Sign in to follow this  
jomica

Annual Review

My son's annual review is coming up shortly and I was talking to his teacher about it yesterday.

He's getting to the age now where we're starting to explain in more detail what's going on, so it came as no surprise to me this morning when he asked "What's that meeting for, Mum?" He means, of course, the dreaded annual review of his statement.

We talked about what it meant - that some people who were interested in his progress at school were getting together to look at how much support he needed and what sort of activities would help him to progress in school and in life.

He's eight, so I said that maybe he'd want to think about writing a letter to the people at the review telling them what he thinks.

Now I'm panicking. Do you think I've done the right thing? He's spent all breakfast time plotting how to get rid of his LSA for most of the day, when I know that he actually needs her for a good part of it ...................!

Help !! :(

Hi Jomica,

I don't think you are wrong.

Children's opinions are supposed to be taken into account when it comes to reviews. My son (16) used to come to review meetings with us, unfortunately, the LEA/school used his opinions as ammo to cut back on his 1:1 support (his BIG gripe was having an LSA, even though he couldn't cope without one).

Could you write a carefully worded questionaire, so that your son could give his views that way.

Annie

XX

I've just remembered that I had this..........a suggested questionaire.

A - IN SCHOOL

1. How do you think you are getting on at school?

2. What do you like doing best at school? What subjects or lessons do you enjoy?

3. What do you least enjoy at school? Are there are subject or activities you do not like doing?

4. What do you think you are good at doing at school?

5. What are the hardest subjects for you at school?

6. Who has helped you most at school?

B - CURRENT CONCERNS

7. Do you have any problems that affect your attendance at school? If so, what are they?

8. When you attend school do you have any problems at present? If so, what are they?

9. a.Do you think you need any extra help at school? YES/NO What sort of help?

b. Are you getting this help?

c. If you had more help or a different sort of help, would you be able to manage better at school?

10. a. How would you describe your behaviour in class?

b/ How would you describe your behaviour in school generally?

11. Are there are topics, subjects or skills which you would particularly like to learn in the future and which do you think would be helpful to you? If so, what?

C - FRIENDS

12. a. Do you have any friends at school/ YES/NO

b. Who are your special or best friends?

13. Do you hve any problems with any of the other pupils at school? If so, what sort of problems?

14. a. Do you have friends at home? YES/NO

b. Would you like to have opportunities to make more friends? YES/NO

Annie

X

My son used to attend his IEP reviews. He was always asked questions along the lines of those framed by Annie. He felt it was useful because he doesn't like people discussing him behind his back or making decision about him or for him without first seeking his views.

He was free to leave the meeting at any time if it got too much for him and having had his say(which was always the first thing dealt with) he would often ask to leave.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

My son also gripes about having an LSA in the first place, but I know that he really can't manage full-time without her at the moment.

The list of questions will be very useful in helping him think about what to write down, although I'll have to bring them down to his level (8 yrs) a bit for him to understand.

I discussed this with his LSA this morning and she thinks its a good idea too. We have to start being more open with him, as we can't have these discussions without him anymore - he's certainly very conscious of what's going on around him these days!