Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

A double whammy today.

Took T to school this morning and once again, he kicked off, his LSA had to left to deal with him. He's getting more and more unpredictable lately! His LSA told me the headteacher wanted to see me so I went (LSA later joined us). Got told that i) his level of support has now been cut from 5.5hrs a day to 2hrs a day (got told a week or so ago that it would be 3hrs so where that went I don't know!). SNAP has looked into this and for Level 7 (LEA) he is entitled to 10hrs a week which is 2hrs a day. There is NO WAY he can manage on this. Then got told that ii) his LSA after 3yrs, is leaving. Said she is looking for other owrk now b/c it's not worth her working for 2hrs a day which is understandble but I am absolutely gutted!! She is BRILLIANT with T and T adores her!. She is leaving next week when half term begins so who will take her place is anyone's guess right now. I dunno what it is, maybe it's b/c she's helped me so much and T especially, we kinda hit it off and I'm just numb!! She said last year that she would stay with him right through to high school if he still needed the support but guess it's not so now!

I'm just constantly in tears today, feeling really down, empty and I just wanna grab T and run, but then where do I go???

How do I explain to a 6 yr old possibble ASD child that she is leaving and he'll have someone new but for less time?? Gee, I can't even deal with this myself and I'm a 30yr old NT adult!!

As for the school move, this school he is in now is fuming that I'm considering moving him and the other school head said to get his annual review out of the way first in December so can't decide on it until Jan at least!.

It's all happening at once and my head it being pulled left right and centre. I can't deal with any of this right now!! :crying:

Hi Tylersmum,

Plenty of these for you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Sounds like the school's had its funding cut if LSA is moving on too. I know this sounds weird but would you be able to go in and give a hand yourself for a few hours or do other commitments prevent that?

Other alternative I guess would be a school move but how much disruption would that cause T? And no matter which school you go to if you're in the same LEA the hours of assistance would be the same I suppose.

Are there other parents and children in the same boat at school? Perhaps you could arrange a meeting with them and the head governor to discuss the matter.

Hope You and T get through this

Daisy

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Have some more of these, i wish i could give you some advice.

It must be a horrible shock to get all that dumped on you in one go.

Try to keep your chin up xxxxxxxxx

Hi Tylersmum,

Plenty of these for you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Sounds like the school's had its funding cut if LSA is moving on too. I know this sounds weird but would you be able to go in and give a hand yourself for a few hours or do other commitments prevent that?

Other alternative I guess would be a school move but how much disruption would that cause T? And no matter which school you go to if you're in the same LEA the hours of assistance would be the same I suppose.

Are there other parents and children in the same boat at school? Perhaps you could arrange a meeting with them and the head governor to discuss the matter.

Hope You and T get through this

Daisy

Thanks for both your replies.

Not sure about going into school to help whenit's taken this long to get him into fulltime school (he's in Yr2 and just started fulltime). I will look into it though.

From what I was told last week, T is the only one in the school who gets LSA support so I'm on my own with that one!! There is a unit in the school but it's in the juniors only and T is in the infants. Those kids get support within the unit but notwhilst in normal classes.

If I did move schools, the LEA would be the same so his LSA level would reamin the same too! :crying:

Thanks for you advise. It's been greatly appreciated. Just to know I an't alone in this and I can come here for support b/c God know's, I'm alone here!!! :crying:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I am at a loss as to how your LEA can justify doping what they are doing to your little boy.

Is your head on board to the extent that they agree that Tyler cannot cope with 2 hours LSA a day?

There are two issues here, one is Tylers level of need and the other is the level of funding that the school receives to employ a LSA for Tyler.They are related, but not the same thing.

If Tyler needs more time than two hours a day, the school must provide it. The funding issue is between the school and the LEA, not between the school and you.

My first thought is that you should apply for an emergency review of his statement provision as it it plainly not working, you do this by writing a letter to the LEA much in the same way as you would in requesting an asessment. It is this emergency review process that got J his place in special school, where he is thriving. It would help immensley of the head were to back you up in sayiong that Tyler cannot cope on 2 hours LSA a day.

I wouldn't try and do it alone though. Please contact IPSEA as they are the prople 'in the know' as to what you should do next.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Please listen to Simon because he has given some good advice. The school budget is not your problem - it's their problem - and it can't be cut at this tim eof year. Funding is allocated in April. If they have used it all then tough again that is their problem.

Contact IPSEA as they are the experts.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We are here for you - you know that.

Carole

The last two posts say everything there is to be said.

You need someone 'on the spot' to help you with this. The LSA has been placed in an awful situation. Kudos to them for having the guts to tell you themselves they're leaving, you can't blame them for going though.

Contact IPSEA as soon as possible. Good luck.

wow u have a lot to cope with all at once. my son had a carer when he started school and then the ed said they couldnt fund her any more. she was brilliant with him too, he really missed her for a long time, but he got used to it in the end.

what choice do they have?

Hi

I feel really sorry :tearful: for you you must be devastated, no matter how difficult it is :( you have to try to prepare your son during half-term about the changes, best even to tell him before the LSA is leaving may be he could make a drawing for her.

I remember my son was so devastated when he realised than a teacher who was not is reacher but use to look after him when he was having a bad time had left and he had not said good bye to him. :(

Hope you will find some light at the end of the tunnel.

Really the IPSEA is good contact them

Take care

Malika.