Sign in to follow this  
Deborah 1

has anyone else noticed this

I have been having the most terrible weekend with Luke. He will be three next month. Did anyone else notice the tantrums and aggression got worse when their child hit this age group. Luke is still being accessed but I have never seen him being as bad as he has this weekend. I tried to change his nappy and he tried to bite kick and hit me. It was the high pitch screams that really got to me. He scratched my face as well. What i found really scary was a soon as this started he was back to his old self within ten minutes as if nothing had happened. I kept telling him no he has speech and language issues so a sentence of words is out the question.

great ful for any fed back on this as it is really getting me down

Deborah :crying:

I didn't experience this with Com but I've read lots of posts describing much the same - 3 year olds are prone to tantrums at the best of times but ASD three year olds can be very volitile.

hope someone answers from personal experience for you soon

>:D<<'>

Zemanski

Yes we had this with Matthew. Until he hit three he was a dream child but all of that changed almost overnight. I am sure that he grew horns and a tail :devil: The 'NO' word always provoked a major outbust and life was a total nightmare for a full year. Slowly as his language and comprehension progressed the outburst became less and less.

I do not have any answers or advice for you sadly it was just something we somehow got through. I think the important thing is never to give in for a quite life. In someways I feel that Matthew was testing us to see just how much of his own way he could get. Give in once and they have won - I know that for a fact :(

I have a parent in our local group who is also walking a similar path. Her son hit three and all hell broke lose.

It did get better for us. Hope it does for you.

Carole

Hi Deborah :)

I had this a lot with mine when he was 3 until he was around 7 he is better now but I had a terrible time with people nearly calling the police in the street or in the shop i stoped going to the shop with him all toghether, because he could not controle himself he had devastating tantrum sometimes impossible to explain really. :crying:

Then somehow they seemed to decrease in time (I had sen him with tantrum for more than 40 mns) then in intensity he still has some of it but never as bad, B)

It can be very challenging and I found it nearly impossible sometimes to keep calm. :angry:

My main advice would be to reduce the situation when he is at his worst and prepare him for every trip even to the shop or change to routine. Try to be firm and bribe him when he is good, may be a shart for "no tantrum outside" would help and then another one for the tantrum inside, however most of the time it is I think due to sensory pb because their mind and their body get tired quicker, with my son it seems that when his language became more sophisticated and he was able to express his emotions things improved a great deal. B)

Really when they are so young the best is to try to avoid possible tantrum situation as much as you can which implied that you can predict it and this is not always possible. :tearful:

Best of luck.

Malika.

Hiya, Max at 3 was the same, its hard and upsetting. Now at 5, its rare he gets aggressive. I think for Max being able to communicate and understand communication more has helped, we can explain in simple terms about things, that before would cause uproar. Also preparing him for situations with photographs stopped alot of the anxiety which triggered the agression. Ive been headbutted, hit, bit all sorts at 3. But I was also just learning about his autism, I found once I understood it and what affected Max, I was able to cope more, and he's alot calmer nowadays.

Hope you find a way through, its tough, but you can get there.

Jo