Sign in to follow this  
nvapid

false victories

everytime i think I have made headway on an issue it all gets turned around! The EP went exactly as I hoped it would not, but knew it would go... B had a good morning.

The EP was saying things like:

I don't want to use the AS label as he is creative (even tho B is off in his own world when he is being creative)

there is no question of dylexia as his reading is good (but we weren't worried about his reading skills - it's his listening skills that are poor! And he admitted to that but would not help)

i can see why he doesn't have friends - kids this age are boring, and learning how to deal with boring people is a life skill he has to just get on with (reguardless of the freinds he used to have who are now preying on him because they can now see how different he is.)

he has a good teacher this year - so as the LEA only deals with right now we will not agress to assess for stastement to support his transition to secondary school because that is in the future

which leaves me with the conclusion that the LEA is not in any way preventitive only punitive

AND - that IEP I wrote and was accepted by the SENco and teacher? got rewritten to the old objectives. I have refused to sign it and am going in on thursday to fight it again.

does anyone ever win?

Yes they do!

Stand your ground on that IEP. I'd also be inclined to ask what training the EP has got in ASD issues. If they haven't then you could justify a request for another appraisal by one who has.

Far too many schools and LEAs seem to be reactive to 'issues' when they wouldn't have an 'issue' if they were proactive to concerns!

The EP was saying things like:

I don't want to use the AS label as he is creative (even tho B is off in his own world when he is being creative)

there is no question of dylexia as his reading is good (but we weren't worried about his reading skills - it's his listening skills that are poor! And he admitted to that but would not help)

Regarding your meeting with the EP - when can you expect written feedback from the EP? If the feedback isn't productive then I think you ought to challenge what the EP has said to you - in writing, as part of some further parental advice.

In an earlier post you said:

In our desperation we went through our family doctor (who is brilliant!) and had our son assessed through the Child Development Centre (CDC). He was seen by child psychologists, educational psychologists, and physiotherapists ? the lot. It took over a year, but our son was diagnosed as Apsergers.

You could remind the EP of this and you could also mention how his/her defiant inaction to acknowledge your son's diagnosis could impact on your son's entire special educational needs.

so as the LEA only deals with right now we will not agress to assess for stastement to support his transition to secondary school because that is in the future

You mention transition, is your son nearly 11 yrs? The reason why I ask is because a considerable amount of time can be taken up between the statutory request (with a possible appeal) and the statmenting process (with a probable appeal). The sooner your LEA addresses your son's needs the better it will be for him.

Hi

The EP isn't qualified to make a diagnosis and he/she should remember that! The only safe diagnosis is the one made by a team of medically trained professionals working in tandem - just like I gather happened when your son got his diagnosis of Asperger's.

In terms of getting assessed for the statement, we used every bit of medical (consultant paediatrician), clinical pyschologist, speech therapist, etc evidence that we could lay our hands on. The paediatrician even wrote us a supporting statement.

Have you made a parental request for assessment? If not, do so. That way you can appeal against the refusal to assess. It takes it out of the hands of the education system (ie relying on support from the EP, etc) and puts it firmly within your control. I can thoroughly recommend it!

Good luck.

we are in the process... we have applied, sent in all of our documentation - one inch of it, and the ep came to make his intial meeting to decide whether to assess or not.

The EP isn't qualified to make a diagnosis and he/she should remember that!

Quite right. What's more they are not qualified to challenge a dx either!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Also the COP says this about IEP's and transition in the primary phase

Individual Education Plans

5:50 Strategies employed to enable the child to progress should be recorded within an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Further information on managing IEPs and Group Education Plans can be found in the SEN Toolkit. The IEP should include information about:

the short-term targets set for or by the child

the teaching strategies to be used

the provision to be put in place

when the plan is to be reviewed

success and/or exit criteria

outcomes (to be recorded when IEP is reviewed).

5:51 The IEP should only record that which is additional to or different from the differentiated curriculum plan, which is in place as part of provision for all children. The IEP should be crisply written and focus on three or four individual targets, chosen from those relating to the key areas of communication, literacy, mathematics, and behaviour and social skills that match the child?s needs. The IEP should be discussed with the child and the parents.

5:52 Where a child with identified SEN is at serious risk of disaffection or exclusion the IEP should reflect appropriate strategies to meet their needs. A Pastoral Support Programme should not be used to replace the graduated response to special educational needs.

Reviewing IEPs

5:53 IEPs should be reviewed at least twice a year. Ideally they should be reviewed termly, or possibly more frequently for some children. At least one review in the year could coincide with a routine Parents? Evening, although schools should recognise that some parents will prefer a private meeting. Reviews need not be unduly formal, but parents? views on the child?s progress should be sought and they should be consulted as part of the review process. Wherever possible, the child should also take part in the review process and be involved in setting the targets. If the child is not involved in the review, their ascertainable views should be considered in any discussion.

School transfer

5:66 When children move schools, either at phase transfer or at any other time, primary schools are required to transfer school records for all pupils within 15 school days of the child ceasing to be registered at the school.32 However when transfer arrangements are made in advance it is good practice for information to be provided in time for appropriate planning by the receiving school. Secondary schools or a new primary school should receive the school records of all pupils identified by their primary schools as having special educational needs. When such a pupil is admitted to a new school, the school should be in possession of a good deal of useful information about the child, including any detailed background information collated by the primary school SENCO; copies of IEPs prepared in support of intervention through School Action or School Action Plus; and any statements of special educational needs.

Probably singing to the converted, but hope you get this sorted.

HHxx

turns out no one knows how to fill in an IEP. :wallbash::wallbash:

I feel angry and sorry for these teachers - especially the ones who try. We spent 45 mins discussing what the columns mean on an iep and what should go in them.

*sigh*

There has GOT to be an easier way. :wallbash::wallbash:

we'll see what version three looks like... :tearful:

nvapid. Your story is all too familiar. My son is in year 6 and I'm currently fighting the LEA (waiting for tribunal date) to have him assessed. Your furstrations over the 'hear and now' approach is something I totally relate to; in the case of my son he's often had someone observing him for an hour, they see a quiet well behaved child and so conclude that he's 'fine'. My son has huge problems with school, he is off more times than he is there, and yet the LEA still stick to the mantra 'his needs are being met'. :angry: It does make my blood boil.

Don't give up. You Know you are right and they are wrong. Stand your ground and don't leave any stone unturned.

Lauren

You'll get there. If version three is still not right go for version four! I have had my own sons re-written on a number of occasions as I did not like the way things were worded. The school didn't like it but I gave them no choice.

(DAD hat off - school hat on.)

There can be no excuses about being able to write an IEP - you can even get software to help you do it for crying out loud. They are not new any more - they hava been around for a fair few years, before that was the old records of support. So ALL schools should be used to the concept by now. They are making excuses - feeble ones. These things are important, for all sorts of reasons. Even if it does take a few hours to sit and write them (and it shouldn't) then they have to do it.

Don't settle for second best. Get one your happy with. You are entitled to have a say in what goes into it whether they like it or not. Keep going.