Sign in to follow this  
dorsetmummy

is

Is there anybody out there actually doing anything grrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry but i am just soooooooooo angry.

They expect me to take my child back to school on monday, put her in exactly the same situation as before grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have to wait for an appointment on 7th dec for an assessment, i can ask then if they think a special school would be appropiate, i need to ask now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The headmaster seems to be making it up as he goes along grrrrrrrrrrr.

I just dont like him and dont want to send her back there.

I cant send her to a different school , co sthe other school i was looking at doesnt have a place available for year 1 (little brother) but has 9 places available for year 3 (sophies year) so i seem to be stuck at the school shes at at the moment grrrrrrrrrrrr

I have seen the school nurse this morning, she is going to wtrite to the hospital and tell them of all the difficulties, but again i dont get to see them until 7th dec grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

An education social worker was supposed to come this morning but hasnt arrived, but i then find a message was left yesterday that i missed to say that she cant come until mionday grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

he whole system - if you can call it that is a complete - dont think i can put it here- grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i want her out of that school now but i dont have a choice grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I want answers NOW but i am not getting any grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am so angry.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I'm so sorry you are going through such a terrible time >:D<<'> .

Others on this forum (including myself) have been through similar with their children and have had them "signed off" school on medical grounds by their GPs.

If going to school is causing your daughter stress and anxiety, then this might be an option until the assessment?

My son was off school due to extreme anxiety and stress in mainstream school when he was 5. He ended up being excluded twice because of this.

I had him at home with me for 18 months whilst we waited for a diagnosis and statement. Now he's in a special school and is doing well. Even though 18 months is a very long time, he couldn't have coped in mainstream any longer.

All the best,

Loulou x

I am sorry you are having such a hard time.

I think youu should consider carefully whether or not it is appropriate to send Sophie to school until you have had your review meeting. If you know in your heart she shouldn't be there, I would be inclined to keep her at home if you can manage that domestically.

You would be very unlikely to get serious flak about this as you are plainly trying your hardest to get her into education that meets her needs. If you can get your GP's support that would be even better.

Simon

I discussed this morning with the school nurse, that i didnt want to take sophie back there, into exactly the same situation.

I mentioned that i would like to have her at home with me until something more solid has been put in place, ie either a special school or help in mainstream.

I mentioned that i understood all about deregistering, and that i was seriuosly thinking of doing this, because the whole system is failing her at the moment.

Rather than take her back to the same school i would rather have her at home.

But in my hearts of hearts i dont want her to go back there, and i dont think i would be strong enough to home educate permantely.

What i am wondering is whether i can deregister her and have her at home until other arrangements have been made, again cant get any answers until mionday when i see the edu s w.

But now you have given me another idea about the gp signing her off.

I just rang the surgery and they have a training sessions at the moment, so cant give me an appointment until i ring back at 2, but they assured me they can fit me in.

Now i on a mission.

if i keep typing the time will go quicker until i can ring for an appointmnet!!!

Julie

Julie

I would keep her at home but not deregister her, at least until after all the visits/reviews have take place, when you can look at the issue again. Deregistering when you do not intend to HE permanently is not adviseable because Sophie may effectively 'disappear' and go without provision for ages.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Hi,

I'm sorry I know how difficult this situation can be.

Simon has given you good advice. I wouldn't advise anyone to deregister their child without careful thought and planning. Home education does not suit every child or every parent, is needs careful consideration.

Good luck with the GP. If he fails to support you I would still suggest keeping your child off school under you have had your review.

Nellie >:D<<'>

One way or the other i intend to keep her at home, i have a drs appointment for 4pm. Hopefully i can persuade him to sign her off, but failing that what are my rights to just keep her at home until the assessment?

I can of course ask the edu s w on monday, but i want to know now!!

Julie

The letter of the law is probably that you should send her to school, but it at least arguable that you are not obliged to send her if it is detrimental to her well-being, so the law in prctice isn't entirely clear. If your GP is happy to write a letter (Ours was) then you are in the clear.

If you persist in not sending her the school may report you to social services who would then send the Education Social Worker who is coming to see you anyway. Sadly, many schools appear more bothered about their attendance figures than child welfare.

I have never heard of any action beyond this being taken against anyone who is making a sincere effort to get a child with special needs into education.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Hi Julie.

Sorry I can't offer much other than (((HUGS))) but just wanted to say that I heard on the news thismorning (regarding the teenage stabbing) that it is NOT against the law to keep your child at home as long as he/she is getting educated. (I never knew that!). Soo, by law, I'd keep her home and request school work from the school, that way you are not breaking the law and everyone is happy until the assessment.

Hope that helps.

Jules x

A lot of good that did, just told me to ask at the assessment.

someone tells you one thing and someones else tell you something else, am i getting really pissed off with it now.

I am not taking her back to school until someone goes with me to speak to them, but again its waiting waiting waiting, so and so will call back see you when they can be bothered grrrrrrrrrrrr

lets hope i can get somewhere with the educational social worker on monday.

I have never cried so much in all my life.

julie

I heard on the news thismorning (regarding the teenage stabbing) that it is NOT against the law to keep your child at home as long as he/she is getting educated.

This is true if your child is not registered to attend school and you must prove that you are providing an adequate education.

If you de-register your child you will probably get very little help from your LEA.

If you don't send your child to school without a good reason the EWO will want to know why. Personally I think if a child can't cope because of inadequate provision and the child's emotional health is suffering, it's fair to say the child is unfit for school. Maybe your GP doesn't understand ASD or the situation

I hope the Educ. Social Worker is helpful.

Stay strong

Nellie >:D<<'>