Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

Relationship with the toddler

Just thought I'd like to share this bit of good news with you all - Martin is finally getting on with the toddler and the answer was so simple!

Background to this is, I originally had 4 kids (Martin youngest twin) then I "inherited" a nephew at 16 months old. Since his arrival Martin has had terrible problems adjusting to him, he tried to play but didn't understand when the baby didn't want to, he even followed his twin sister's actions but still things went wrong and things were getting pretty bad with Martin getting aggressive towards the toddler and the toddler getting scared of Martin.

One day I had had enough so I took Martin and the baby(now 20 months) into the kitchen and asked M why he was getting like this as it wasn't fair on the baby. M replied "what did it matter as the baby didn't understand him anyway."

FINALLY WE HAD HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

M believed that because the toddler couldn't communicate properly with him he therefore couldn't understand him either. I explained that at the moment the toddler could understand what you said to him but couldn't respond clearly as his vocal cords weren't completely formed yet and the best way to get him talk more clearly was to talk with him and explain what you were doing when you play with him. Just because he didn't talk properly didn't mean he wasn't intelligent.

It was a complete transformation :wub: Martin took him, chatted to him, played with him and has been treating his wonderfully ever since. The other day the toddler gave him a huge hug

>:D<<'> and Martin said: "Why is he hugging me?"

I told Martin it was because the little one loved him and that was how he showed it. Just the way we hug Martin to show him we love him too.

And guess what, he hasn't told the baby he's stupid or anything since then and plays with him. We still get the occasional winge from the little one when Martin overstays his welcome in the play department but Martin has learned to back off now when toddler gives the winge signal which is fab!

Very happy,

Daisy