Sign in to follow this  
Deborah 1

I FEEL SO IN THE DARK

My little boy will be three next month he has speech and language problems. He has a vocabulary of about twenty words. He is still in nappies and still will not part with his baby cup. We use board maker or makaton pictures with him. Just lately I have noticed he is becoming more and more aggressive. Today I had him at the swimming pool and he was pushing anyone who came in his path out the way or hitting out at them. He doesn?t seem to view people as people but as obstacles in his way.

We are going through the PREFCAT system at the moment and are waiting to find out what is wrong. I asked the speech therapist if she thought he has ASD she said his speech came with in the triad for ASD. The Pediatrician: ... is going to reassess him again as his last meeting was not a success my little boy would have nothing to do with him. Strange man strange environment doesn?t work for him. At the meeting the Pediatrician mention he could have a hyper active disorder but I am sure there is more to it then that

I feel so alone trying to come to terms with what might be wrong with him, wondering if it is my fault and ploughing my way through all these books and feeling I am getting more and more confused.

I am so glad I found this forum as it seems to be very good and very helpful

Looking at all the information I have found and read with the problems my little boy has he seems to fit within the ASD. I am dreading how long we are going to have to wait before we find out what is wrong.

Hi

welcome to the forum, you are in the right place :)

The diagnosis process can take a while. My son was 4.5 - having first raised our concerns when he was 2.5 years. While we were waiting we just proceeded as though he had ASD.

Elaine

Welcome to the forum deborah :) you have come to the right place.

It might be a good idea if you did a profile of your child, from birth, note all his behaviours and differences, bullet points will do. It will also help if you can give accounts of incidents when these behaviours were seen. Give the professional a copy, and keep copies, you may need them in the future.

I'm sure you will be able to identify with some of the many postings on here. Looking at the diagnostic criteria for autism, asperger and ADHD may help. Parents know their children best, the professional may understand autism but he doesn't know your child.

If you have any questions, please ask, someone will always answer.

Good luck

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi Deborah,

Welcome to the forum :)

The people here have become my second family :thumbs: .

Please don't think that what is going on with your little boy is your fault. Going through the diagnosis process sets off a roller-coaster of emotions, it's a very common thing to happen.

We're all here for you.

Annie

>:D<<'>