Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Update on Ben and school

Hi all.

Today I have a day off, the 2 youngest have a teacher training day so I am taking the time to gather evidence for the meeting on Tuesday.

Yesterday, (Thursday) I decided to send Ben to school in a nappy, I was collecting him at 11.45 anyway so the school would not have to deal with it.

When I picked him up I spoke to the LSA and she said Ben had had a wonderful day and seemed a different child (she was unaware of the nappy) only once did he ask when I was collecting him and then went off happily to play. I asked her if she knew that the reason he was so happy was because he was wearing a nappy and she said "good for you, I can't see what the problem is, If Ben is this happy with one on then why not, I would do the same thing." Shame her oppinions are not considered, she is a wonderful lady.

I then spoke to the SENCO and she said " Ben has been fine today (with a smug grin) he has been smiling all day and happy (she didn't know about the nappy) when I told her (with a smug grin) she started to get flustered and said "I cant comment on that"

I asked Ben if he had needed a wee and he smiled and said

"No, I had a nappy on and no one even knew, they didn't laugh at me either, Can I always wear a nappy to school so I can stay all day like the other kids?"

Heartbreaking stuff, the poor lad knows what he needs, I just have to fight for it.

This is really getting to him now, Wednesday night and last night he has had nightmares, when I go to him he is calling "mummy" I ask him what he wants and he say's "I want to go home" It's so sad that he has been effected so badly that it is invading his sleep.

Off to gather more evidence now.

Viper.

Stay strong, Viper...you are legally and morally in the right :bat:

Have you written to the Head stating the legal position/asked for his written record of what the school is doing??

Thinking of you both >:D<<'>

Bidx

Bid, this is what the meeting is about on Tuesday, Hubby, who is union rep trained is going to point out all the legal points of this fiasco and I am confident we will prove they don't have a leg to stand on. By the time Hubby leaves the meeting Ben will be able to wear nappies on his head if he wants.

I have reached the point where I am unable to go to the meetings any more, i find it too upsetting and am afraid I will lose my cool.

Viper.

Viper

I think you have shown the schools case to be worthless. :notworthy:

It is still worth getting someone to go with Hubby to the meeting if you can, even if Hubby is more that capable of looking after himself.

We found this out the hard way when H's mainstream school tried to deny that they had ever agreed to provide 10 hours a week of 1:1 support to our son while his statement application was processed. If there is someone there like Parent Parnership they are far less likely to try to re-write the outcome of the meeting at a later date.

Good luck!

Simon

Viper :D:D:D:D

Take your first post and copy and pate it into a word document. Use this as evidence in your meeting of how pleased they all were with him Thursday.

Get him to sign it where he asks for a nappy on so he can go to school.

EVIDENCE!!!!!

Viper, sorry no advice here, other than I agree with what you're doing. Big hug >:D<<'> and hope you and your husband manage to get this awful attitude sorted out.

Good luck with your meeting

Lauren

Viper when my daughter was in the infant school (mainstream) there was a little girl with special needs, don't quite know what they were but she wore a nappy to school all day and it was changed by the welfare assistant if needed (mum told me). She also has a feeding tube, which the school dealt with as well. Since she transferred to the juniors it is a different story and the head is most unco-operative. She is now at a different school where they have no problem with this. Best of luck with your meeting, hope your husband makes them squirm. I agree with others it would be good to have someone else just taking notes while he does his stuff ! I have learnt that what school thinks was discussed and agreed and what I think are often totally different.

Viper, you have mail!

I put all the 'Unlawful exclusion' information I, and others, had posted re:illegal exclusions and put it into one post. Board Admin have put this at the very top of this forum. I have added something to it today that shows that what Ben's school have been doing is illegal and, at least one LEA have told schools to stop doing it NOW!!! :thumbs: