completely finished,pity other developers don't do the same!

Do you have Zelda-Four Swords Adventures? worth getting if you don't have it whether for single or multiplayer. :D

Edited by TuX

Hi Tux, (FEBRUARY :blink: ) how am I gonna last that long with "when can we get it mum"?.

No, they haven't got the 'four swords' one you mentioned but I'm sure they will :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We have had to buy three lengend of Zelda the wind waker, as they keep getting scratched, they also have a CD of the music which my little one plays full blast :lol:

All I can say is roll on February ;)

Brook

Ok, opening up a can of worms here but tried Zelda on N64 a long time ago and could not understand it :blink:

I know the theory but I much prefer logical sequence games, not ones where you have to look for things. Favourite ever is Mario Kart or Mario 64. Sad but true.

Waiting for fallout.............. :tearful:

Yes - the Argos catalogue is a favourite in our house too!

... and Playstation games! I positively hate the ones where you have to reach a special 'save point' :wacko: ... Harry Potter being the worst culprit IMO.