Sign in to follow this  
smiley

The battling continues..

Hi everyone,

Those of you who read my thread about M's school will understand the trouble i've been having... (M's 6 and has been diagnosed with Aspergers...)

I found out (via another mum) that M's class are going on a trip to the local common tomorrow...i haven't been told. M has no idea. I cannot begin to imagine how upsetting this is going to be for him.

The home/school book hasn't been filled in from the first day it began - despite me asking repeatedly. I'm there every morning and every time after school when i collect him - surely they could have told me?

Now what do i do???!!! :wallbash:

By law a permission slip is needed to take children off the school premises. If you haven't signed one he can't go. I am also sure that a 'blanket slip' to cover all trips is now illegal - 1 note per trip is required. If you have signed one I think they assumed you'd tell him. That's all well and good, but it doesn't sound like you knew either. That's simply not on. You should have known about this trip and they ought to be preparing him for it too.

This is basic stuff, they ought to be doing it as a matter of course. This is simply not good enough. What does the school SEN policy have to say about this sort of situation? It ought to be covered in there.

Smiley, there is another possibility. Is there an intention for him to go on the trip?.

A child I know of locally, did not get to go on school trips because the school did not send the consent slips home, therefore he was successfully excluded from them and mum was none the wiser!

I would have thought that the trip would have needed some careful planning and risk assessing before taking a child with AS on it.

Best wishes

HelenL

PS Mr Phasmid will know more about these things

Yes, a risk assesment should have been done. But this should be the case regardless of having a child with disabilities in the class or not. This assesment is then held on file in case of incident. If the assesment shows that the risk of incident is too high to allow the disabled pupil to go (whatever their disability) then NO TRIP TAKES PLACE. Simple as that.

We have had trouble getting permission slips back from some parents before now. This has seen ME go round to their homes in order to try and get a slip signed on the day of the trip more than once. I wouldn't let my school exclude a child by this back-door exclusion method. Any staff members of a school doing this who do nothing and let the school do this are as guilty of the offence as those who do not send the slip home. I am in no doubt that some schools find this an acceptable way of dealing with some pupils - I don't!

My son who is six(year2) went on a school outing to an open air museum yesterday. It went fantastically well!

I received a letter with a permission slip to fill out. He was able to fully access all the activities with his peers.

Last week his LSA sent home an itinerary of the day in language that he would understand, right from the very start about going to the toilet before leaving school and who he would sit next to etc. A coppy was in the classroom and on our fridge at home.

At home the night before we all went on the internet to see where the trip was.

Its not rocket science just a little bit of forward planning!

Sonia x

Hi Smileymab.

I would suggest you phone the school and ask what is going on.

I have been put in a similar situation with Louis. School were going on a trip to a zoo-type place. School told me that the only way for Louis to go was for me to go with him. They know I have 2 other children, one who needs to be picked up from nursery at lunchtime, so in effect, they knew I couldn't go with him, hence they excluded him unfairly.

Speak to the school and find out what is going on. At least you will have tonight to get him ready.

Sorry, I just wrote all that, and realised that the trip is today. Hope that you managed to get it sorted out.

fiorelli xx

Hi,

I tried to explain to M about the trip last night, he seemed exited at first.

M spent an hour and a half banging his head on the wall this morning. I had to help him get dressed because he was unable to do it himself (couldn't concentrate to put trousers round right way etc..), he found his sunglasses and wore them to school so 'no one can see me'. The whole time still optimistic and saying (obviously i know better) that he wanted to go to the common.

It was heartbreaking. I had to go to work or otherwise i wouldn't have let him go to school today.

I got to school, teacher has disapeared, spoke to the LSA saying i (nor M) had any warning about the trip. She said a letter had been sent home. I didn't recieve one. She was very 'oh, he'll be fine' and shooed me away.

I went to the head and explained the situation and my complaints to her..she just said 'ok. i'll have a word with the teacher'. Then asked me to leave as she had a meeting (yeah, right..).

I'm teying hard to be strong....but it's not easy..

How rude to be so dissmissive of you like that!

I have two questions:

1. Did they get you to sign a permission slip this morning?

2. Did he go on the trip?

If he did go (and there is no reason - bar one - that he shouldn't have gone), how did he get on. If they did not get you to sign a slip and there has been any sort of incident they accepted your verbal permission. The fact that you did not return a slip should have been noted and a reply chased up.

I'd put the same remarks you made to the head in a letter. Stick in a S.A.E. (makes it clear you expect a response - in writing), they should be apologising and ensuring that this does not happen again in the future! I really hope for his sake that the trip went OK.

Hi Phasmid,

1) No permission slip signed this morning.

2) He said it was cold - lol :wub: - he's quiet this evening, looks a bit tense, it usually takes a couple of days for anything to come out if he's stressed. But he seems ok at the moment, which is good.

Head's going to be getting another letter! Reminds me - i need to chase up the other one.

As always - thank you for the advice >:D<<'>

Just a little add-on...

This morning when i dropped M off, teacher (yes - she actually spoke to me!!!) asked me to remind her to fill in the home/school book at the beginning and end of the day. She appologised and said it should be done without me asking - but she's really busy....

She mentioned that the head has had a word with her ( - finally!)

I don't think it is my job to remind her - but this is a huge improvement on her recent behaviour.

Oh, and the 1-2-1 they have advertised for (says on the advert, for year 2 child with Aspergers - ie; M) is actually going to be helping three children - not just M. Gggrrrr.

I'm taking all what happened this morning as a (little) positive step. I think the head has realised i mean buisness......

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey........... :devil:

Oh, and the 1-2-1 they have advertised for (says on the advert, for year 2 child with Aspergers - ie; M) is actually going to be helping three children - not just M. Gggrrrr.

Oh. First of all, and I'm sure you have told us somewhere,does M have a statement? If so does it mention 1-1 support and if so how much. If he has, and it does, then you have every right to insist he gets the provision as laid down in the statement - they are legaly obliged to provide it. As for using it with other children. Well, a lot depends on what that 'use' is. If M is being taught social skills it is almost impossible to teach these away from his peer group - hence the 'other children'. If however they are using his statement (and the accompanying funding for it) to support them on the back of his statement they are on very dodgy ground. 1-1 should always have a primary focus on the particular child they are employed for (you often can't help 'helping others' but thats a different story!). Let us/me know about the statement for sure and I'll let you know my take on it (though I suspect you know what I'm going to say!!!)

Edited by phasmid

Hi,

M hasn't been statemented. Thus begins a veryyyy long story...will narrow it down..

Last year i knew very little about statements. Just that i thought it was for the schools to decide if one was needed. (bet you can guess what the school said...)

This year, along with officail dx - the speech therapist and pead have told me to statement M myself...then came the meeting with Ed Psyc... I discussed statementing with her. As the school have nothing in place for M (he has been on school action plus since Nov 03??) she feels that the LEA would not statement him as stratigies to help M cope with school haven't been tried fist - hope your all keeping up.... - So, basically, i want to statement him, but without the backing of the Ed Psyc?? And school are absoulutely against it..surprise, surprise. Say he's getting funding on school action plus - which is about the same as statementing funding (my argument is - the statemented funding would be used for M and only M)

Personally if feel that they are putting everything in my way to statement...the advert will be shown to LEA..."he's getting 1-2-1 help". Which i now know to be rubbish. No stratigies are in place...cynical me feels it is to put a halt to statementing - LEA will want things put in place to see if that helps M first.

M is not being taught socail skills in school, he has no visual timetables (but uses them at home) he is basically treated as an NT child - EP suggested social skills to LSA - she said, 'i dont feel it's important...'

They tell me M is happy at school.

I know my son, he is very placid in nature, he doesn't get violet, argue or disrupt the class. If he can't cope, he shuts down, 'zones out' and therefore is no 'bother' to the class. If he gets overloaded (noise, smell, etc) he giggles hysterically, rocks, goes into himself - rather than wallop someone.

Yesterday morning was a prime example...he was obviously very anxious..but the whole time her was saying, repeatedly, 'it's going to be fun at the common'. The school hear/see this behaviour and have decided he's 'happy'. It's increadibly frustrating....

The speach therapist even said - if he wacks someone he might get help :(

Hi Smiley.

Sorry to hear things still aren't going well.

I don't envy you one bit. I am getting all the help I can from my school, and professionals, and still, everything is taking a hell of a long time, and a hell of a battle.

Is there anyway you can get advice from an outreach worker/get them to go into school and observe him? (don't know how you go about this though, although I do know of a school that send out outreach workers to my area if that helps - or even if this has already been done?)

I will say though that our LEA is a hard one to get a statement out of - but that doesn't mean you can't. What is to stop you putting in an application with the information you have, and go from there?

Good luck,

fiorelli xx

This year, along with officail dx - the speech therapist and pead have told me to statement M myself...then came the meeting with Ed Psyc... I discussed statementing with her. As the school have nothing in place for M (he has been on school action plus since Nov 03??) she feels that the LEA would not statement him as stratigies to help M cope with school haven't been tried fist - hope your all keeping up....

Hmm. Ok. SA+ for nearly two years with, presumably little progress, is not good. SA+ should see outside advice being sought and if little had been achieved in this time frame I am surprised that statementing has not been suggested by said outside agencies.

basically, i want to statement him, but without the backing of the Ed Psyc?? And school are absoulutely against it..surprise, surprise. Say he's getting funding on school action plus - which is about the same as statementing funding (my argument is - the statemented funding would be used for M and only M)

EP backing would help but it isn't a necessary pre-requisite. They are not the only one's who will have input. The amount of support between SA+ and statementing may or may not be wildy different but, as you say, it WOULD be focussed on M. I think 'nail' and 'head' would describe my thoughts.

Yesterday morning was a prime example...he was obviously very anxious..but the whole time her was saying, repeatedly, 'it's going to be fun at the common'. The school hear/see this behaviour and have decided he's 'happy'. It's increadibly frustrating....

The speach therapist even said - if he wacks someone he might get help

From a school perspective they appear to have a quiet child - you are the one who faces the fallout from whatever happens during the school day. My advice here would be to keep a diary of events at home to tie in wih things at school. Log everything. At the same time insist on getting the home/school diary filled in - you can tie things in with each other. There is nothing stopping you from making a formal (written) request to the LEA to assess him for a statement. They have to respond to such a request and if they decide not to go for a statement then they are required to give you the reasons.

HTH

Ok, will do. I've dug out a note book and will start it from the beginning of the term - put everything that has happened in it.

The EP has only had M on her 'books' since the beginning of this term because she was full last year (the school didn't contact any outside help in YR) - we've had to wait to see her. I will call her and let her know the things she advised the school to put in place haven't happened. The CAMBS team came in to see him last year - said they couldn't do much without the EP onboard (though did say he needs to be statemented)...i'll try them again.

I suppose i could speak to the speach therapist and pead - see if they will put something in writing for me.

Blimey, isn't this depressing stuff. My little boy deserves better than this.

He is as stressed out now - after only half a term - as he was at the end of the last school year. Very worried about him. :(

Smileymab

It is, I suspect, true that the lEA would decline to asess if appropriate interventions have not been put in place already. There may however be a casefor applying anyway as the LEA may then instruct the school to put interventions in place, the downside of this is there will be a period of time before you can apply again.

Keeping on goos terms with the school can help at this point as getting them to say the right things at this point is crucial. You may need to bite your tongue if they say in writing that thaey have done more than they have!

We were turned down on out first request for asessment for J but were successful on appeal because we are able to provide documentary eveidence that the school were putting resources in place, in particular J was requiring the (prety much) full time attentions of the classsroom assistant in reception whio was there for the whole class.

This all makes it especially important that the school is 'on the ball' in terms of producing IEPs, action plans etc. and keeps a not of any interventions required so there is satisfactory evedince for the panel to consider when you do apply for assessment.

Simon

It is, I suspect, true that the lEA would decline to asess if appropriate interventions have not been put in place already. There may however be a casefor applying anyway as the LEA may then instruct the school to put interventions in place, the downside of this is there will be a period of time before you can apply again.

I agree. If nothing else, a parental request will see the provision currently in place carefuly examined. The upshot of which may only result in adjustments to it. If there are stratergies that could be being used that are not then these will be highlighted, and hopefully used.

I always think it is good to try and keep a good relationship with the school whenever possible (some schools seem to go out of there way not to reciprocate this though). But it all goes in your favour if you can show that you have at least tried to work with them. As Simon says when the weight of evidence clearly shows that steps have been taken and have not worked then they are left with little option but to go the statementing route in order to support him. Schools and LEAs run on red tape - they have procedures for jsut about everything and won't be rushed through them! So use this time to build your portfolio of evidence to show your commitment.