Sign in to follow this  
LKS

Problems with support

Some of you will know that my son has just transferred to secondary school. He is statemented and should receive 15 hours of L.S.A. support per week. The transfer has gone O.K. and most of the teachers have been good with him. We had some trouble with the English teacher at first as she hadn't received his profile, listing potential problems etc. We are having BIG BIG problems in maths to the extent that son does not want to go into school on those days. Maths is his strongest subject and he is in the top group. He was looking forward to maths in secondary school cos he thought it would be more challenging. The teacher is the problem as she is very negative and sarcastic something my son does not understand very well. For their first lesson she had them ruling margins all the way through their books. How to capture the imagination of the top class :wacko: The lessons seem to consist (and other children have confirmed this) of copying lots of notes from the board. My son finds writing difficult after a while and this is detailed on his statement, his handwriting is quite weak as well. So as he is desparately trying to get the work down, she will then tell them their homework verbally. He is not managing to get this down, for example last homework he wrote finish maths thingy :lol: At first I was trying to phone round other people in his class to find out the homework but I am not bothering now. I have been e-mailing the SENCO on a regular basis (I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself now) she has told me that there is no-one available to support him in maths at the moment, she has been in herself and said everything seems fine :angry:Son went mad when I told him this and said well of course it was because she was in there. One particular piece of homework hadn't been written down in detail, son did as much as he could, I wrote a note in his book to say he was unable to complete as he hadn't understood,perhaps she could explain in more detail. She hasn't and put a big red question mark in his book and wrote homework underneath! ! could go on there is much more. My son said she is making me feel useless please get me out of this class. He is now planning to start dropping results so he can be moved down, and yes I've told the SENCO all this. I was led to believe that son would get handouts in lessons for homework when no support was available or if someone was with him they would check he understood. As far as I can see son is getting support in lessons where there is the greatest need for other pupils in general not where he needs it the most. I have been patient now , so please give advice on what to do next.

Hi LKS,

I would put all of your concerns down in a letter to the Head, including a copy of your son's book where you had written that your son didn't understand the homework and the teacher's reply. This will show the Head that you and your son are trying to co-operate, the teacher isn't :angry: I would also make a point of quoting the parts of your son's statement that are not being carried out by the school including difficulties that your son has that the school are not taking into consideration. I would put at the end of the letter that you would like the Head's comments ASAP as your son is now finding his lessons so difficult that he does not want to go to school.

Make sure you keep a copy of everything as well.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Edited by annie

Hi LKS ... I know exactly where your coming from ...!

We had exactly the same experience with T when he first started secondary school. 15 hours support, promises of this that and whatever, and the reality was ... uninformed teachers, lack of empathy, a constant battle to get T the help he needed.

What I can say is, don't let this go on to long, if the SENCO promised you handouts in lessons where there is not support keep chasing her up. I'd make an appointment with the maths teacher and ask them what they know about ASD ... ASD in mainstream schools, is meant to be a whole school approach, which means the maths teacher SHOULD know about it, but probably won't!

This kind of approach by the school will only be detrimental to your son, because there will come a time, when the h/wk hasn't been done, he has a wobble at some sarcastic comment that he's not understood and then got more confused, either he will become challenging within the classroom, or get more challenging for you to get him into school. I don't mean to be alarmist, but this ambivalent approach by the school, and the lack of attention to his statement is exactly our experience with T, take 'em by the horns and give 'em a good shake! don't let them get away with giving your son poor provision ... you can ask for a copy of his t/table and when he has support marked on it, I would also get in touch with the Autistic Team/Communications Team, if he needs support for his recording skills .. where is that support etc ...?

Write it all down, and keep a copy, send it to the Autistic Team as well, I'd even be tempted to meet with the HT, but thats me ... in for a penny in for a pound!

What does his IEP say?

T used to have a 'passport' which he gave to new teachers/supply etc ... that used to give information about his ASD and his needs, this might be a good suggestion for you SENCO. i.e. the literal interpretation/seating arrangements/writing difficulties/toilet problems/ etc ...

Hope your ok, HHxx

Edited by Hectorshouse

Ask the school 1 question...

What support would they be offering a child with visual problems in this lesson. The answer should be along the lines of:Supplying visual aids such as large photocopies of worksheets etc.

My response would then be to ask why photocopies fo worksheets and homework are not being supplied to your son. This address's his disability in a suitable manner, or can they not be ars*d to ensure he access's the curriculum in full? Why is the teacher not ensuring he has got all the details of his homework writen up? If the excuse that she cannot do that for everyone is used point out your not asking her to. You are asking for her to do it for your son. Suggest a homework mentor is nominated in his class whose role is to check his homework is writen up - we have done this for some of my children and it worked. Make it clear that he is in danger of becomming a disaffected pupil where maths is concerned - this being one of his fav lessons. This is unacceptable.

I'd be asking for a copy of their SEN policy as well, just to see what they have to say in it. If there is anything in there you can use to reinforce your stance. If there are glaring holes in it they need to be filled.

HTH

Thanks all again. You know I was so hopeful about son starting secondary school. I am just so p****d off with them all. The SENCO made all of the right noises at his last annual review. As far as I can see it is just her in a school of 1200 pupils, don't know how many of them are SEN. I have had trouble with this particular maths teacher in the past. When I knew my son was getting her for maths my heart sunk, BUT I didn't say anything to him about her and he has never heard any negative comments about her from me. She was my elder son's maths teacher and once during an open evening son and me were walking along the corridor, she grabbed my arm and said "your son needs to pull his socks up". My son was at an age where he went really red, other parents and pupils turned round to look at us. I told her if she had a problem she wished to discuss with me could she make an appointment for a suitable time. I tell you what I nearly slugged her one :star: Another time oldest son turned up for a lesson and she asked him what he was doing in that class, he replied I've come for my maths lesson, she said you're in the wrong room boy you've been dropped. Have I painted a good enough picture of her. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she has demonstrated no understanding of ASD at all. Probably doesn't think it exists :crying: In another of her lessons (we are back in the present now!) the class were supposed to self mark their work, she was going so fast with the answers that my son couldn't keep up so he decided to mark some wrong in case it looked suspicious :wub:The SENCO has been keeping in good contact with me through e-mail but she is failing to come up with any answers. I am going to do as you all suggest I'm writing to the head master, copying the HOD head of maths and the SENCO, might as well stick the LEA in there as well. Actually I can put it in with letter I am writing to them about my concerns regarding my daughter's statement as well! HO HUM.

have you tried meeting with the teacher. If you request an appointment - she must meet with you. Tell her yourself and go over the parts of his stament with her so that she knows what to do. RECORD the meeting (I dont give them a chioce, I am dyslexic and use that as my excuse to record all meetings, or say this is so my partner can be a part of this meeting...) - so that you have her agreements on file.

AND complain to the head.

after reading you last comment - maybe not a good idea - she sounds like a nun! (ex. sufferer of catholic school here ;)

Edited by nvapid

I thought the other day about sending the dicta-phone into school with son so he could record lessons :devil: not a good idea I suppose. Son does not have I.E.P yet how many weeks are we into term. I have suggested a meeting with this teacher and SENCO said she will come with me when meeting is arranged. Have spent most of the morning writing a lovely letter. Will take copies of relevant pages of his book to send in as well. Also copied a couple of pages of his maths book from last year to show what stage he was working at and what he was capable of and most importantly the teachers positive attitudes and comments! Have asked for copy of SEN policy,which is being forwarded to me via son. Will keep you informed.

Got an e-mail from SENCO yesterday to say that they have engaged a new L.S.A and she will be starting straight away. Her main priority will be supporting son in maths. She asked in what ways I thought the L.S.A's could best support him. Well I thought that was why she came to the last annual review, and myself and his teacher spelled our where we believed he would need most support. We couldn't mention specific lessons always but were able to tell her what we believed he might struggle with. I appreciate that he doesn't want someone sitting on his shoulder all the time especially as he is trying very hard to fit in. Handouts with homework explaining clearly what is to be done and when are essential, and I explained I'm getting really tired chasing round after other people in his class to see if he has got everything down. I mentioned Phasmids idea of a homework monitor, she thought this might be worth a try. Why oh why are we into the 4th week of term and just working this out :wacko: I must say this SENCO is much more approachable though and at least asks for your help and opinions.

that is such a turn around - well done, must have been an excellent letter :notworthy:

make sure you keep on the senco's case though - they can be devious.

this is very, very common with transfer to high school and is often even worse for those with no statement - 4 weeks is actually pretty good going to get any results.

stay strong

Zemanski

Great news :thumbs::clap:

Thank goodness the school woke up to the fact you were not going to be messed with............I know it's hard, but us parents can't afford to let them get away with things.

Annie

>:D<<'>