Sign in to follow this  
mossgrove

Baroness Warnock

Just an observation!

I tuned into the Parliament Channel to see if there were any report and on their round up of the day in Parliament, there was absolutely no mention of Baroness Warnock giving her evidence, nor did I see it reported in the news channels.

I think that the White Paper has killed this off in the water.

The whole nature of things has taken a different direction and this is worrying.

Best Wishes

HelenL

As far as I can tell only the Guardian have mentioned her comments at all.

I am very concerned that once schools are fully independent thay will actively discourage children from SEN from attending, as the will have ample incentives for doing so. Mary Warnock has come to the same conclusion, but nobody in authority appears to be listening.

Simon

You and me both Simon.

I am very worried that at the moment, there seems to be an extraordinary high level of exclusions and a push towards the blame for behaviour being laid at the door of parents and 'Parenting Skills' and Family Therapy classes springing up.

It is my opinion that, there is a little history being built up and that when we go on our shopping expedition for the school that we want for our children, then the 'history' will go against us.

I have today seen a report written by an Ed Psycho about a child with AS and there is no mention whatsoever that the child has AS in this report. There is descriptive language used about this childs behaviour, perception etc that, to the uninformed eye, would indicate that this child has some severy emotional and behavioural difficulties and the report very cleverly undermines mum. The report praises the school as being wonderful. There has been a very serious mismanagement of this 'statemented' child which has led to some issues but my concern is that none of it is being attributed to his AS - nay - his AS is not even being mentioned or acknowledged!!! - How will this boy manage to get the place of choice when this little report is dug up and placed before a selection panel or other mechanism at one of our new 'independent' schools.

This report was not copied in to the Health Professionals who normally deal with this child but mention was made of mum giving permission for the CAHMS team to be approached for assistance for the family.

I am very very worried that this seems to be a collabroation between a professional employed by the LEA and a school (the school is VA) and it could have an absolutely catastrophic effect on this child and his families future.

HelenL

I think that I have to agree that the White Paper killed off this enquiry and someone managed to silence the press yesterday. After so much publicity about Mary Warnock and her U turn why no mention on ANY of the main news programmes.

I think that this enquiry is now a 'lip service' exercise and that the Government think that this will allow us to 'get it out of our systems'

I attended a local meeting yesterday and came away totally disgusted. After last attending a meeting of this group some two years ago, we were expected to pick up where we left off two years ago, and formulate an autism plan in 90 mins. :wacko: When I voiced my concerns and objections I was looked at as if I was a complete nutter who had no idea about anything any way. However the Ed Psy in the meeting agreed with me :o and said that she felt that we needed two full days to look at the plan in detail. Again this was met with scorn and she eventually managed to get a further four hour meeting, so long as we promised that they could take a break in the middle because they found all of this very hard work :o What do these people think that it is like living with the condition?

I came home with a 40 point plan that needs action on every point and told to submit mine before the next meeting. The others who said they bump into each other all of the time any way will be able to swap notes. I am very very :angry: and have not quite decided what I am going to do about this.

If this is the colour of the future then it is BLACK.

Carole

Hi Carole,

It is interesting that you mention that the press were quiet on such a momentous declaration of a complete U turn.

What have they been told? I know that there were some media people who were showing an interest last week and who now seem to have gone to ground on this one. What on earth is happening.

Best wishes

HelenL

Erm Helen well there has been some interest today - I will return your call asap.

Carole