Sign in to follow this  
DAS999

Picture communication

Does picture communication help (PECS REBUS)? even in verbal people?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Does picture communication help (PECS REBUS)? even in verbal people?

• Yes with verbal
    • Yes with non-verbal
    • No with verbal
    • No with non-verbal
    • Have not tried

Hi, considering picture timetables with my girlfriend and picture communication when at melt down point. Does anyone have any views on this? Written instructions seem to confuse and stress her out and I need a way to communicate with her when she is in / near / post meltdown.

Thanks

x

Well, I have found using visual timetables with my son, who is verbal, very helpful (even now he is 16). I write everything on the timetable, but no pictures...unless I get carried away and decorate the Christmas one!

I use a picture timetable for my 4 year old (midle of assessments).

Bid :)

B) Hi

Yes had to agree think picture signs/ timetables are great helps prevent mega meltdowns when something is going to be different or we change something.Eg when going away at christmas we use our timetable with pictures and symbols a lot his help show Char what we are doing and in what order.

Give it a go it's worth a try if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything

Lisa x

I definately think it would be a good idea. When I saw Ros Blackburn she spoke about this and said that sometimes she needs to use PECS when she can't find the words for what she wants to say, sometimes she gets over excited or has a meltdown and her verbal ability is lost temporarily until she is calm again.

sometimes she gets over excited or has a meltdown and her verbal ability is lost temporarily until she is calm again

this is my girlfriend all over mega meltdown no talking during meltdown followed by up to 24 hours of no talking

Thanks for the replys