Sign in to follow this  
hev

steves blood pressure

took steve to cahms yesterday,his blood pressure was a bit high and he now weighs 14 stone and is 5ft 6,he is just 12,i know the pressure is due to his weight,im so upset its come to this,he is NEVER ever full up,my mum said to think of it like we have been given a warning,i am never buying a buiscuit or crisps again,if i can get his weight down i think it would help,i havent slept all night

Hev >:D<<'> I know how an emotional time this can be

I have a little 4 year old, well not so little he's 4ft2 and just over 5 stone now but was over 6 1/2 stone and only 3ft 6 last Christmas, who is also never full and will sneek crisps, biscuits etc if he can.

I scared myself for a week by writing down everything he ate, me and his Dad kept diaries. One morning we got up, I gave him 3 pancakes for his breakfast at 7am, I went out his Dad gave him cereals, 4 more pancakes, 2 slices of toast, and then he asked for toast off me when I got in at 11am and cereals after that. He'd also gone through 3 pints of milk. He was 3.

I have said what I did before which was to throw everything out that I had in the house which was not healthy and rethink the way I shopped. Bought fruit and raisins etc instead of the biccys,crisps and other snacks. I threw the fryer out and replaced it with a grilling machine. And we got a dog, to basically make us get out of the house and start walking. We also take him to the park in summer months very regular and indoor play areas in winter. Exercise is very hard for him as he has asthma.

Its not easy breaking the habits, I found it extremey hard, but I knew I had to. Getting your sons weight down will probably make a dramatic difference.

Best of luck Hev.

(Have you tried contacting GP and asking for a referal to a dietician for help/support ? )

Edited by lil_me

hello lil me,ive dumped all the crisps,biccies etc,i feel more positive now,if the food not in the house he cant eat it

That is exactly why I did it Hev, borke my heart in a way as I knew I had spent a lot of money on it but I also was basically feeding my son this, I wouldn't say cut out all treats, just be much more careful. I make a lot more homemade food, treats etc than I used to as then I can make it as we eat rather than having a box full of biscuits etc. If you need to rant at anyone just shout of me, PM/Email/MSN. I know what you are going through and here to listen if you need me.

Flora Proactive now do a yoghurt drink that it supposed to help reducing blood pressure. Comes in strawberry and raspberry flavours. It's not cheap at around �2 for 4 drinks, but it might be a short-term solution while you look at his diet.

YES I NOTICED THAT I AM DEF GOING TO BUY SOME,HES DOING SO WELL WITH THE EATING,I HAVE NOT BROUGHT JUNK AND HE HASENT ASKED FOR IT :clap:

M used to self medicate herself with food - especially sweets and crisps that she'd actually steal if we didn't have them. She has actually been a lot better since she started on Concerta although she still likes sweets.

If you can get hime to eat healthier versions of what he likes grilled and oven baked meat rather than fried, eat more fruit and veg and take a bit of exercise it will probably help a lot. The other thing is that if he was very stressed at CAMHS - then this could also be a reason for high blood pressure.

hello puffin,yes the doctor at cahms said a lot of people get stressed at docs,hosp etc so there blood pressure does go up,ive stuck to buying fruit all the time and lower fat versions of food he likes,hes doing quite well lately,its a struggle though as he uses food as a comfort

steves contact book today said

"we have noticed that steven has 2 main courses and 2 desserts if they are available,would you agree to us allowing steven to have one of each only?"

i wondered why he had put on so much weight lately!glad school have noticed,am still buying fruit at home,hes doing really well

I think you definately need to make sure school are included in this, if he's eating so much at school you are fighting a loosing battle at home. It does get easier, PM me if you need a rant >:D<<'>