Sign in to follow this  
witsend

Scouts

Hi everyone - well I've had a weird beard week in one way and another - will prob be posting shortly on latest shenanagins at school - but in the meantime just wanted some advice about the latest issue, ie scouts!

My son was in beavers years ago, it didn't work out well, he found it boring and they did a lot of craft stuff he couldn't do he left after a few weeks when one of the leaders ( a 17 yr old boy) lost his rag with my son causing a big hoo ha :(

At the time the (older female) leader was quite apologetic re the other 'leaders' outburst towards my son, loooking back I'd say it was him not my son who was out of order, but at the time we had no dx and I presumed my sons behaviour coupled with this leaders impatience just meant the whole thing was a bad mix.

Anyway for the past week my son has been wanting to join (a differant) local scout group (2 of his classmates are in it) and the school caretaker is involved and has gave me the phone number of the leader. I rang her yesterday and she sounded v nice and said to broing my son along tomorrow to see what he thinks. She also said they are off on a camping weekend in a couple of weeks (lake district) and my son is welcome to come if he wants to :wacko:

Well son is now v excited, he loves the idea of the camping and is v enthusiastic about the whole scout thing. I'm pleased to think he may have a new group activity but am a bit worried (as usual) about how he will fit in and how he will be perceived.

So first should I tell leader about his AS? I don't really want to because I hope it won't be necessary and I don't want him to be singled out or for them to jump on the least little thing because of his dx. But do you think I have a duty to tell them??

The mother of one of the classmates who goes is a nasty peice of work and caused a lot of probs for my son a few years ago (getting others not to invite him for tea etc.. :( ) so I'm worried about that too.

The 2nd thing is the camping thing, I'm sure son will enjoy it but am worried re the safety aspect, I feel like I should tell them he needs extra supervision but of course this would mean going into details about dx, and I dread them saying he can't go. When my son went on school trip (residential weekend) recently there were no probs, he is very outgoing and charming, so he probably would be fine :wacko:

Would appreciate your views - luv Witsend.

As an ex cubs leader I'd say yes, tell them. My son's all went to the pack I was leader at, and it worked very well. We had other children from my school come, one with AS specifically because I was there and knew how to handle him. Phas Jr (the eldest - AS) tried 2 different Scout packs. The first failed miserably. The second were brilliant. I went and talked to the leader and explained AS to him, he went off and read up on it. Phas Jr went there for 3 yrs. There were a few times when things went wrong but they were soon sorted.

If they refuse to allow him to join because of his dx they are actually breaking the law (DDA to be precise) and could be in serious trouble.

If he gets a good pack he'll be in seventh heaven - I hope he does. Good luck.

Former cub and scout leader myself. Had two kids through cubs with AS not including my own son which makes three. One of the AS kids is now in our scout troop. He has been on quite a few camps and loves them.

But yes, do tell the leaders, it helps immensly to know of every child's situation whatever that may be. When I first encountered AS it was when I was a cub leader, before my own child was even dx'd and it helped me cope with my own son's dx that much more.

Remember cub and scout leaders are trained in equality and when they encounter something new (which it may be) we make sure we gen up as much as possible to help that individuals needs.

Daisy

Thanks - I am a bit wary I suppose because I don't know the scout leader and what her attitude might be, it's good to know they can't stop him joining because of his AS. I've just dropped him off and met the leader she seemed nice but haven't had chance to talk to her about it yet. I'll see how tonight goes and then probably phone her to discuss it. Finger crossed she's as understanding as you two.

Luv Witsend.

witsend, my youngest son goes to cubs and they are fab with him. They understand all his learning difficulties and the group leader said he'd had training in autism and was totally unfased by it. They are really good when it comes to doing badges and other activities and always take in to account my son's difficulties when they are doing any activities.

I don't know about other cub groups, but the one my son goes to are quite strict about some things and without them being aware of my son having ASD they would probably think he was badly behaved but instead they are very kind and understanding and do all they can to make sure he gets the most out of it without feeling singled out.

My advice would be to put them in the picture.

Lauren

Please tell them, I am a youth leader and it causes so many problems when we are not told about a childs problems.

A classic example was a few years back when I was a cub leader. I took a group away camping, first morning one tent were awakened early as the tent door was wide open and the sixers sleeping bag covered in mud. So I had a chsat with them all about closing tents when they had been out for a wee and not walking mud over other people. Next night about 11 o'clock I was in the hut getting bits ready for the following day, when a leader from another group came in with one of my younger cubs who he had found wandering round the car park (50 yards from a busy dual carriageway) barefoot in his PJ's. Soon became obvious that the kids was sleep walking, managed to get him to sit down with a blanket round him, while I pulled out the consent form, next thing we knew he was fitting on the floor, mild panic now (as I'm sure you can imagine) from all the leaders present.

Ambulance immediatly phoned, as the consent form had nothing about either sleep walking or epilepsy.

So I phone the parents to inform them, and let them know we were going off to hospital and they could meet us there (campsite only about 10 miles from home town). They were very unimpressed at being woken up at that time of night, and informed me that their son often sleep walked and had fits, but they had not put it on his form in case I didn't take him to camp, which would have been inconvienent as they had a wedding to go to :wacko: .

I would have taken their son had I been aware, but I would have taken precautions, such as putting him at the back of a tent next to a light sleeper, making sure his tent mates were aware of his problems.

So please tell his scout leader, give him as much information as he needs.

I would definately tell them

When i put my son into cubs i went to see the Akela first & talked to her about him. He stayed in cubs for 2 years with no problems at all. Then he moved up to scouts & I didnt go to see the leader there. He was asked to leave within a matter of weeks & in fact wanted to, as they decided that they were going to play football on a particular day & Cameron HATES football so didnt want to join in, they tried to enforce it & he ran away & tried to jump in front of some cars :(

They had to call the police to get him home *sigh*

If i had told him about things to start with it may not have happened, i just assumed that the information would have travelled upwards with the child.

Hi Minerva,

Information should travel upwards, outwards (and abroad even) with the child as scouting is a worldwide association and everyone is warranted and police checked so info can be passed between sections as long as parents have signed the original health forms.

I feel for you Tensing with the epileptic sleepwalker, we had a child with asthma came on camp one year and we weren't infomed, he didn't bring his inhalers or anything and of course he had an attack because he was camping in the middle of a field in high summer. Luckily our first aid training kicked in easily enough but he was out of it for half a day after the attack. I phoned his parents to ask if he had asthma and they said yes, he had but didn't think it was important enough to put on the form....aaaaargh! Needless to say I made his father come up to camp with his inhalers!

Guest hallyscomet

Can't add any more than agree with what the others say

I hope it all goes well for you and your child B)

We just have to keep trying :)

Regards

Hailey

Hi Minerva,

Information should travel upwards, outwards (and abroad even) with the child as scouting is a worldwide association and everyone is warranted and police checked so info can be passed between sections as long as parents have signed the original health forms.

I feel for you Tensing with the epileptic sleepwalker, we had a child with asthma came on camp one year and we weren't infomed, he didn't bring his inhalers or anything and of course he had an attack because he was camping in the middle of a field in high summer. Luckily our first aid training kicked in easily enough but he was out of it for half a day after the attack. I phoned his parents to ask if he had asthma and they said yes, he had but didn't think it was important enough to put on the form....aaaaargh! Needless to say I made his father come up to camp with his inhalers!

Thanks Daisy,

I'm sure the scout leader was petrified at the time....I did think he would have been told & I'm glad i wasn't wrong for assuming that. Felt as if it was my fault for a bit!

Nicke

Hi and thanks agian for your replies. I phoned the scout leader today and told her about sons AS etc, she was fine about it all, she already knew a bit about dyslexia and was quite willing to hear about AS and how it affects my son. She said it's good to be aware of it so now she can help my son in the areas he may need it B) .

So that's a releif. She said son is welcome to go on night hike (tonight - now!!) and camp next week :unsure: Son is very excited. I'm a bag of nerves sat here waiting for him to get back from night hike and will prob be mega stressed next weekend while he's off in the Lakes in December! But nothing ventured..... :blink:

Only an hour to go and I'll know if he's back in one piece.

Luv Witsend.

Thats brilliant! B)

I hope he has enjoyed the night hike (they were great fun) :ph34r: . More to the point I hope this is the start of a whole new set of experiences for him. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you that tonight has been a success.

Thanks Phas, last night was a great success, he came home knackered but happy B) and actually took himself off to bed and fell asleep!! Obviously night hikes have been what he needs for some time :lol:

Roll on camp.

Luv Witsend.

awww i'm glad its working out for you!

perhaps i should try & find another local scout group so my son can have a fresh start :unsure:

erm ummm maybe lol