Sign in to follow this  
Tensing

Help. What do I want from the LEA?

Help. What do I want from the LEA?

As some of you are aware I applied for statutory assessment for my son Henry 5 (Asperger?s, Attention Deficiency, Hearing Impaired (wears Hearing Aid) Motor Skills problems, Bowel and Bladder control issues) and was refused. We are now in the process of appeal, and are also in mediation. I met with the mediator yesterday and have a mediation meeting with the mediator, head teacher and the LEA next week.

The mediator has asked me to put together a list of what I want from the LEA, and I suddenly thought I don?t really know.

I know I want an assessment to be carried out, but after that I don?t really know. I know he needs some 1:1 but I do not have any idea how much.

Please can you all give me some guidance of what I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance.

this is the REAL problem... once they admit our kids need help - what can we get?

List

1:1 = a translator, hearing imapred sign lauangaue?

special equipment for hearing imapered

a computer, both for hearing issue and motor skills if writing is an issue

all class information to be in paper or electronic format

access to toilet facilites

social skills classes for AS and ADHD

motor skills classes

that's all I know of. I am so sorry to hear your lea is so cr*p!

LEA witch reduced me to tears the first time we met.

you want a full assessment so that you can determine exactly what your son does need - you know he has needs but how can you tell without the assessment exactly what his needs are and how to meet them

do detail what you think he will need but you really, really need that assessment as a first step to understanding his full needs in an educational setting.

Okay I have written a small presentation on Henry, I always get carried away. Below is the summery of what I feel would be appropriate at the moment. Please teake a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance

Summery

It will only be after a full assessment that we can truly know Henry?s significant complex needs; an assessment would enable everyone working with Henry, a better insight in to his Strengths and Weaknesses.

I believe that Henry needs a full Assessment, and that an assessment will show that he needs help in the following.

? 1:1 Support to stay focused on independent work, and work that involves him interacting with a small group, when it easy for him to become distracted.

? 1:1 help in explaining what is required of him as Henry does not often understand instructions first time.

? 1:1 Support for PE, due to his coordination problems, lack of fear and poor impulse control I believe that he should have support when using equipment or apparatus, as he could pose a danger to himself and others. He also requires help with dressing and undressing.

? Support and extra supervision in the playground, so as to allow him safe access to other children?s games and build valuable social skills.

? Support with toileting, Henry has a bowel problem that means he frequently soils himself; he needs both training in how to cope with this and help in cleaning himself up. He also needs to be reminded to go to the toilet otherwise he simply forgets.

? Social skills help; Henry needs help in learning social skills, either through activities or social skills groups and stories.

? Recording Information, Henry needs help with recording information; this could either be in the form of 1:1 support or access to ICT equipment.

? Help organising himself and his equipment so that he does not lose things.

? Support when he is overcome by his irrational fears.

? Exercises to help develop his motor skills.

? Training for his teacher and LSA on Asperger?s Syndrome, Attention Deficiency and Coordination Problems.

Henry is an enigma, so much about him and his needs is yet to be discovered, and so a statutory assessment is the best way to gain the knowledge needed to find his premium learning methods. I feel that it essential that Henry receives help sooner rather than later, as although he may appear to be coping at the present I do not feel he is progressing as well as he should be.

Thanks for that will find somewhere to add it in.

At the moment his hearing problems are not to much of a concern, with his hearing aid in and his seating position in class, he copes just fine, he has a Teacher of the Deaf visit about once a month, and so that is really sorted.

That's great, Tensing, but it still needs to go into your parental evidence because if it's not in his Statement, it could be stopped at any time :unsure:

All your son's difficulties must be covered...if only that you describe the help he is getting and that this needs to continue.

Bid :)