Sign in to follow this  
Flora

parental advice for statement decision

I've just got back from the post office where I sent a huge file containing my parental advice in support of my request for statement.

A few questions to those with statement experience (cos I'm a lazy moo who can't find what the answers in previous threads).

1) Has anyone successfully got a statement for their child when the school didn't think the child needed one? (head teacher at son's school doesn't think he either needs or will get a statement... even though he has firm diagnoses of AS and dyspraxia, is unhappy at school, and is underachieving and not making progress).

2) How much weight does the parents views and submissions (not to mention loads of documentation I have kept from psychiatrists, SALT etc) have on the decision to assess and the assessment itself?

3) Will I ever eat again???? I'm totally off my food with the anxiety of it all (no bad thing cos I'm not exactly twinkle toes!)

Lauren

Lauren

A lot depends on how your LEA look at it. Our son's mainstream school was admant that despite his diagnoses (ASD and ADHD) he was 'within normal range' socially and academically and shoul,d stay in mainstream.

Despite this he was awarded a Special School place at the first time of asking (EVERY other report contradicted the school's version of events) .

Simon

Hi Laue well done on getting the report done.My sons school did,t think he,d get or needed a statement .....he now has 15 hrs.Also all the evidence submitted to the panel came from us , our instigation and private assessments we,d had done.It is possible but might be a fight good luck.

Hi Lauren,

My son's (old) school told us that he wouldn't get assessed, wouldn't get a statement or a place in the school's ASD unit.............he got all three.

Our first try at an assessment was turned down, the reason.........school hadn't submitted their reports within the time limits :angry:

Looking at our final statement, the LEA has quite literally copied the report from the Ed. Physc. with a few comments from us and his paediatrician thrown in for good measure.

As for the eating, since everything has been sorted out and therefore I haven't been stressed, I have put weight on :o so I reckon there's definately a link there somewhere :blink:

Annie

>:D<<'>

Thank you all XX

Your responses are encouraging and have given me hope. I sent file off today but son had moderate melt down tonight, I'm taking him to the doctor's tomorrow because he's been depressed for months and I think it's time something was done medically. Should I send a foot note of this to the LEA or will I just wait until I've heard from them??

Thanks again for your encouraging replies.

Lauren :)

If the doctor confirms that your son is depressed (if he hasn't already), I would ask if he/she could put it in writing as it would add more weight to your request for assessment. It shows the effect the present school situation is having on him. Ask your GP for 2 copies, 1 for the assessment request and 1 for yourself, just in case the LEAs copy gets lost :wacko:

As well as Aspergers, depression is on my son's statement as a diagnosis.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Annie yes I will do that, thanks for the advice.

I've just spent 40 mins trying to find one of my son's books (he has all 11 of the Lemony Snickett books and one of them was missing), obviously feeling stressed he's trying to organise his book shelf and getting wound up about things being missing. I just wish I could ring the head teacher to come round and witness this melt down which shows all the signs of going on in to the wee hours, then ask her to look me in the eye and tell me there's nothing wrong with him (which she has been saying regularly since he started the school 18 months ago :angry: )

I'll be on the phone to the surgery first thing then will arrange meeting with the school (again!!).

Thanks again for all your advice and support

Lauren X

That's pretty encouraging everyone, I'm very much in the same situation, though am still writing my report, trying to get it out next week. My GP would not assess for depression as she said that was the job of the psychiatrist but won't see him for another while yet. I am mentioning it in my report though! And the difference in his behaviour during the summer hols and now he's back at school as it is so clear which one is the more distressing. Just hope they'll see it that way too!

Just one thing I would mention - watch that the LEA don't pick and choose which reports they take notice of - ours took notice of the two year old report from the local NHS SALT which said J had a mild expressive disorder and ignored the 6 month old private SALT report which had diagnosed a severe pragmatic disorder. :shame: Soon changed their tune ... :lol::lol::lol: and J had his first school visit from the SALT today!

Check all details with a fine toothcomb and query query query everything! :devil:

:hypno: still up but don't dare go to sleep. I've got ears on stalks listening out. He's asleep just now but keeps waking up crying. This is worse than it's been in a long time...ooooh let me think... at least since July... BEFORE he broke up for summer... see the connection? :wacko:

If the GP fobs me off with 'it's the psychiatrist's job' I don't know what I'll do....better get my thinking cap on in advance :jester:

Lauren

I am just wondering why are schools so reluctant when it comes to supporting parents who want a stat. ass. for their child. Is it purely down to the paperwork or are they worried that (as in our LEAs case) they will have to supply that support out of their existing SEN budget. I just can't get my head around schools reluctance. Is it that they will have to provide evidence of the support they are giving so far.

LKS I don't know the answer to why schools are so reluctant to support parents, I suspect it does come down to money. All I know is that my son's school are determined to ignore his dx and act as if he is hunky dory. I've put up with it for long enough now and I think they are beginning to have an inkling that I mean business. I have enough on them to make them fidgit.... right down to proof of their hastily thrown together IEP two days before OFSTED came in!!!!

Rang the doctor and have appointment for midday which was refreshingly easy to secure. Then decided I needed to also ring the child psych which was not so 'refreshing'. Was told that my son had been taken 'off file'. :blink: I couldn't believe it! 'you see we have a policy of removing children after a period of stability' :wallbash: . I very slowly explained that AS is a life long condition and my son was fast approaching adolescence... what sort of policy indicates that a case like that should be 'taken off file'? so that when they do hit a crisis we have to wait another 12 months for re-referral. ('taken off file' sounds like a euphamism for 'binned').

I explained the situation and she gave me a number that my GP can call if he thinks he needs further intervention beyond what a GP can offer. I didn't dare ask how long it would take to get an appointment if that was the case (my stress levels are at a comfortable level of extremely high.. I suspect the answer would have taken them off the scale)

Lauren