Sign in to follow this  
DAS999

Help for adults with Aspergers / ASD

I am currently pushing for my girlfriend to be diagnosed.

See my topic "Do Doctors Really Know About Aspergers and ASD"

If she is diagnosed what help would actually be available for her / us? I don?t know much about the disability system. I have read a few topics which have mentioned respite care for a few hours a week / month. Is this only for children? How does the disability system help adults? My girlfriend currently has no income as she really could not cope with a job and does not receive benefits. Would they help her to find a place she could work in (she wants to work) or give her benefits? I am very confused.

John

How does the disability system help adults?

Badly I think is the answer to your question. If the system is bad for children then it is dreadful for our adults. She should be able to receive a benefit now even if it is only the bog standard one that everyone gets.

If she does get a dx then she may be able to apply for Disability Living Allowance and possibily Carers Allowance. There are many other avenue, all of which look like a mine field. But they are there. The work front is not great for adults with AS with around 6% managing full time employment.

Sorry to paint such a negative picture.

Carole

We are supposed to disappear when we hit 18.

She might have to push and push for what she deserves in the way of supported employment or disability benefits. Through her doctor there may be support available, such as a counsellor to help her find ways to deal with difficult situations.

Thank you for your replies. I get the impression that the system is not that good. Oh well, I will let yoou know how it all goes for us. Thank you for your help and support.

John

sorry I have to agree with what's all redy been said.Of course she needs some help but is she going to get it even with a diagnosis.Doubtful me thinks.Best of luck

I would add that if your girlfriend can claim DLA and should look at Direct Payments but it isn't always easy to get social services to accept when people with ASD's need support.

I have to agree that things are not good, but I keep coming across people tutting and shaking their heads about how awful things are. We need to do something about this.

Many young people in our area have been dumped in old people's homes because there is no provision. This is a great place to raise awareness and lobby MPs that this simply isn't good enough.

The support group where I work have changed their constitution to help up to 25 year olds and I think it's good to put pressure on to extend services into adulthood. We're currently looking for funding to provide social skills and independent living skills, but we'll also need a venue and staff.

If anyone comes across grant providers that like this kind of venture, we'd be keen to here. See if any of your local groups will do the same.