Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Prog Rock

Hi all,

Is anyone else here into Progressive Rock as I am?

I'm currently listening to a supergroup made up of individual members of Dream Theater, Marillion, Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, that go under the name of Transatlantic.

There are comparisons with early Genesis, Yes, Asia, Pink Floyd, the symphonic aspects of Queen and even The Beatles. I'm loving it.

:thumbs:

Edited by ~Jonathan~

I know the site well :P

Yes, King Krimson, Genesis and the rest were part of my formative years.

Started reliving my heavy metal years too. Anyone else remeber the NWOBHM?

Simon

Hi all,

Is anyone else here into Progressive Rock as I am?

I'm currently listening to a supergroup made up of individual members of Dream Theater, Marillion, Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, that go under the name of Transatlantic.

There are comparisons with early Genesis, Yes, Asia, Pink Floyd, the symphonic aspects of Queen and even The Beatles. I'm loving it.

:thumbs:

I know quite a few online users who are always going on about Dream Theater,but I've never heard any of their music I don't think (unless it's on the Scuzz TV channel play listing)

and as for Marillion,I have noticed TV channel-Music Choice have started playing their music often although again-can't recall their sound.

Are any of you fans of these(slight mixture of rock/metal genres):

Rage Against The Machine

Pantera

Iron Maiden

System Of A Down

Kiss

My Chemical Romance

AC/DC

Hoobastank

Marilyn Manson

Hi mossgrove,

I certainly do remember the NWOBHM and practically all of the metal bands I like are from that era though not all are from Britain. Dio, Iron Maiden and Accept are my three faves from that timeframe.

Hi TuX,

Dream Theater are very much an acquired taste, they are a bit stop-start in how they approach songs, just as you get into where they're headed there comes another timechange and off we go someplace else. I don't enjoy James LaBrie's vocal delivery either so I rarely listen to them. I love Iron Maiden though and am just getting into King Crimson. I have a copy of Thrak laying around here someplace.

Edited by ~Jonathan~

At last some Maiden fans. B)

My DD bought me a real record (single) from reading festival for my birthday yesterday. It was on red vinyl and it is Number of the beast. I saw Iron maiden in a small pub gig they did. They went under a different name and not many people knew it was them but we had a tip off. It was great, we had a beer with them after and I got one of Nicko's drum sticks, sadly lost now. Steve Harris is realy short too. OH the miss spent youth. :dance::devil:

AD/DC, White snake and Bon jovi are other favs, I even had Bon jovi played in the register office when I got married two years ago.

Viper.

A furtive trawl through my vinyl LPs reveals the following...

Hawkwind (first gig I ever went to :) )

King Crimson

The Enid

Solstice (who?? :wub: )

T-Rex (Marc :wub::wub: )

The Doors (Jim :wub::wub: )

Pot Head Pixies ( :ph34r: )

Fleetwood Mac (especially early stuff with Peter Green!)

Steeleye Span

Jethro Tull (yay!)

Black Sabbath

Meat Loaf ( :o )

Dr Feelgood

Led Zeppelin...

These days I've mellowed a bit, but I really like The White Stripes as you can hear so many influences from other, great bands...

Bid :blink:

The Enid!

Whatever happened to them?

I remember them camping it up marvellously at the Reading festival many years ago. (On the same bill as Hawkwind and Dumpy's Rusty Nuts) I thought I was the only one who remembered them!

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Oooh, Reading Rock Festival!!

I have the dubious distinction of phoning home for my 'O' level results from a pay phone at the festival!! :ph34r::o

Where have the years gone to??

Bid :wub:

I saw The Enid years later, and then wished I hadn't, because either they had changed or I had...and I wished I'd left them as a golden memory!! :lol:

Hawkwind (first gig I ever went to :) )

The Enid

T-Rex (Marc :wub::wub: )

Pot Head Pixies ( :ph34r: )

Fleetwood Mac (especially early stuff with Peter Green!)

Jethro Tull (yay!)

Meat Loaf ( :o )

Dr Feelgood

Hawkwind was my 1st gig too :dance:

I even met them some years later in 79 when the brilliant Tim Blake was with them, backstage at Keele. Unfortunately it was mushroom season, so they made no sense at all :wacko: Nigel Mazlyn Jones played every year at the same time, for the same reason. You never knew if a song was going to last 2 minutes or half an hour :lol:

Here & Now 2nd - 6th gigs

The Enid - from my vague memories, the frontman/composer went a bit doolally and fired the rest of the band then brought out a concept album about the End of the World or the Holocaust or something similar. Ah, those were the days ;)

I started on Caravan, Matching Mole, Hatfield and the North, etc, progressed to Yes, Tull, Genesis, ELP, etc. but was then seduced by the dark side - Kiss, Rush, Van Halen, then the love of my life - punk. :partytime:

Being old and feeble, these days I mainly listen to Yes, The Rutles, Simple Plan and Offspring :band:

And I'm off to see the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band in January :dance::dance::dance::dance:

The front man for the Enid went very strange indeed, going as far as to shave his head, start wearing baggy T shirts and rename the band Enid and tour as a club/dance band under the name "enid" who I saw one night in Northampton. Needless to say this did not go down well with the faithful fans. Might be the tour Bid was talking about.

My first band was Pink Floyd doing the Wall shows at Earls Court (Start at the top and work down!). Listen to a lot of Yes and Genesis these days and rediscovering my youth with bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. (Must be having a 2nd childhood after turning 40 this year!)

Seen Hawkwind about half a dozen times, not always sure what song they were playing, they were always lot better if you had one of those funny cigarettes, another thing that seems an awful long time ago now!

Simon

And who can ever forget The Enid's celebrated rendition of 'Wild Thing'?? :dance::devil:

Bid :hypno:

Oooh, Simon...did you have long hair? When I was a teenager I was shamelessly shallow, and only liiiiiked lads with long hair :lol:;)

Forgotten all about Dumpy's Rusty Nuts...could have come straight from Baddad! :lol::lol:

And does anyone else remember Fat Freddie and his Cat? :hypno::hypno:

And does anyone else remember Fat Freddie and his Cat? :hypno::hypno:

last wek i was asked by an old friend what her Freak Bros and FF's Cat collection was worth, and had to point out that they are still being reprinted and selling well.

I still can't quite see the baby Goths we get round here sitting round stoned and giggling to them, but apparently that's who buys them :hypno:

And getting back to the Enid, I remember getting a newsletter full of the most amazing paranoid delusions when they lost their recording contract.