Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

During Assessment

My son M is not yet diagnosed. We are going through the 'long' process at the moment. I was interested reading another post about 'when is the right time to tell your child about AS' The answers suggested some left it several years before they said anything and others did it straight away. I wondered what you told your child when they were being assessed? M has been seen by CAMHS but I needed to prepare him as he doesn't like change so I told him we were going to see a special doctor about his temper tantrums. Next was Speech and Language when I told him I was concerned about his understanding when he was spoken to. I find it very hard when at these appointments to talk about his problems in front of him as we don't make an issue out of it at other times. I am concerned when he goes to the Communication Disorder Assessment Clinic that he will need further explanations and I will need to tell him more. Just wanted some advice on how to deal with this.

Thanks

;) Hi

I just told my son that there were some things he found difficult or confusing and we were going to see someone who could help us to help him, and make his life easier so that he could be happier, or words to that effect !!!! I explained also that everybody was different, like the leaves on a tree, all belonging to the same thing, but each a little different. also some people were good at sports and others were bad, some good at maths and bad at english and vice versa etc. Some people were short, fat, tall thin black hair blond etc. Everybody needed help with something. He accepted all of this very well.

good luck

Spectrumlady

Henry has always had a lot of contact with hospitals and doctors etc, so when he was being assessed I just told him that another doctor wanted to have a chat with him and see how clever he was. He is always happy to "perform" for doctors, therapists, teachers etc.