Sign in to follow this  
Tez

School in Special Measures

Would you send your child to a school in special measures?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you send your child to a school in special measures?

• My child does/has been to failing school
    • Yes
    • No
    • Depends

A's school has just failed its Ofsted inspection and been placed in special measures. No real surprise to me or the school. All the schools in the north of our borough, where I live, have now been placed in special measures. There is a very clear north/south divide, with the schools in the south achieving well above the national average and the schools in the north performing well below.

I am probably in the unique position among parents at the school in being able to negotiate for a different school, since A's provisional statement is about to be issued. However, I think I am inclined to still name this school as his base since he will only be able to attend part time anyway. I have a number of queries that I want answering by the school before IO commit myself but they are currently incommunicado and so these will have to wait.

While I mull the matter over, I would appreciate any views that anyone might have on whether they would send their child to a failing school if they had a choice in the matter or indeed, whether anyone's child does or has been to a school in special measures and whether this made it easier or harder to get their unique needs met.

my children did attend a 'failing school' and I worked in one - both were great schools

my children's school failed due to falling numbers really - the community was having a hard time with students taking over and all the schools had falling roles. It meant that any child that didn't achieve average pulled the average of the school well down and they just couldn't compete in the league tables.

but there were many advantages - no uniform which meant Com could wear what he felt comfortable with,

class sizes under 20 - Com's class had just 16 children and never less than 2 LSAs even before he got his own support

an open door community approach to learning which meant we were not only welcomed but expected to be in school on an almost daily basis - very close first name relationships with staff were encouraged and the children were comfortable with lots of people around them but with plenty of space to find refuge which I'm sure did a lot for Com's social skills in his early years.

and the atmosphere was really positive

The school I worked in was a unique school and couldn't hope to meet targets - it took 2/3 EAL children from all over the world, most of whom came with no English and rarely stayed more than a couple of years coming in at any time of the year into any year group.

it too had a really warm atmosphere and worked very hard for all its pupils each of whom was very much an individual

it all depends on what you are looking for from a school - I've been in beacon schools I wouldn't send my dog to never mind my AS child!

Zemanski

Interesting question, Tez. I voted "depends" as there are many reasons why a school may be "failing" as Zemanski has illustrated, and the reasons may not be related to the dedication of the staff.

I don't have any personal experience of this, but I live near a primary school which was singled out by Ofsted as one of the top 10 in the country. A friend recently withdrew her son, who has ASD and epilepsy, after one year as he was very unhappy and unsettled. He is now much happier in his "ordinary" school where there is less pressure to conform, and he is well supported.

My daughter's ex school regularly receives very good Ofsted reports and in the league tables usually features among the top 250 state schools. Her needs weren't met - you know the rest!

I suppose one has to look at the school with an open mind and consider what your child needs - if there is a good fit, it doesn't matter what the inspectors say.

I would agree with Zemanski - i've just had to chose which juniour school to send M to next year..

One was all singing, all dancing, stacks of money in the pot, excellent ofsted report, swimming pool, etc.. - around 38 per class....

The other has one class per year, about 20 per class, not so much money, not such a great ofsted report (though still good), little shabby around the edges... :rolleyes:

I chose the second school. M would not cope in the first - it's far too interested in pushing the children in every way.

When it came down to it - the second school was quite simply 'nice'. The children chatted easily to the Headmaster and teachers as they showed us around the school. They looked out for each other. It has a friendly atmosphere. The Head was easy to talk to and has a good understanding of ASDs.

If your happy with the school - i'd leave him there xxx

I do have to say something in the defense of 'top achieving' schools, just to redress the balance

Dot's current primary is also one of those top 250, it is huge (well over 500 children) with large classes.

it's a great place, popular because of it's atmosphere and very much part of the community - we were lucky to get a place for Dot when her old school closed

the senco and staff in general there are fantastic and Dot is really thriving (severely dyslexic, NT) as are other SEN kids including several ASD kids. I know 4 AS kids who transfered to Com's high school this year and without exception their parents have said they were happy at primary (2 specifically chose this school and travelled in from across the city) but are now struggling in high school.

you need to visit schools during the school day and if they smell wrong steer clear

Zemanski

Hi,

In my experience, a good ofsted report doesnt always reflect the quality of the staff. I worked temporarily in a school in special measures. It was a fantastic place and in all honesty I think it probably failed because the staff were so busy caring for and educating their children that they didn't have the time to jump through the hoops that other schools do to ensure that they pass ofsted.

I have also worked in schools where the preparation for ofsted has meant that childrens lessons have been negleted because staff are so busy ensuring that their paperwork is pristine and their lesson plans are super dooper ready for ofsted week! Preparation usually lasts six weeks or more, causes no end of anxiety in school staff and really at the end of the day ofsted usually get a false impression of the school.

I think I heard that the system is due to change and schools will only be given a few days notice before inspections. I believe that this will give a more realistic picture of our schools.

BTW if your child's school is in special measures, it will be recieving extra support to bring it up to scratch, this usually results in extra staffing at least until the standard has been reached.

The ofsted system changed this year. Dot's school was among the first to be inspected with 3 days notice. The inspectors chose a really good two days, there was an open day on the second day and the place was just crawling with governors and parents.

you should have seen the head's face the day she got the notice :sick: - I think they would have cancelled the open day but it was all written up in their plans so they couldn't

they got an excellent report - I secretly suspect the open day was a good thing to show ofsted.

I still like smaller more intimate schools really though

Zemanski

I've had to put depends too, in my experience the schools that are "meeting targets" do so by pushing out anyone who doesnt conform.

Also my best friends mother is a teacher and has been for over 30 years and just recently she has decided to retire. The reason for this is that although she is quite possibly the best teacher in the whole world (not that i'm biased :lol: ) she just failed her ofsted. Why? because she spends more time being a traditional teacher, caring for & working with the children than she does filing paperwork!!

I would rather my son(s) be dealt with by an old school teacher any day!!

Hi Z,

I wasn't sure if it had already changed. Does that mean no more big inspections and 6 weeks of jittery senior management and terrified teachers - YIPPEE! We had ofsted last May, what a carry on!

I think the new system will ensure consistant standards :clap:

I can't defend A's school and say it's a wonderful place because it isn't; it fully deserved to fail its Ofsted Inspection for numerous reasons.

There are many reasons why I should not even consider sending A back there - they were unable to stop the horrendous bullying he endured, most of the staff lack any awareness of ASDs and have no interest in learning, the general standard of teaching is abysmal, the school lacks any type of organisation and has no idea of how to communicate either among themselves or with parents, it's poorly managed, bullying is endemic, its ill disciplined and many classes are so badly controlled its impossible to learn.

So why would I even consider sending my child back there if it's so bad and I have other options? Firstly, and most importantly A says that if he has to go back to school at all he wants it to be this school since he has a couple of friends there and the admin staff like him and are really supportive of him. He also has a few teachers that he feels that he can trust and confide in. This trust has taken a time to establish and isn't something that he could easily establish elsewhere.

The EP has recommended part time schooling only, no longer than 1 hour per day and this has been backed by the Doctor. A's Geography teacher and Science teacher are exceptionally caring and these are the subjects that the EP is suggesting A tries in school.

All other schools within a reasonable area are also failing schools with similar problems, the better schools in the south would require an hour's taxi drive each way at peak times and A just could not cope with this. If he was to make friends at one of the better schools it would be very difficult for him to have contact with them outside of school due to the distances involved. Parents of other ASD children have told me that their experience of ASD in the better schools is that they just don't get the support and understanding that they need, inclusive education = no support beyond the first month.

So all things being balanced I am still veering towards his existing school but I do need them or the LEA to answer some questions as to if a school in special measures could accomodate the unusal arrangement we require.

I have no doubt I am completely mad and shouldn't even be considering this but it is hard to see any better alternative.