Sign in to follow this  
puffin

No reaction

I had "the AS talk" with M a couple of days ago. I got no reaction from her - no questions, no relief/anger/disappointment/ happiness - no nothing.

I'm not really sure how to interpret this? Should I bring up the subject again or let it lie until she wants to talk about it? It's a problem that M has no ability to talk about her feelings.

I tried to talk about the Little Angels programme with Sofie - but she didn't react much to this either

Com has a 2 month assimilation period for big concepts like this - leave it a while now you've 'seeded' the ideas and try again in a few months if they don't bring it up themselves.

lack of reaction may be simply that she has just been told something that makes perfect sense to her so it doesn't need discussion - she knew she was different, this just gives it a name

take care

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

I agree with Zemanski leave it for awhile and let it sink in. David listened and then left it for a couple of days. Then we had zillions of questions. Matthew has known from day one because of David and for a year or so was most upset and did not want this autism at all. It was only when he began having problems at school he would talk about it and only then because I think he saw it as his 'Get out of Jail FREE' card :lol: I have a friend who told her son and three month down the line he has probably only mentioned it once.

Carole

When we told Martin (aged 9) he said "so?" and went back to doing whatever it was. It's taken him around 4 months to understand and he still doesn't get Aspergers Syndrome - he calls himself "Autistic" and leaves it at that.

I think it probably just takes time.

Daisy

Hi Puffin - I tend to agree with others I think I'd take my cue from your daughter and go at her pace, let it lie for a while and see if she brings it up, just because you got no response doesn't mean she didn't hear you. She may not feel the need to respond or she may take time to assimilate stuff. Perhaps just mention AS more casually from time to time so she gets used to hearing it and I'm sure if and when she needs to know more she will find a way to tell you.

Good luck - luv Witsend.

It's a lot to process. I have AS, and I often don't react to something until several days afterwards. It can take a while for me to be able to verbalise how I feel about something.

Perhaps you could tell her that if she has any questions about Asperger Syndrome, you can help her find an answer. And leave it at that until she wants to talk more.

Thanks for the answers - I think I'll let it rest for a while.

After the talk I gave her a coppy of "Adam's alternative sports day" and I caught her reading it on the sofa yesterday evening - although she put it down when she saw me watching her - so I think that she's still working through it in her head and doesn't want to talk yet